GM to possibly defecate all over early ATS-V adopters......

Started by 12,000 RPM, May 24, 2015, 08:44:14 AM

12,000 RPM

http://wot.motortrend.com/1505_cadillac_ats_v_to_feature_ls7_power.html#__federated=1

QuoteLast year, we promised you that an even hotter version of the Cadillac ATS-V was on the way. Now, we've finally dug up some more dirt on Cadillac's elusive ATS-V+. As we said before, the ATS was designed from the outset to fit a V-8 under the hood. But the question since then has been, which one? General Motors has come up with an answer: the 7.0-liter LS7 V-8 used in the Camaro Z/28 and C6 Z06.

GM wants its high-revving naturally aspirated eight-cylinder to live on, so it's keeping it in production for the Cadillac ATS-V+. Though we previously hoped for a version of the C7 Z06's supercharged 6.2-liter LT4 V-8, we'd be perfectly happy with an LS7-powered ATS. That engine, which is hand-built at GM's Bowling Green Assembly Plant, produces 505 hp and 481 lb-ft of torque in the fifth-generation Camaro Z/28. Even if the LS7 receives no updates before serving in the ATS-V+, it would still be more powerful than the standard ATS-V's 464-hp, 445-lb-ft twin-turbo 3.6-liter V-6. It would also be lighter. In addition to an eight-speed automatic transmission, the ATS-V+ will have the option of a seven-speed manual transmission sourced from the Corvette. A quick-shifting dual-clutch gearbox should arrive later.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1505_cadillac_ats_v_to_feature_ls7_power.html#ixzz3b4Dtl7TP

:hmm:

Wouldnt it make more sense to go with a freer breathing LT1 though? Folks are seeing mega gains with bolt ons, there's a lot left in it. Still though, definitely a move in the right direction, albeit at the expense of any and everybody who leapt early. Also helps put much needed space between it and the Cmero SS.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rich

We'll see how accurate it is. 

If they stick the LS7 in it, I hope they modernize it
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Like I said in the other thread, I would buy this in a heartbeat even though it has CUE.  Of course, I would wait for used ones to come down in price before I did though.

GoCougs

I don't buy it. The LS7 is ~10 years old and the LT1 is 98% as good a performance motor and it costs less.

12,000 RPM

U sure about the costing less thing? LT1 has a lot more tech.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on May 24, 2015, 09:47:05 AM
I don't buy it. The LS7 is ~10 years old and the LT1 is 98% as good a performance motor and it costs less.
505 hp vs 460 hp

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 24, 2015, 09:52:27 AM
U sure about the costing less thing? LT1 has a lot more tech.

Well, true, it's only my hunch, but the LT1 and variants are used in much higher volumes.

12,000 RPM

Yea I think the Z28 was a good swan song for the LS engine. LT1 makes a lot more sense, especially with the ATS representing a new chapter and the CTS-V having the LT4 already. But GM is gonna GM.

Xer0

This is really the only engine that GM could use.  Putting the LT1 in there would make no sense since it makes the same power as the TT V6 and the LT4 in this car would shit all over the CTS-V. 

Although, if this news is true, another LS7 powered Z/28 is right around the corner too probably.  But golly, this engine is getting old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on May 24, 2015, 01:48:40 PM
This is really the only engine that GM could use.  Putting the LT1 in there would make no sense since it makes the same power as the TT V6 and the LT4 in this car would shit all over the CTS-V. 

Although, if this news is true, another LS7 powered Z/28 is right around the corner too probably.  But golly, this engine is getting old.

LT1 is just getting started brah. Remember the LS1 only made 350HP. Then the LS6 made 405 or whatever.  Bottom line I think they can get at least 500HP out of the LT engine. Especially if they punch it out. DI and DoD will help them meet emissions (esp since the LS7 is still gravy).

They can def get the LT1 up to LS7 HP, or beyond, w/no supercharger. And it will probably lighter and better balanced in the chassis than the TT V6.

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 24, 2015, 03:29:40 PM
LT1 is just getting started brah. Remember the LS1 only made 350HP. Then the LS6 made 405 or whatever.  Bottom line I think they can get at least 500HP out of the LT engine. Especially if they punch it out. DI and DoD will help them meet emissions (esp since the LS7 is still gravy).

They can def get the LT1 up to LS7 HP, or beyond, w/no supercharger. And it will probably lighter and better balanced in the chassis than the TT V6.

All of those gains came from increased displacement and after the engine has been out for a few years.  I don't doubt the subsequent LT2 and on will make more power, but that's still years out while the LS7 is making more power now and is effectively just sitting there, waiting to be used.

MX793

Why are the doing a "V+" model?  Why isn't the turbocharged model the "V-sport" and the V8 version the full blown "V"?  Are they also going to do a "V+" CTS?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on May 24, 2015, 04:50:58 PM
Why are the doing a "V+" model?  Why isn't the turbocharged model the "V-sport" and the V8 version the full blown "V"?  Are they also going to do a "V+" CTS?
Yea the turbo V6 should have been the V sport and the V8 should have been the V. Good call.

Actually, turbo V6 detuned could have replaced the regular V6. The German blown 6s culo blast the NA stuff and dont even sound or respond worse. My boss has an E90 335i and that thing rips. They are all like .5-1 sec faster to 60 and through the quarter.

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on May 24, 2015, 04:50:58 PM

Because the V is not on sale yet and they already know they screwed the pooch on engine choice.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

If the rumour is true, I will hold out on my next car purchase until I can buy one used.