Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

MrH

So is fraud apparently.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Still hopelessly short on the stock?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

To me Tesla's big problem is quality. The established players have had 120 years to get fit, finish & interiors right. But they're sticking EV power trains into whatever identikit clone crossover platforms they have. Much like their forebears began by putting petrol engines in horse drawn carriages.
But this stage is almost over, and the big guys are starting to do dedicated EV platforms with decent drivetrains PLUS their forté, the good fit 'n' finish that Tesla's struggling with.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

mzziaz

True, I suppose, but Tesla have the tech advantage, the supercharger network and some pretty good brand equity.
Cuore Sportivo

afty

To Morris's point above about established automakers sticking EV powertrains into random ICE platforms:

"Currently, Tesla has larger batteries because their cars are built around the batteries. Tesla is two years ahead in terms of computing and software architecture, and in autonomous driving as well." 
-- Audi CEO Markus Duesmann (https://www.autonews.com/sales/audi-expects-pre-pandemic-sales-levels-2022-23)

Morris Minor

mzziaz

Cybertruck is not coming to Europe.

Bummer, as I'd put in a deposit on it.
Cuore Sportivo

veeman

Cybertruck doesn't seem like a good fit for Europe.  It's too big as an everyday driver and doubt it makes much sense as a contractor's or farmer's truck which would probably need to be sometimes driven long distances. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on August 13, 2020, 11:32:27 AM
Cybertruck doesn't seem like a good fit for Europe.  It's too big as an everyday driver and doubt it makes much sense as a contractor's or farmer's truck which would probably need to be sometimes driven long distances. 

No, but Norway and Finland might have a market for it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

mzziaz

I live in the countryside, so space restrictions isn't really an issue.

I have absolutely no need for a pickup truck though, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
Cuore Sportivo

Morris Minor

Quote from: mzziaz on August 14, 2020, 02:25:40 PM

I have absolutely no need for a pickup truck though, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
Perhaps you get a grey import. My neighbor bought a fully loaded Ram with all the chrome & leather goodies it was possible to have. "I don't need it - I've just always wanted one." His wife is in an old Lexus LX with zillions of miles - his desire for a new toy takes precedence over her need for a new replacement.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: mzziaz on August 14, 2020, 02:25:40 PM

Ha this thing will barely fit on roads here. Roads there???  :D
Will

mzziaz

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 15, 2020, 05:29:04 AM
Perhaps you get a grey import. My neighbor bought a fully loaded Ram with all the chrome & leather goodies it was possible to have. "I don't need it - I've just always wanted one." His wife is in an old Lexus LX with zillions of miles - his desire for a new toy takes precedence over her need for a new replacement.

The problem is that the CT doesn't conform to Euro regulations (the problem seems to be the exoskeleton and crash/pedestrian safety regs),so grey import would probably be finicky at best.

Also it would kind of be a pain since there are different standards for the charging port. The supercharger network would probably not work, either.
Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 15, 2020, 05:34:14 AM
Ha this thing will barely fit on roads here. Roads there???  :D

The production version of the CT will probably be around 5% smaller than the concept vehicle
Cuore Sportivo

Morris Minor

TSLA closed north of $1,800 today.

But, having watched Jonny Smith's impressions of the VW ID.3 last night, it's pretty clear that the big guys are lumbering into action.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 17, 2020, 02:43:17 PM
TSLA closed north of $1,800 today.

But, having watched Jonny Smith's impressions of the VW ID.3 last night, it's pretty clear that the big guys are lumbering into action.

Corona stimulus checks => WallStreetBets "day traders" => TSLA
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Now > $2k. Better to spend your ronabucks on decent booze. But that's just me.

SJ_GTI

Musk is on track to be the richest person in the world. All on the back of a scam, impressive!

Morris Minor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 26, 2020, 11:03:40 AM
Musk is on track to be the richest person in the world. All on the back of a scam, impressive!
I think his Starlink venture is more compelling than the electric vehicles thing. If there were a Starlink IPO I'd be all over it - but that's unlikely from what I read.

veeman

My brother in law put up for sale a week or so ago his model S long range AWD.  Nothing wrong with it.  About 3 years old with 25 some thousand miles on it.  Full autodrive which does apparently also transfer to a new owner. Has minor body damage in a rear quarter panel (deep scratch).  He's just bored and wants a model y. 

Tesla low balled him as did dealerships and Carmax refused to put an offer for it.  Out of their price range.

So he put it on Autotrader.  $75 thousand.  No inquiries yet.

He's looking at a very small group of people who have 75 grand burning a hole in their pocket and would want a 3 year old model S when a new model 3 or soon available model y can be had with all the bells and whistles for less money. 

afty

$75k for that car seems high. You can buy a new long range Model S with full self driving for about $86k.

veeman

The kbb private party value range says 68-76 thousand.  I know kbb isn't super accurate though.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on August 28, 2020, 01:59:51 PM
My brother in law put up for sale a week or so ago his model S long range AWD.  Nothing wrong with it.  About 3 years old with 25 some thousand miles on it.  Full autodrive which does apparently also transfer to a new owner. Has minor body damage in a rear quarter panel (deep scratch).  He's just bored and wants a model y. 

Tesla low balled him as did dealerships and Carmax refused to put an offer for it.  Out of their price range.

So he put it on Autotrader.  $75 thousand.  No inquiries yet.

He's looking at a very small group of people who have 75 grand burning a hole in their pocket and would want a 3 year old model S when a new model 3 or soon available model y can be had with all the bells and whistles for less money. 

I would guess most people with that kind of money for a car want new, or will want to price it for the very lowest they could get it....
Will

MrH

KBB is way off.  You can get Model S's like that for $60k.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on August 31, 2020, 09:52:26 AM
KBB is way off.  You can get Model S's like that for $60k.

Yeah, unless his area is more expensive for some reason.

My boss bought a Model S with like 100k miles so it was quite a bit cheaper :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

So their 5-for-1 stock split is done. Price is $480-ish.

mzziaz

Pricing is absolutely crazy. I'm about to do a MrH on it
Cuore Sportivo

r0tor

Sweet jesus... 1100hp, 200mph, 500 mile range... For $140k

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-plaid-price/
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

afty

Quote from: r0tor on September 22, 2020, 06:27:06 PM
Sweet jesus... 1100hp, 200mph, 500 mile range... For $140k

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-plaid-price/
Sub 2 seconds to 60, sub 9 second quarter, 1:30.3 around Laguna Seca (same as Randy Pobst in a GT3 RS)!

Morris Minor

I loved the drive-in movie setup for the AGM/Battery Day. Honking horns for applause.