Chalked tires violate the 4th Amendment?

Started by Laconian, April 23, 2019, 11:47:15 PM

Laconian

Every city is going to use databases and cameras now. :facepalm:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Chalking tires, fuckwads putting fliers under your windshield wiper, etc...all the same. Stay the FUCK away from my private property. Don't touch my shit, yo.

93JC

Seems asinine that they consider it a "search".

Quote from: Laconian on April 23, 2019, 11:58:04 PM
Every city is going to use databases and cameras now. :facepalm:

That's what we do now. Camera cars that track licence plates:

Ruthlessly efficient and pretty much no recourse for appeal.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 24, 2019, 05:41:20 AM
Chalking tires, fuckwads putting fliers under your windshield wiper, etc...all the same. Stay the FUCK away from my private property. Don't touch my shit, yo.
Private property in public space = different rules

But this seems extreme.

The bigger issue is that govts use this regressive and punitive system as a means of revenue, rather than negotiating a transparent budget with its citizens.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

I'm more outraged on police and parking officers now scanning and logging the position of your car every chance they get
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Y'all get chalked tires where y'all live?

Columbus has had the plate scanners for at least five years now.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on April 24, 2019, 11:19:49 AM

I honestly didn't even know that this was a thing.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 24, 2019, 08:45:48 AM
Private property in public space = different rules

........right, that's why a court just ruled that it isn't different rules......?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on April 24, 2019, 11:19:49 AM

In some of the suburbs. Detroit has eliminated pretty much all the old school meters. There are some in hamtramck.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 24, 2019, 02:57:27 PM
In some of the suburbs. Detroit has eliminated pretty much all the old school meters. There are some in hamtramck.

My mama was born in Hamtramck.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 24, 2019, 02:57:27 PM

Yeah, I did notice the "pay online" shit in Detroit. Columbus is doing something similar, much to the chagrin of the neighborhoods affected.

They cut basically all the meters on the side streets of the trendy Short North district, and required everyone to use an app to pay online. The good news, is now you can park on streets where you used to wed a city permit. The bad news is they expanded the areas that needed permits, and clamped down on how many units get permits. Lots of houses in the short north are duplexes cut into several units. Each unit only gets two permits. Any new construction was supposed to have adequate off-street parking factored into the design. Lots of people are livid; many with more than one roommate now literally can't park their car at their house.

MX793

I'm so glad I live someplace where houses have driveways and most places have parking lots.  I think it's been years since I've needed to parallel park.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

HurricaneSteve

The real question is...do you still remember how to if you had to?

Quote from: MX793 on April 24, 2019, 03:45:07 PM
I'm so glad I live someplace where houses have driveways and most places have parking lots.  I think it's been years since I've needed to parallel park.

MX793

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 24, 2019, 04:10:24 PM

Sure.  I spent years driving forklifts, which is remarkably like driving a car in reverse.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on April 24, 2019, 04:50:23 PM
Sure.  I spent years driving forklifts, which is remarkably like driving a car in reverse.

And all terrain fork lifts are like driving a tractor in reverse. It's better to have the big tires up front!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 24, 2019, 05:04:58 PM
And all terrain fork lifts are like driving a tractor in reverse. It's better to have the big tires up front!

Yeah, spent some time driving one of those, too.  Good thing it had separate brake pedals for the left and right big wheels so you could skid-steer it, because the turning radius was not great.  And having a shift lever poking out between your legs from under the seat, with a backwards pattern, was also pretty weird.  Ours had a weak throttle spring, so the throttle pedal was more like a light switch and not at the most ergonomic angle.  Tried to avoid driving it when I could.
Needs more Jiggawatts

dazzleman

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 24, 2019, 04:10:24 PM

I parallel park every couple of weeks.  I am very hit or miss with it.  Sometimes I do well and other times i fuck it all up and.have to start over.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

My town has a 72 hour parking limit. Even in front of your own house. It's a bit ridiculous. I get the point of that rule for enforcing the area by the college and college housing, but for normal people it's dumb. You should be able to keep your car parked outside your house for a week when you're on vacation.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 24, 2019, 06:56:50 PM
My town has a 72 hour parking limit. Even in front of your own house. It's a bit ridiculous. I get the point of that rule for enforcing the area by the college and college housing, but for normal people it's dumb. You should be able to keep your car parked outside your house for a week when you're on vacation.

Weird - I've seen areas like that before but they typically have a permit for residents that omit them from enforcement.

giant_mtb

My town doesn't have paid street parking of any kind. Hafta go to da big city of Marquette to find any parking meters, and there are only a couple areas of the city that actually have them (central downtown, where it's busiest, basically). 

Only parking restriction we have is the winter parking ban...no parking on the street 2AM-6AM from Nov. 1 through April 30.  However, you probably won't get a ticket unless you're an idiot and your car becomes an issue for the plows.  Like now, the ban is technically still on, but since we've been lucky this spring, there's no reason to enforce as it as there's no reason for the plows to be out.