Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 03, 2020, 02:20:13 PM
Don't you guys have a holiday down there, first Monday of August?

I think it's a full moon :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

So I get handed a ticket for a '93 Chevy G20 van today. Customer says just had new front pads and rear shoes put on at another place, but they didn't align the brakes right. Check and adjust. :facepalm:

I do two laps around the building and can't find a Chevy van, or any van. So I go back to the service desk and ask wtf. Oh, it's a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer. Thanks. Why does the ticket say 1993 Chevy G20? FFS. Whatever.

I pull the Trailblazer in and look at the brakes. 4-wheel disc, BTW. Everything is new. Even the parking brake works. I drive it around the parking lot. Brakes are perfect. What the fuck am I doing?

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 03, 2020, 05:40:30 PM
So I get handed a ticket for a '93 Chevy G20 van today. Customer says just had new front pads and rear shoes put on at another place, but they didn't align the brakes right. Check and adjust. :facepalm:

I do two laps around the building and can't find a Chevy van, or any van. So I go back to the service desk and ask wtf. Oh, it's a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer. Thanks. Why does the ticket say 1993 Chevy G20? FFS. Whatever.

I pull the Trailblazer in and look at the brakes. 4-wheel disc, BTW. Everything is new. Even the parking brake works. I drive it around the parking lot. Brakes are perfect. What the fuck am I doing?

Ha. You have stupid service writers, too. Those idiots should be replaced with computers.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on August 03, 2020, 06:40:21 PM
Ha. You have stupid service writers, too. Those idiots should be replaced with computers.

To be fair, it was the customer that said they have a 1993 Chevy G20 and needed a brake alignment. But, yeah, service writers ...

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 03, 2020, 08:13:53 PM
To be fair, it was the customer that said they have a 1993 Chevy G20 and needed a brake alignment. But, yeah, service writers ...

Did the customer bring the wrong car? lol
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 04, 2020, 10:12:16 AM
Did the customer bring the wrong car? lol

Well, you can't expect them to drive the car with bad brakes, can you?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 04, 2020, 10:54:39 AM
Well, you can't expect them to drive the car with bad brakes, can you?

They were new brakes ... just out of alignment. :confused:

Eye of the Tiger

Welp, I already broke one car before 9 AM. Changed a damn oil pressure sensor on a fucking Crown Vic and cracked the shitty aluminum oil filter adapter housing. Who the fuck puts NPT threads in a shitty, thin fucking wall, poorly cast piece of shit aluminum? Ferd.

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 07, 2020, 07:42:56 AM
Welp, I already broke one car before 9 AM. Changed a damn oil pressure sensor on a fucking Crown Vic and cracked the shitty aluminum oil filter adapter housing. Who the fuck puts NPT threads in a shitty, thin fucking wall, poorly cast piece of shit aluminum? Ferd.

You aren't supposed to use a half inch drive impact wrench on an oil sender.   :muffin: :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on August 07, 2020, 08:47:34 AM
You aren't supposed to use a half inch drive impact wrench on an oil sender.   :muffin: :lol:

I didn't. I used an 18" long breaker bar. :evildude:

Eye of the Tiger

"Hey my car feels floaty in the front, check the suspension"

Try to pull it in the shop, and the engine barely runs. 5.4 Ford is missing on one or two cylinders. Seems to be rich, so probably a coil or plug.

The ABS is going haywire, engaging traction control constantly, almost stalling the engine. In between bursts of ABS, the brake pedal goes nearly to the floor. Front pads are gone.

Also noticed a nearly flat front right tire (oh, there's your floaty front end problem!).

Quoted about $3000 in repairs. Customer agreed to fix the ABS insanity, but nothing else. Is going on a road trip now.

WHATEVER, MAN.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 11, 2020, 04:37:24 PM
"Hey my car feels floaty in the front, check the suspension"

Try to pull it in the shop, and the engine barely runs. 5.4 Ford is missing on one or two cylinders. Seems to be rich, so probably a coil or plug.

The ABS is going haywire, engaging traction control constantly, almost stalling the engine. In between bursts of ABS, the brake pedal goes nearly to the floor. Front pads are gone.

Also noticed a nearly flat front right tire (oh, there's your floaty front end problem!).

Quoted about $3000 in repairs. Customer agreed to fix the ABS insanity, but nothing else. Is going on a road trip now.

WHATEVER, MAN.

Gonna bet the wheel bearings are gone too and that's why the ABS is freaking.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 11, 2020, 04:52:28 PM
Gonna bet the wheel bearings are gone too and that's why the ABS is freaking.

Yup, that's what I fixed. I replaced a wheel bearing.

CaminoRacer

Did you inflate the tire?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

I diag'd bad cam phasers on a Ford 5.4, along with the needing a whole timing set and spark plugs. They called my bluff.
Fuck.

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 12, 2020, 01:27:14 PM
I diag'd bad cam phasers on a Ford 5.4, along with the needing a whole timing set and spark plugs. They called my bluff.
Fuck.

Do a compression test first?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on August 12, 2020, 02:23:07 PM
Do a compression test first?

Can't do that without taking out the spark plugs. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

I'm elbow deep in a 5.4. Honestly, not bad for 12 hours of labor. I know lots of shortcuts and can do it in about 8 hours.

Soup DeVille

How hard would it be to put something that's not a 5.4 in a truck that came with one?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 13, 2020, 03:02:23 PM
How hard would it be to put something that's not a 5.4 in a truck that came with one?

Easier than putting a 5.4 back in it. :lol:

shp4man

Have I ever told the story of the Ford 4.6 V8? It's really interesting.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on August 13, 2020, 04:35:10 PM
Have I ever told the story of the Ford 4.6 V8? It's really interesting.

I am familiar with that engine, but I haven't heard your story.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 13, 2020, 03:19:21 PM
Easier than putting a 5.4 back in it. :lol:

Found a really nice Class C motorhome; but its F-350 based with the 5.4.

shp4man

In the early 90s, the defense industry took a nose dive after the Berlin Wall fell. Many defense system engineers were out of work. Ford hired 9 or 10 of them to design a V8 engine to replace the 302.
The result was an overbuilt engine, with multiple braces cast in the block, capable of running 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles with no faults.
Ford nixed it as too expensive. The defense guys redesigned it to Ford specifications and sort of....disappeared.

Ah.. the 90s.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 13, 2020, 04:45:52 PM
Found a really nice Class C motorhome; but its F-350 based with the 5.4.

You could swap it for the V10 :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on August 13, 2020, 04:47:44 PM
In the early 90s, the defense industry took a nose dive after the Berlin Wall fell. Many defense system engineers were out of work. Ford hired 9 or 10 of them to design a V8 engine to replace the 302.
The result was an overbuilt engine, with multiple braces cast in the block, capable of running 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles with no faults.
Ford nixed it as too expensive. The defense guys redesigned it to Ford specifications and sort of....disappeared.

Ah.. the 90s.

And then the 5.4 happened ...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 13, 2020, 04:50:29 PM
You could swap it for the V10 :lol:

Well, I figure the price is low because its the 5.4, and it has a limited lifespan in the truck- so...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 13, 2020, 05:18:05 PM
Well, I figure the price is low because its the 5.4, and it has a limited lifespan in the truck- so...

The 5.4 has a few well-known problems that are a pain to fix, it sucks gas like crazy, and isn't that powerful. Otherwise, it is fairly well built and reliable.  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

If I had a 5.4, I would install a cam phaser lockout and change the spark plugs every 30K.