Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: thewizard16 on February 09, 2019, 12:18:56 PM
Rentals over the last few months:

A4 (S package)- My first experience using Silvercar. An unusual set-up that isn't really more convenient than the major rental companies (if you have good status with them/don't have to stop at the counter anyway), but the predictability is nice. I really liked the A4, the interior design is nice aside from the tacked on screen look (popular but I hate that look). Enjoyable to drive. Still though, the whole time I drove it I was having Passat maintenance flashbacks and thinking "no, Matt... she'll just hurt you."

Chevy Cruze - Decent if uninteresting. Drives acceptably. Interior isn't hideous aside from the weird fabric dash thing that looks dated already.

Chevy Malibu - This is probably most disappointing modern car I've driven. For all the hype Chevy pushes on it I was expecting it to be pretty nice... But it's worse than the new Camry, Optima, or Sonata (my standards of comparison) in basically every way I cared about. It's decently styled, but it's slow, handles poorly, the transmission never seems to know what gear it wants to be in, it doesn't have the standard tech or safety features of some of the others, and the interior is hideous and feels cheap. The fabric padded dash thing is my new most hated design idea.

Chevy Silverado 1500 - It's a good looking truck and the interior is basically the same as a base Tahoe. I'm a fan although I think the F150 is probably a better vehicle overall.

Chevy Tahoe - I've always had a soft spot for these. Although I learned quickly it's not a convenient commuting vehicle and it's a pain in the ass to drive/park downtown I still like it a lot.

Ford F150 - I like the Silverado styling better, but the interior on the Ford seemed a little nicer and it had more toys.

Kia Optima - Decent all around car. Decent looking, decent interior, decent to drive. Nothing exceptional but hard to be offended.

Kia Soul - I hate this thing. It's slow. It's inefficient. It's not nice inside. There must be better small SUV options available.

Hyundai Accent - This was literally all they had at the counter last minute. It's a cheap car that features a brake pedal and a volume pedal. (As far as I can tell anyway, because it did get louder but I didn't notice any change in velocity.)

Hyundai Elantra - Not a bad car. Reasonably nice interior for the price, good tech features, and it drove alright, if a bit floaty.

Nissan Sentra - I almost like this car for a cheaper small vehicle. Not a bad interior, drives acceptably and feels quicker than the Cruze although that may be an illusion.

Toyota Camry (new model) - I was pleasantly surprised by this car. The Camry has always been a good all around car but the last two generations weren't all that great in my opinion. The new one has stepped up its game significantly when it comes to interior quality and features. It also handled better than I'd expected for a base model. The transmission was slow to downshift when passing which was irritating but otherwise I really liked that car.

I haven't really had any maintenance issues with my Audi (A6) so far.  I say go for it and get yourself an A4!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

thewizard16

Quote from: dazzleman on February 09, 2019, 01:30:51 PM
I haven't really had any maintenance issues with my Audi (A6) so far.  I say go for it and get yourself an A4!
I thought about a CPO Audi but the GS is an entirely different/nicer segment than the A4, and although I like the style of the A6 and the 3.0T was cheaper than the same year GS350, I'm just gonna need a little break from VW/Audi for at least a few years.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

dazzleman

Quote from: thewizard16 on February 09, 2019, 01:36:03 PM
I thought about a CPO Audi but the GS is an entirely different/nicer segment than the A4, and although I like the style of the A6 and the 3.0T was cheaper than the same year GS350, I'm just gonna need a little break from VW/Audi for at least a few years.

Are you still a speed demon?  :evildude:  The GS350 looks pretty sweet and either one will probably be more than sufficiently responsive to your demanding right foot.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

thewizard16

Quote from: dazzleman on February 09, 2019, 03:14:15 PM
Are you still a speed demon?  :evildude:  The GS350 looks pretty sweet and either one will probably be more than sufficiently responsive to your demanding right foot.
...I haven't gotten caught lately but I haven't slowed down any. If anything sitting an hour a day in traffic makes me want to speed whenever possible.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

dazzleman

Quote from: thewizard16 on February 09, 2019, 03:34:43 PM
...I haven't gotten caught lately but I haven't slowed down any. If anything sitting an hour a day in traffic makes me want to speed whenever possible.

:lol: That's what I wanted to hear.  Sitting in traffic has the same effect on me.  It makes me want to speed all the more whenever I can.

The A6 is a great car for speeding.  It has a great feel and is very responsive to my right foot, and handles very well.  I love the feel of high speed in this car.  I imagine the Lexus is similar, though the marketing is a bit different.  I find lots of cars are great speeding vehicles, even if not marketed that way.

Last summer when I went to Seattle, I rented a Chevrolet Impala.  That was emphatically NOT a good speeding vehicle, though maybe it could have been better if I had gotten more used to it.  It was just too big, and with all the parking there being in cramped indoor/tiered lots, it was inconvenient.  I would never rent a big car like that again for only 2 people.

MrH

Quote from: thewizard16 on February 09, 2019, 12:18:56 PM
Rentals over the last few months:

A4 (S package)- My first experience using Silvercar. An unusual set-up that isn't really more convenient than the major rental companies (if you have good status with them/don't have to stop at the counter anyway), but the predictability is nice. I really liked the A4, the interior design is nice aside from the tacked on screen look (popular but I hate that look). Enjoyable to drive. Still though, the whole time I drove it I was having Passat maintenance flashbacks and thinking "no, Matt... she'll just hurt you."

Chevy Cruze - Decent if uninteresting. Drives acceptably. Interior isn't hideous aside from the weird fabric dash thing that looks dated already.

Chevy Malibu - This is probably most disappointing modern car I've driven. For all the hype Chevy pushes on it I was expecting it to be pretty nice... But it's worse than the new Camry, Optima, or Sonata (my standards of comparison) in basically every way I cared about. It's decently styled, but it's slow, handles poorly, the transmission never seems to know what gear it wants to be in, it doesn't have the standard tech or safety features of some of the others, and the interior is hideous and feels cheap. The fabric padded dash thing is my new most hated design idea.

Chevy Silverado 1500 - It's a good looking truck and the interior is basically the same as a base Tahoe. I'm a fan although I think the F150 is probably a better vehicle overall.

Chevy Tahoe - I've always had a soft spot for these. Although I learned quickly it's not a convenient commuting vehicle and it's a pain in the ass to drive/park downtown I still like it a lot.

Ford F150 - I like the Silverado styling better, but the interior on the Ford seemed a little nicer and it had more toys.

Kia Optima - Decent all around car. Decent looking, decent interior, decent to drive. Nothing exceptional but hard to be offended.

Kia Soul - I hate this thing. It's slow. It's inefficient. It's not nice inside. There must be better small SUV options available.

Hyundai Accent - This was literally all they had at the counter last minute. It's a cheap car that features a brake pedal and a volume pedal. (As far as I can tell anyway, because it did get louder but I didn't notice any change in velocity.)

Hyundai Elantra - Not a bad car. Reasonably nice interior for the price, good tech features, and it drove alright, if a bit floaty.

Nissan Sentra - I almost like this car for a cheaper small vehicle. Not a bad interior, drives acceptably and feels quicker than the Cruze although that may be an illusion.

Toyota Camry (new model) - I was pleasantly surprised by this car. The Camry has always been a good all around car but the last two generations weren't all that great in my opinion. The new one has stepped up its game significantly when it comes to interior quality and features. It also handled better than I'd expected for a base model. The transmission was slow to downshift when passing which was irritating but otherwise I really liked that car.

Hey, don't hate on the Cruze fabric padded dash.  That's what we could offer GM to make the interior a little nicer than just painted plastic :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Had a Kia Optima this weekend. I really liked it. Compared to my 2004 Mazda6 it has a bit more power, a bit more backseat room, and rides better. Partially because the Mazda needs new front shocks. :lol: But it was very composed and could cruise down the highway at 90 with ease.

It had lane assist which was annoying the first day. It would bing when I'd go near the lines to avoid a pothole or semi-truck. But today I turned on active assist and had fun watching the wheel move itself. I turned it on and off throughout the day depending on road/traffic conditions. The emergency braking was on but obviously I didn't test that. I never turned the driver attention stuff on. It also had some annoying music when you got in the car, so I turned that off immediately.

The touchscreen was nice - easy to use and responsive. The aux cord was very quiet - I had to mess with the audio equalizer to hear podcasts. Bluetooth worked pretty well, except for the first phone call I attempted that was super choppy and I had to hang up. I turned off bluetooth on my phone and waited a few minutes to connect again and after that it was fine. I never messed with Android Auto. Can that work via Bluetooth? Last car I was in required a USB connection for Android Auto, so I wasn't sure and didn't have the car long enough to bother with it.

Interior materials were fine. Not luxurious, but not bad. I'm not picky when it comes to that. The design is very nice and BMW-like. My only complaint was the the steering wheel didn't telescope and the center stack dug into my knee a bit, so it took me a few minutes to adjust to the seating position and get comfortable. Higher trim levels might have a telescoping wheel which would be good for taller drivers. The switches on the wheel are cool.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

I like the interior of mine. They spent the money in the right places for the market... the underpinnings are pure economy car for better or worse

Makes me appreciate Hondas more
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Since I had the rental spec, it had more tire sidewall. I think I'd prefer that for a DD. It soaked up bumps super well.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 26, 2019, 08:10:14 PM
Since I had the rental spec, it had more tire sidewall. I think I'd prefer that for a DD. It soaked up bumps super well.

Bring back the sidewall!
15 inch wheels ftw!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

thewizard16

Quote from: MrH on February 18, 2019, 12:34:15 PM
Hey, don't hate on the Cruze fabric padded dash.  That's what we could offer GM to make the interior a little nicer than just painted plastic :lol:
:lol: Fair enough.

Had an IS300 AWD for about a week recently. Not a big fan. Admittedly it's a bit smaller car than I'm used to but the seats seemed especially cramped (and I am not a large person). Fit/finish/quality were fine but I expected a little bit better from a premium brand even if it is one of their cheaper models. No complaints about how it drove but it didn't seem exceptionally engaging for a supposed sports sedan.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 26, 2019, 08:11:34 PM
Bring back the sidewall!
15 inch wheels ftw!

Dude for real though.

The 20" rims on the Honda Passport, a vehicle that's supposedly intended to be slightly more offroad friendly than the average CUV, made me :rolleyes: pretty hard.

93JC

I have a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe for a business trip tomorrow. So far in the scant few km I've driven it it's... okay. Steering feels light to me, it's not particularly quick (haven't peeked under the hood but I presume this is the 185 hp 2.4 L) and the interior design is nothing special, but it seems quiet and smooth so far.

93JC

The Santa Fe was thoroughly 'meh'. Seating position sucked though, so I'd never ever buy one (or rent another) for that reason alone. The car was designed for shorter drivers, so the steering wheel doesn't telescope out far enough to be comfortable for anyone 5'-10"ish or taller. The seat itself is also of the sort that has height adjustment, but only from the back, so it tilts forward as you jack the seat up. Problem with that is the seat is already leaning a little forward even at its lowest position. The lumbar support (non-adjustable in the trim I had) was also at the entirely wrong spot and was pushing too low: again, a symptom of being designed with a much shorter driver in mind.

The ride was fairly comfortable and the car was quiet, but it did have a tendency for the rear to come a little loose over mid-corner bumps. All cars will do this to some extent, but this was particularly noticeable to me. Probably would have been better if there was cargo and passengers in the back to weigh it down a bit more.

The 8-speed transmission was also very very economical-minded in its programming. Very, very quick to upshift. Thrown into manual mode it actually had decent get-up-and-go, but you really needed to put your foot into it.

CaminoRacer

I had that problem in the Optima I rented. It desperately needed a telescoping wheel.

BimmerM3

Got a Jetta for the week. I mostly like it except the steering is... weird.

I think the problem is that it's really quick steering, but almost zero feedback. To my brain, almost zero feedback = Explorer, which definitely does not have quick steering. So I was super darty with lane changes when I first got in the car because I was trying to use Explorer steering inputs.

Laconian

D'ohhhhh, I lost my free Executive upgrade benefit. Google's cheaping out on me :cry:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 13, 2019, 12:05:32 AM

I think the problem is that it's really quick steering, but almost zero feedback. To my brain, almost zero feedback = Explorer, which definitely does not have quick steering. So I was super darty with lane changes when I first got in the car because I was trying to use Explorer steering inputs.

Not a great combination!

veeman

Had a new Wrangler with the family as a rental in Toronto for a day.  Had reserved a full size sedan but the counter guy upgraded me.  Very comfortable front seats.  Dash is nice.  The pitch and roll guage is cool although only works at low speeds I think.  Hardly feel potholes.  Also the ride is fairly quiet.  I thought it would be much noisier.  Needs constant course correction on the highway.  Never tracks straight which gets old quick. 

Currently in a Toyota Sequoia visiting Zion and Bryce Parks with the family in Utah.  Reserved a Ford Explorer but Budget was out of them and they gave me a minivan.  I complained but that's all they had (so they said).  Then the minivan they assigned me was the wrong one and I had to go back to the counter.  On the way back I spotted a Sequoia and asked if I could have that and the manager said that would be fine (even though that's a higher class of vehicle than I had reserved). Cool!  Holy huge.  Mostly it's the width especially with the side view mirrors that's a bit cumbersome in parking garages and lots.  This one is a very base model so the interior decor is nothing great.  But it's comfortable.  Highway ride is very relaxed and smooth.  Even at 85 or even 90 mph.  Love the open roads of the Utah desert! 

giant_mtb

You taw is beauuuuutiful.

93JC

Have a Grand Cherokee for the next couple days on a business trip to the scenic, podunk hamlet of Grande Cache, Alberta. Feeling fortunate I have the Jeep, we ended up having to detour on a forestry road because of an overturned truck on the highway.

CALL_911

I'm driving a Ford Flex this week. Thing is a total landbarge

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 23, 2019, 09:22:58 PM

It must be having trouble meeting the demands of your right foot.  :evildude:

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on April 23, 2019, 10:57:55 PM
It must be having trouble meeting the demands of your right foot.  :evildude:

The Ford V6 SUVs pull really well but they're floaty and feel biggggggg.

AutobahnSHO

They do make one of those with the twin turbo V6. But yeah I can't see it feeling "sporty".
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on April 23, 2019, 11:09:56 PM
The Ford V6 SUVs pull really well but they're floaty and feel biggggggg.
I was going to say my wife's MKX's 4400lb curb weight is obscene but that seems to be the norm for the segment

It drives OK though; didn't miss my car much when we took it up to the mountains.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

Quote from: 93JC on April 23, 2019, 04:00:01 PM
Have a Grand Cherokee for the next couple days on a business trip to the scenic, podunk hamlet of Grande Cache, Alberta. Feeling fortunate I have the Jeep, we ended up having to detour on a forestry road because of an overturned truck on the highway.

Have to give this thing back later today; so far it has been quite nice. Leans a lot in the corners which is an unusual feeling relative to my daily driver, but it has loads of power and the drive is very well composed otherwise. I can see why people like these and they sell well.

BimmerM3

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 13, 2019, 12:05:32 AM

Follow up on this. The steering was fine after I got used to it, but I never got used to how the car gets on the power from a stand still. It felt like I was riding around with someone who was new at driving stick shift - there'd be a lot of slip in the torque converter and I wouldn't move much, then it would suddenly give me ALL THE POWER and fling the car forward.

The best solution I found was to leave it in "Eco" mode to cut down on throttle response, and it still wasn't great. :(

As a side note, the in-dash Android Auto was sweet. I use the app on my phone + bluetooth in the Explorer, but the clean look of a built in HU was nice, and the UI is a little better (in most ways). I will say that I wish there were physical buttons for switching between the main functions, particularly navigation and music since I was switching back and forth between those pretty frequently.

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 25, 2019, 08:22:18 AM
Follow up on this. The steering was fine after I got used to it, but I never got used to how the car gets on the power from a stand still. It felt like I was riding around with someone who was new at driving stick shift - there'd be a lot of slip in the torque converter and I wouldn't move much, then it would suddenly give me ALL THE POWER and fling the car forward.

The best solution I found was to leave it in "Eco" mode to cut down on throttle response, and it still wasn't great. :(

As a side note, the in-dash Android Auto was sweet. I use the app on my phone + bluetooth in the Explorer, but the clean look of a built in HU was nice, and the UI is a little better (in most ways). I will say that I wish there were physical buttons for switching between the main functions, particularly navigation and music since I was switching back and forth between those pretty frequently.

Torque converter? I thought these things use DSG's?

veeman

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 23, 2019, 09:22:58 PM

I've never driven one of those but always wanted to.  Is it more ponderous than a minivan or about the same?