Motor Trend Road Test of BMW M3

Started by 1 BAD 7, July 14, 2007, 10:44:44 PM

1 BAD 7

Here is what Motor Trend had to say about new E92 M3 after their test drive. It was a interesting read and they seem to really like the new M3. According to them the new M3 is appx. 3.54 sec. faster per lap arround the ring compared to M5. It easily laps the ring in 8:10. The MT also made this comment " On almost any given stretch of twisting blacktop this M3 is 911-fast.

They also mention that with all this capability on track the M3 is very refined on streets even with the optional 19" wheels. Overall it sounds like the new M3 is seriously fast performance GT coupe that is not as harsh riding as the last generation E46 with similar 19" setup.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0710_2008_bmw_m3/index.html

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

VetteZ06

I'm not as enamored with this new M3 as I was with the E46. Besides, if I was looking to spend M3 levels of money, I know what I'd be getting. :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: VetteZ06 on July 14, 2007, 11:23:56 PM
Besides, if I was looking to spend M3 levels of money, I know what I'd be getting. :lol:

Damn right.  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

JYODER240

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 14, 2007, 10:44:44 PM
Here is what Motor Trend had to say about new E92 M3 after their test drive. It was a interesting read and they seem to really like the new M3. According to them the new M3 is appx. 3.54 sec. faster per lap arround the ring compared to M5. It easily laps the ring in 8:10. The MT also made this comment " On almost any given stretch of twisting blacktop this M3 is 911-fast.

That is typical BMW fan material. "It goes around a corner 2.3474mph quicker, and it's .97324 quicker to 60mph!!!"

Who cares about the numbers.

thewizard16

Numbers certainly matter in that type of car, if for nothing more than image.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

sportyaccordy

Wow, what progress we have made. This car weighs 100# more than an '87 M6.

I'm sorry, I just can't get into it.

1 BAD 7

I agree the numbers matter in any performance oriented car. The new M3 seems to be more roomy, refined, and faster arround the track then the last generation. Both C/D and M/T had good things to say about the overall performance of the car and its capabilities arround the ascari track. The only area for concern was the servotronic steering feel which felt a bit off center and too quick to both of them. I hope BMW takes care of that and fixes the gear ratios and feel to be more natural.

Quote from: thewizard16 on July 15, 2007, 09:30:03 AM

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

No doubt that Z06 is a performance monster and in league of its own. But M3 and Z06 are two totaly different type of cars. Where as Z06 is all about raw performance the M3 on the other hand not only offers performance but refinement, luxury and the ability to take 5 people thanks to its back seats.

The Z06 in my mind is a very capable performance sports car where as M3 is hyper performance luxury GT coupe.

I'm not as enamored with this new M3 as I was with the E46. Besides, if I was looking to spend M3 levels of money, I know what I'd be getting. :lol:

www.KayaniTravel.com

SJ_GTI

It really sounds amazing.

I am looking forward to seeing it in person. As I was driving into the office this morning I was next to a 335i coupe in traffic for a while, and the whole time I had to check it out. It looks so "plain" in pictures, but in person it looks sleek, agressive, and just really cool. Hopefully the M3 will have a similar presence in person.  :ohyeah:

Raghavan

the Teuton

Tell me when the 135i ///M Sport or something like that comes out.  This isn't quite making my blood flow any faster right now.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SJ_GTI

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 15, 2007, 08:49:20 AM
That is typical BMW fan material. "It goes around a corner 2.3474mph quicker, and it's .97324 quicker to 60mph!!!"

Who cares about the numbers.

:confused:

In my experience BMW "Fanboys" are usually the least concerned about " mag numbers" (as far as fan boys in general go).

BMW's rarely get the "biggest numbers" in comparison tests. They usually win based on overall balance between fun and refinement. Hence there would be little point for fanboys to glom onto the numbers.

JYODER240

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 15, 2007, 01:51:49 PM

:confused:

In my experience BMW "Fanboys" are usually the least concerned about " mag numbers" (as far as fan boys in general go).

BMW's rarely get the "biggest numbers" in comparison tests. They usually win based on overall balance between fun and refinement. Hence there would be little point for fanboys to glom onto the numbers.

I meant that more asfan boys in general. However I don't think most BMW fanboys are any better than the rest.

JYODER240

Quote from: thewizard16 on July 15, 2007, 09:30:03 AM

It matters for image and bragging rights. I've said it before but how a car goes around a track is far more important than how fast it does.

Colonel Cadillac

I'm having a hard time getting attached to this car. I suppose it's a great car, but I think I would rather have a 335i coupe and a Miata or something along those lines.

From the reviews, it sounds too "easy." A lot of the fun in driving fast and taking the turns is the challenge, and it sounds like just anyone can do it. From a business POV, that's great. From an enthusiast's POV, it may not be so good.

VetteZ06

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 15, 2007, 12:19:20 PM
No doubt that Z06 is a performance monster and in league of its own. But M3 and Z06 are two totaly different type of cars. Where as Z06 is all about raw performance the M3 on the other hand not only offers performance but refinement, luxury and the ability to take 5 people thanks to its back seats.

The Z06 in my mind is a very capable performance sports car where as M3 is hyper performance luxury GT coupe.

I wasn't referring to the Z06. It would probably cost me quite a bit more than an M3 to get my hands on one of them (as much as I'd love to). Instead, I was simply talking about a "base" Corvette - something like a Z51. With the boost in horsepower and the leather-wrapped interior, a Corvette would be a great M3 alternative (and yes, I realize it doesn't have back seats). :ohyeah:

The Pirate

Quote from: VetteZ06 on July 15, 2007, 02:54:25 PM
I wasn't referring to the Z06. It would probably cost me quite a bit more than an M3 to get my hands on one of them (as much as I'd love to). Instead, I was simply talking about a "base" Corvette - something like a Z51. With the boost in horsepower and the leather-wrapped interior, a Corvette would be a great M3 alternative (and yes, I realize it doesn't have back seats). :ohyeah:

+1

I would be more than happy with a base Corvette.  The Chevy V8 burble is only icing on the cake.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Danish

Besides, if I was looking to spend M3 levels of money, I know what I'd be getting. :lol:

Then, I would buy this kit:

Finally I would use the remainder to increase the quality of this magazine:

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

1 BAD 7

My bad I totaly forgot that the new base Vette is packing a serious upgrade in the power thanks to a engine upgrade. No doubt if you want a 2 seater sports car Vette would be a great bang for the buck. On the other hand leather wraped interior doesnot always add refinement to a car. In my opinion with regards to interior and overall refinement  BMW still has an edge.

Also I think these two cars are not in the same class nor do they compete against one another. In my opinion out of the non luxury cars Mustang GT500 and among luxury brand cars MB CLK AMG and Audi RS4 compete against M3. If you wanna push the boundries maybe you can include a Porsche 911 even though its back seats are not even real back seats. Among Jag the XKR with its supercharged version can compete or Aston V8 vantage but I think the price of Porsche, Aston, and Jag push them more upscale and they seem to be more in line with M6.

In my honest opinion much like how Vette or Lotus Elise are hard to compare with anything else in there respective classes M3 is actually very hard to compare with any car directly. I think at best CLK AMG is the only car it can be truly compared against since even RS4 is a 4 door sedan and not a hyper performance GT coupe.? ?

Quote from: VetteZ06 on July 15, 2007, 02:54:25 PM

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

But I think when you are talking of a road car that is to be used as a daily driver how a car goes arround the streets is as important factor as how it goes arround a track. So if a car is able to be super quick on track and not punish its drivers on every day use then the misson is accomplished. To some degree the new M3 reminds me of Acura NSX which used to be very easy to drive on the track and off the track most any driver could push it to its limit on track compared to other super cars which were more twitchy and required greater driver effort.

I remember in a recent head to head comparison Porsche Cayman S was thought to be far more easier to drive to its limit on track where as BMW Z4 was thought to require more driver effort to push it to its limit.

Both reviews of C/D and M/T suggest that M3 is very capable car at 10/10th. How you have came to a conclusion that how it goes on track is not up to par is beyond me. :huh:

But then again there are plenty of anti BMW fan boys too and that is typical of them to never give credit where credit is due.

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 15, 2007, 02:07:45 PM
It matters for image and bragging rights. I've said it before but how a car goes around a track is far more important than how fast it does.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Raza

I wouldn't spend 60+ grand on a car that is just almost as good as a 911. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10162.msg508366#msg508366 date=1184594997
I wouldn't spend 60+ grand on a car that is just almost as good as a 911.?

Even though for $60k you get a car that is almost as good as a 911?  Which you can't buy new for anything near that?   ;)

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on July 16, 2007, 08:11:58 AM
Even though for $60k you get a car that is almost as good as a 911?? Which you can't buy new for anything near that?? ?;)

I'd be quite happy saving my pennies, buying used, or just getting a Boxster S.

:lol:

Maybe a C63 AMG, though...hmm...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10162.msg508369#msg508369 date=1184595216
I'd be quite happy saving my pennies, buying used, or just getting a Boxster S.

:lol:

Maybe a C63 AMG, though...hmm...

I don't blame you.  The 911 is one of those cars that just gets better with age...I would love an older 911 SC Targa...w0w!

NomisR

But then for a new 60k BMW, you don't have to pay out the ass for maintainence for the first 3 yrs...

1 BAD 7

Why would you want to waste your money on a Porsche Boxster S or 911 when you can buy a used Z06 or Lotus Elise that are both more capable performance machines on track.  :rolleyes: :lol:

www.KayaniTravel.com

S204STi

Quote from: NomisR on July 16, 2007, 02:22:13 PM
But then for a new 60k BMW, you don't have to pay out the ass for maintainence for the first 3 yrs...

Good point! :ohyeah: