We've been waiting for it, new C&D lightning lap.

Started by 565, September 25, 2008, 08:10:44 PM

Rich

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

Cobalt SS wtf
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

That's so funny.  It dusted off an IS-F and an Elise SC.  :lol:

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Well GM did say it ran a 8:22 around the Ring and no one believed them.  Well I guess we know now.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on September 25, 2008, 08:30:30 PM
Nick, srsly.  Do it.

Teut, srsly, with what money? I'd have to get full-time job just to make the payments.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on September 25, 2008, 08:32:43 PM
Teut, srsly, with what money? I'd have to get full-time job just to make the payments.

I didn't say now.  Rly.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Also the Cobalt is not like unreasonably fast.  The 2006 350Z track still holds the LL1 track record at  3:12.5, so the older 350Z still dusts off the S2000CR, IS-F, new EVO MR, new STI, and BMW 135,

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on September 25, 2008, 08:34:44 PM
I didn't say now.  Rly.

If I'm lucky, they payments would be about $450 a month, and insurance another $150 on top of that. We're talking $600/month that needs to appear out of thin air.

the Teuton

Did anyone see a PDF with all the times on it or anything?

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on September 25, 2008, 08:36:17 PM
If I'm lucky, they payments would be about $450 a month, and insurance another $150 on top of that. We're talking $600/month that needs to appear out of thin air.

I SAID THAT YOU SHOULDN'T GET ONE RIGHT NOW!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on September 25, 2008, 08:37:16 PM
I SAID THAT YOU SHOULDN'T GET ONE RIGHT NOW!

BUT IF I DON'T GET ONE NOW I WONT HAVE ONE BUT I WANT ONE SO THAT IS A CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on September 25, 2008, 08:38:19 PM
BUT IF I DON'T GET ONE NOW I WONT HAVE ONE BUT I WANT ONE SO THAT IS A CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

NICK, DON'T LIVE BEYOND YOUR MEANS.  ALTHOUGH, IF YOU GOT ONE, YOU'D BE COOLER THAN DABOMB.COM.  YES, THAT'S DA BOMB DOT COM.  NO, I DIDN'T MAKE THAT UP, MMKAY?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on September 25, 2008, 08:42:11 PM
NICK, DON'T LIVE BEYOND YOUR MEANS.  ALTHOUGH, IF YOU GOT ONE, YOU'D BE COOLER THAN DABOMB.COM.  YES, THAT'S DA BOMB DOT COM.  NO, I DIDN'T MAKE THAT UP, MMKAY?

MMMKAY. MY MEANS ARE NEGATIVE TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. HOW CAN A NOT LIVE BEYOND THAT WITHOUT TAKING OUT LIFE INSURANCE POLICY AND KILLING MYSELF?

SVT666

Holy Crap! The Viper wasted, and I mean wasted everything but the Mosler.  That Cobalt is one impressive machine.

the Teuton

To say that I'm a little disappointed by the STI would be an understatement.

mojammer

Wow, there's  a huge gap between the viper and the Scuderia.  Unbe-fugging-lievable.

It must be because of the length of the track.  R&T's track times were much closer, the GT-R was 1.13s slower on a 2.5m track.

The Mosler, being a Photon S, is as much or more of a race car than the Viper.

BimmerM3

I forget, how do they define their classes?

I'm also surprised that the Elise SC didn't do better.

Do they have an overall results page from all of the lightning laps?

EDIT: I found the class definition on the website. For those that don't know:

LL1 (under $30,000)
LL2 ($30,000?$60,000)
LL3 ($60,000?$120,000)
LL4 ($120,000?$240,000)
LL5 (above $240,000)

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 25, 2008, 11:47:58 PM
I forget, how do they define their classes?

I'm also surprised that the Elise SC didn't do better.

With 218 supercharged horsepower in a 2029-pound mid-engine sports car, we expected to see much better times than we achieved with the Lotus Elise SC. The naturally aspirated Elise (190 horsepower) that ran at VIR in 2006 scampered around the 4.2-mile course in 3:09.2 versus 3:16.6 for the supercharged version.

That earlier Elise was equipped with wider and stickier tires, which offset the SC?s extra punch. And we experienced gear-selection drama with the vague engagements of the six-speed manual gearbox, which also held this car back.

This isn't the first time I've heard that the Elise SC wasn't as good to drive as Elise, but the first time I've heard that it wasn't as fast.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Pommes-T

I want a Cobalt SS. I read that comparison in an other thread and it's faster than a 135i, S5 and a Lexus ISF... Wow.
'00 BMW 523i

r0tor

big w0wsers for the cobaly SS and Viper ACR... and the STi for how much of a slow poke it is
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FlatBlackCaddy

Now if only GM could wrap the performance of the cobalt SS into a physically pleasing package that looked like it was built sometime after 1992 they would really have a winner.

r0tor

Yea, its sort of like the old Neon SRT4... but at least that was slightly paletable to the crowd that was looking for a go fast turbo 4 banger.  The SS just looks cheap inside and out...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Wow...  Cobalt SS FTW.

I'm surprised the STI couldn't keep up with the Evo X... the reviews seemed mixed on which was faster.  Or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

Oh well, knowing Subaru that should change within the next model year or two.  I think it's funny that C/D blamed the hatch back body for its handling traits, when WRC homologation was the reason they went to that body style in the first place.  Meh, ignorant editorial staff FTL.

nickdrinkwater

Wow...the Cobalt's performance was pretty awesome.  Like FBC said, shame about the looks, but doesn't stop me wanting one!  GM should actually bring that thing over here to give Chevrolet a bit more credibility (never thought I'd say that!).  How much do they go for?  I could only see that they cost under US$30,000 - how does that compare to a Golf GTI?

S204STi

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 26, 2008, 09:19:56 AM
Wow...the Cobalt's performance was pretty awesome.  Like FBC said, shame about the looks, but doesn't stop me wanting one!  GM should actually bring that thing over here to give Chevrolet a bit more credibility (never thought I'd say that!).  How much do they go for?  I could only see that they cost under US$30,000 - how does that compare to a Golf GTI?

Price-wise I think they compare favourably, with the Cobalt perhaps being a bit cheaper.  It's certainly the current performance car bargain.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on September 26, 2008, 09:35:53 AM
Price-wise I think they compare favourably, with the Cobalt perhaps being a bit cheaper.  It's certainly the current performance car bargain.

Well, I'll put it this way.  I couldn't afford a Cobalt SS when I was buying my car.  It's about the same price as a GTI nowadays; the SS/SC was cheaper (less than the CSi even). 

But yeah, this thing would give Chevrolet some credibility in Europe until Jeremy Clarkson sees the badge and rips it apart for no good reason.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

In case you didn't download the PDF:

What happened to the IS F?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i