Motor Trend Road Test of BMW M3

Started by 1 BAD 7, July 14, 2007, 10:44:44 PM

JYODER240

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 15, 2007, 11:32:10 PM
But I think when you are talking of a road car that is to be used as a daily driver how a car goes arround the streets is as important factor as how it goes arround a track. So if a car is able to be super quick on track and not punish its drivers on every day use then the misson is accomplished. To some degree the new M3 reminds me of Acura NSX which used to be very easy to drive on the track and off the track most any driver could push it to its limit on track compared to other super cars which were more twitchy and required greater driver effort.

I remember in a recent head to head comparison Porsche Cayman S was thought to be far more easier to drive to its limit on track where as BMW Z4 was thought to require more driver effort to push it to its limit.

Both reviews of C/D and M/T suggest that M3 is very capable car at 10/10th. How you have came to a conclusion that how it goes on track is not up to par is beyond me. :huh:

But then again there are plenty of anti BMW fan boys too and that is typical of them to never give credit where credit is due.

You completely missed my point.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

NomisR

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 16, 2007, 10:26:35 PM
You completely missed my point.

Are you talking about, for example, in the Rx8, G35C, Mustang comparos, even though the Mustang and G35C turned better numbers at the track, the Rx8 still won, not because of the #s but because it connects to the driver and is more fun to drive?

Or like the Miata vs Mr2 Spyder, even though the MR2 is faster in the straight line and corners, Miata still won for the same reason?

I agree.. but I'll have to actually drive the car to judge.

JYODER240

Quote from: NomisR on July 16, 2007, 10:52:31 PM
Are you talking about, for example, in the Rx8, G35C, Mustang comparos, even though the Mustang and G35C turned better numbers at the track, the Rx8 still won, not because of the #s but because it connects to the driver and is more fun to drive?

Or like the Miata vs Mr2 Spyder, even though the MR2 is faster in the straight line and corners, Miata still won for the same reason?

Pretty much yes. Which is why i say that how a car goes around a track is more important than how fast it does.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 16, 2007, 10:58:22 PM
Pretty much yes. Which is why i say that how a car goes around a track is more important than how fast it does.
That seems to be something a lot of people miss in this day and age. More is not always better.

1 BAD 7

If that is the case why did you pick the 350z over more fun to drive RX8. Because after all how a car goes arround a track is more important to you then how fast it goes on the track. ;)

Let me make a wild guess because no matter how much fun the RX8 is in a turn it will never be as much fun in straight line as the 350z and its not like 350z is utter slacker in turns. .;)

Fun to drive doesnot depend on just one variable instead how the whole package flows and how it matches a certain individuals personality is also important. To some super light Lotus Elise is lots of fun while to other the power and ability of Ferrari F430 is amazing. Which car is more pure depends on who you are asking. Because each person brings his own taste to the table.

Ask me and I will say there is nothing more pure then getting on and riding a 1000cc super sport class motorcycle. No car that I have ever driven will match the pure fun and raw factor of speed and handling that you experience behind the wheels of a super sport class bike. :rockon:

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 16, 2007, 10:58:22 PM

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Raza

If you were behind the wheels of a sport bike, I don't think you were doing it right.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: NomisR on July 16, 2007, 10:52:31 PM

As I remember the only measure the Miata ever beat the MR2 on was practicality. Every comparison I read claimed the MR2 was a funner car to drive, but it's been awhile so I could be mistaken.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Danish

Quote from: Raza  on July 18, 2007, 07:22:58 AM
If you were behind the wheels of a sport bike, I don't think you were doing it right.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

red_shift

Quote from: Tave on July 18, 2007, 08:23:11 AM
As I remember the only measure the Miata ever beat the MR2 on was practicality. Every comparison I read claimed the MR2 was a funner car to drive, but it's been awhile so I could be mistaken.

I agree. Miata is surprisingly mundane in it's feel; RX-8 OTOH, thrilling. I honestly don't get the fuss about Miata.
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

JYODER240

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 17, 2007, 11:22:53 PM
If that is the case why did you pick the 350z over more fun to drive RX8. Because after all how a car goes arround a track is more important to you then how fast it goes on the track. ;)

Let me make a wild guess because no matter how much fun the RX8 is in a turn it will never be as much fun in straight line as the 350z and its not like 350z is utter slacker in turns. .;)

Fun to drive doesnot depend on just one variable instead how the whole package flows and how it matches a certain individuals personality is also important. To some super light Lotus Elise is lots of fun while to other the power and ability of Ferrari F430 is amazing. Which car is more pure depends on who you are asking. Because each person brings his own taste to the table.

Is there a point to this post?

1 BAD 7

The point is obviously stated in the post. If you choose to ignore it and not answer then that is on you.

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 18, 2007, 12:24:33 PM
Is there a point to this post?

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Champ

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 18, 2007, 02:30:29 PM
The point is obviously stated in the post. If you choose to ignore it and not answer then that is on you.
You answered all of your own questions in the post where you asked the questions.

1 BAD 7

:rolleyes: You know what I meant to say so dont pretend to be ignorant

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10162.msg511603#msg511603 date=1184764978

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

Those were my answers to the questions I intended for him not his answers to my question :lol:

He claims that RX8 would be outright better car and far more pure and fun since it is very very very...... important how a car goes arround the track then how fast it does. Yet when it came to his buying choice he picked speed over outright fun and purer handling car:huh:

Obviously cars are not always judged the same even by his own standards. ;)

Quote from: Champ on July 18, 2007, 02:36:41 PM
You answered all of your own questions in the post where you asked the questions.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Champ

Maybe he thought about the amazing gas mileage the VQ engine gets over the RX8?  :huh:

1 BAD 7

Maybe so :huh:

But that further confirms that many aspects of a car can be attractive to various people during their buying choices as consumers. So not all the time how a car goes arround a track is more important to certain people then how fast it goes arround a track.

Because obviously that is not the only and most important factor to people. Some people get a extreme high from a car with plenty of speed yet decent handling vs a car that has average speed and good handling. It is sort of give and take there are so many factors that can come into play besides the car being absolute blast in taking corners.

Quote from: Champ on July 18, 2007, 02:40:08 PM
Maybe he thought about the amazing gas mileage the VQ engine gets over the RX8?? :huh:

www.KayaniTravel.com

Raza

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 18, 2007, 02:37:13 PM
:rolleyes: You know what I meant to say so dont pretend to be ignorant

It was too easy...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

1 BAD 7

I know....and you just could not resist huh :lol:

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10162.msg512117#msg512117 date=1184791512
It was too easy...

www.KayaniTravel.com

JYODER240

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 18, 2007, 02:39:12 PM
Those were my answers to the questions I intended for him not his answers to my question :lol:

He claims that RX8 would be outright better car and far more pure and fun since it is very very very...... important how a car goes arround the track then how fast it does. Yet when it came to his buying choice he picked speed over outright fun and purer handling car:huh:

Obviously cars are not always judged the same even by his own standards. ;)

I claimed that an RX-8 is an outright better car, is far more pure and fun?

Raghavan

Quote from: Raza  on July 18, 2007, 07:22:58 AM
:lol:
:clap:

1 BAD 7

You said you pretty much agreed with the out come of the C/D road test and they obviously found that RX8 was not the fastest arround track. However, it was more fun to drive thanks to its light weight chassis. According to you how a car goes arround a track is more important factor then how fast it goes. If that is the case RX8 goes arround the track better then the 350z or mustang even though it is not the most powerfull or fastest

So it makes no sense because that now you claim you are not saying that when you said earlier that you agreed with that comparison. Either you are confused or just sticking to that theory of "how a car goes arround the track is more important then how fast it goes at the track" only in case of BMW M3.  :confused:

However, when it comes to your personal buying choice you dont believe in it fully and obviously consider other factors. So why is it then when it comes down to BMW's you have one opinion yet when your own money is on the line you dont seem to back your own feelings and pick a car that is faster arround a track yet not the best on how it goes arround the track  :huh:

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 18, 2007, 04:39:55 PM
I claimed that an RX-8 is an outright better car, is far more pure and fun?

www.KayaniTravel.com

Danish

Kayani: Why don't you sell BMWs at your website? Why do you only sell non 50/50 weight distributed, FWD, non-Munich ancestral cars?

Why do you sell Nissan 350Zs (Yoder's car) but not the very high ultimate turbo grand touring luxury supercar BMW M3?

JYODER240

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 18, 2007, 06:18:22 PM
You said you pretty much agreed with the out come of the C/D road test and they obviously found that RX8 was not the fastest arround track. However, it was more fun to drive thanks to its light weight chassis. According to you how a car goes arround a track is more important factor then how fast it goes. If that is the case RX8 goes arround the track better then the 350z or mustang even though it is not the most powerfull or fastest

I said that how a car goes around a track is more important than how fast it does. NomisR provided an example of where in the automotive press a slower car placed first in a comparison test. I never said that I agreed or disagreed with those results, only that a cars numbers aren't what's important.

So it makes no sense because that now you claim you are not saying that when you said earlier that you agreed with that comparison. Either you are confused or just sticking to that theory of "how a car goes arround the track is more important then how fast it goes at the track" only in case of BMW M3.? :confused:

Again I never said I agreed or disagreed with the outcome. See above.

However, when it comes to your personal buying choice you dont believe in it fully and obviously consider other factors. So why is it then when it comes down to BMW's you have one opinion yet when your own money is on the line you dont seem to back your own feelings and pick a car that is faster arround a track yet not the best on how it goes arround the track? :huh:

It doesn't appear that I have two different opinions. I own a 350Z because I enjoy driving it and it's a good fit for me. Explain to me how when it comes to my own personal buying choice I don't fully believe it? and of course there are many factors that involve buying a car. If there wasn't I'd probably be driving a GT3. Also, please show me where I have a different opinion when it comes to BMW's?

Raza

You know, I chose the Passat over the Accord V6 because it was outright more fun.  So, it does happen.

The Passat was also more expensive to lease, despite the lower sale price (Honda had a deal going on).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

1 BAD 7

I dont need your sorry advice as to what I should sell or not sell on my website. Instead of worrying about me why dont you go get a life and atleast try to pass MCAT which you cant seem to pass for last 2 years or so. Seriously you never have anything to contribute except for your one liner personal attacks or stupid remarks :rolleyes:

Quote from: Danish on July 18, 2007, 06:49:01 PM
Kayani: Why don't you sell BMWs at your website? Why do you only sell non 50/50 weight distributed, FWD, non-Munich ancestral cars?

Why do you sell Nissan 350Zs (Yoder's car) but not the very high ultimate turbo grand touring luxury supercar BMW M3?

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

You asked me to show you where you had said you agreed with that comparison of RX8 wining. I have highlighted and underlined your reply where you clearly said in your own words you agreed with the outcome pretty much. ;)

So if you agree that RX8 wining over Nissan 350z or G35 coupe shows that how a car goes arround a track is more important then how fast it goes arround the track then my question is not to insult your choice or anything but rather understand how you choose the opposite in your case when your money was on the line. Yet when it comes down to M3 here in this thread you repeatedly claim how fast a car goes is not important but rather how fun it is on track is more important. So why such a difference of opinion when it comes to your car vs BMW :huh:

Just trying to understand your stand because it seems to shift back and forth :huh:

? Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 09:58:22 PM ?? ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: NomisR on July 16, 2007, 09:52:31 PM

JYODER240 reply:

www.KayaniTravel.com

JYODER240

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 19, 2007, 01:23:39 PM
You asked me to show you where you had said you agreed with that comparison of RX8 wining. I have highlighted and underlined your reply where you clearly said in your own words you agreed with the outcome pretty much. ;)

So if you agree that RX8 wining over Nissan 350z or G35 coupe shows that how a car goes arround a track is more important then how fast it goes arround the track then my question is not to insult your choice or anything but rather understand how you choose the opposite in your case when your money was on the line. Yet when it comes down to M3 here in this thread you repeatedly claim how fast a car goes is not important but rather how fun it is on track is more important. So why such a difference of opinion when it comes to your car vs BMW :huh:

Just trying to understand your stand because it seems to shift back and forth :huh:

? Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 09:58:22 PM ?? ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: NomisR on July 16, 2007, 09:52:31 PM

JYODER240 reply:

Okay, this seems difficult for you to grasp. I said that how a car goes around a track is more important  than how fast it does. NomisR provided an example of where a slower car placed first in an comparison. He was showing how he understood what I was saying. I said, "Pretty much yes" acknowleding that we were on same page. Notice how he even said would have to actually drive the car to judge. I never meant that i agreed with the outcome of the results only that he understood what I meant by "How a car goes around a track is more important than how fast it does". 

I fail to see what that has to do with BMW?

Danish

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 19, 2007, 01:16:16 PM
I dont need your sorry advice as to what I should sell or not sell on my website. Instead of worrying about me why dont you go get a life and atleast try to pass MCAT which you cant seem to pass for last 2 years or so. Seriously you never have anything to contribute except for your one liner personal attacks or stupid remarks :rolleyes:

1. I raped the MCAT bitch
2. There is no such thing as "passing" the MCAT. There is no such thing as "failing" the MCAT. You simply get a numerical score. That's it. Shows how much you know :rolleyes:

1 BAD 7

Sure retard that is why you have nothing better to do then act like a little idiot all the time with nothing usefull to say except for your one liner stupid comments. I think you got it wrong the MCAT raped you like a dirty slut. :rolleyes:

Quote from: Danish on July 19, 2007, 08:29:30 PM
1. I raped the MCAT bitch
2. There is no such thing as "passing" the MCAT. There is no such thing as "failing" the MCAT. You simply get a numerical score. That's it. Shows how much you know :rolleyes:

www.KayaniTravel.com

ro51092

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 19, 2007, 10:53:30 PM
Sure retard that is why you have nothing better to do then act like a little idiot all the time with nothing usefull to say except for your one liner stupid comments. I think you got it wrong the MCAT raped you like a dirty slut. :rolleyes:

I don't think you can really say much about the MCAT. Notice how you're not Dr. Kayani?