Dirtbike

Started by giant_mtb, October 04, 2015, 05:33:27 PM

giant_mtb

BENZ BOY15

Almost getting to peak time, seems like.

Fall seems like the best time of year for riding dirtbikes and the like.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 04, 2015, 06:07:49 PM
Almost getting to peak time, seems like.

Fall seems like the best time of year for riding dirtbikes and the like.

It's certainly scenic.  A bit chilly and slippery leaves are slippery, but it's great adventure weather.

BENZ BOY15

Yeah looks like a good time.

giant_mtb

From atop this spot, you have a pretty epic view.  Can see the waste rock piles way in the background from the mine.  Those fuckers are gettin' huge.

giant_mtb

Super old bridge.  No longer in use, but still accessible.  Originally it was moved here from like Cincinatti or some crazy shit.  EDIT history: "...a rare Pennsylvania through truss highway bridge, particularly because of the length [271 feet (83 m)] of this single span. It was purchased by the State Highway Department in 1919, moved from an unspecified Allegheny River site, probably considerably upstream from Pittsburgh, and then erected on this site in 1921." 

The new bridge is pretty spectacular.

Back when it was still bein' used...

New bridge...

giant_mtb

Also found this sweet lookout spot over Ishpeming.

giant_mtb

Washed 'er up after washing mom's car.  Might be the last wash of the season depending on how much more I ride, if at all, after today.  46 and sunny...still ridable with the right clothing (ie, way too many layers). :lol:

Cookie Monster

Nice!

I haven't washed my bike yet, either. I was going to, but then I got new fairings and it was clean that way for a while. :lol:

Then I rode to Nevada and collected many bugs and never washed those off either. :mask:

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Get the bugs off sooner rather than later. Otherwise you end up with baked on permabug. :ohyeah: :mask:

giant_mtb

Always good to have some spray detailer where you park your bike...can hit the front end after each ride or particularly buggy rides between full washes. Takes 30 seconds.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 20, 2015, 01:31:02 AM
Super old bridge.  No longer in use, but still accessible.  Originally it was moved here from like Cincinatti or some crazy shit.  EDIT history: "...a rare Pennsylvania through truss highway bridge, particularly because of the length [271 feet (83 m)] of this single span. It was purchased by the State Highway Department in 1919, moved from an unspecified Allegheny River site, probably considerably upstream from Pittsburgh, and then erected on this site in 1921." 

New bridge...

Cool pics....Y'all got some interesting bridges.

And fall looks pretty neat there, the colors are quite nice.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 22, 2015, 03:50:01 PM
Always good to have some spray detailer where you park your bike...can hit the front end after each ride or particularly buggy rides between full washes. Takes 30 seconds.

Soak a microfiber in hot water, and drape it on the front of the bike for several minutes then wipe off. It softens up the dead bugs carcasses so they clean easier.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Speed_Racer on October 23, 2015, 10:48:28 AM
Soak a microfiber in hot water, and drape it on the front of the bike for several minutes then wipe off. It softens up the dead bugs carcasses so they clean easier.

Ohhh that's a nice idea.  Hot soapy (Dawn) would be even better!  Less mess than using degreaser or something, too.

Laconian

Wow, fall looks *awesome* in the YouPee. Such intense colors.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on October 24, 2015, 10:21:58 PM
Wow, fall looks *awesome* in the YouPee. Such intense colors.

It is. Very colorful. Tried to make the most of it!

Now we're transitioning quickly into the cold, wet fall stage before the snow comes. Leaves are pretty much down by now.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 23, 2015, 11:06:35 AM
Ohhh that's a nice idea.  Hot soapy (Dawn) would be even better!  Less mess than using degreaser or something, too.

It might be OK on a dirtbike since they use colored plastic instead of paint, but you really should not wash a vehicle with dish soap unless you plan to apply wax immediately after the wash.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on October 25, 2015, 07:07:17 AM
It might be OK on a dirtbike since they use colored plastic instead of paint, but you really should not wash a vehicle with dish soap unless you plan to apply wax immediately after the wash.

Well, yeah. Considering how little paint there is to wax, I'd probably wax with every major wash. Not for dirtbike cause dirtbike, but if I had a street bike.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 20, 2015, 01:31:02 AM

New bridge...

Why is the river (or perhaps it's a lake) substantially lower in the photo of the new bridge? I could see maybe due to snow melt but looks like the photos were both taken in the fall.

MX793

They span at different places.  The older one appears to be in a slow-moving, flood plain area on the river (perhaps in a lake or reservoir) while the other appears to be at a gorge/ravine somewhere up or down stream.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

The two bridges are very close, with the new one being just upstream of the old. The road dives into the basin to meet the old bridge while the new bridge just maintains road level by spanning the entire basin. 

It's very likely that the copyrighted image of the old bridge above was taken from the new bridge. It's a very popular spot and gives a great view of the old bridge.  This is a picture of the same view, but not zoomed...

BENZ BOY15

Man. That's beautiful.

giant_mtb

And yeah, part of the reason for the new bridge was flooding, or more specifically, a dam failure.  The old bridge is probably just 15' at most above the water at normal levels.  That road is the only one that allows a lot of people on the other side of the river to cross, so no bridge leaves them with the option of staying home or a 50+ mile detour.

That waterway is part of what's known as the Dead River Basin.  5 dams, two being hydroelectric. One failed like a decade or so ago and the damage was pretty epic.

giant_mtb

And of course, the old bridge is just...old. it was time for a new one. The old one is like a 1.5 laner.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 25, 2015, 10:03:47 AM
And yeah, part of the reason for the new bridge was flooding, or more specifically, a dam failure.  The old bridge is probably just 15' at most above the water at normal levels.  That road is the only one that allows a lot of people on the other side of the river to cross, so no bridge leaves them with the option of staying home or a 50+ mile detour.

That waterway is part of what's known as the Dead River Basin.  5 dams, two being hydroelectric. One failed like a decade or so ago and the damage was pretty epic.

Yeah dams are great things to have until they fail but I bet that was a learning experience to make sure the ones you do have are structurally sound. Here in CA, the infrastructure is literally crumbling but the state does nothing about it. I think with El Nino, we're going to see a lot of bridge failures and some levy collapses as well, like around Sacramento....which is a disaster waiting to happen.

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 25, 2015, 10:05:46 AM
And of course, the old bridge is just...old. it was time for a new one. The old one is like a 1.5 laner.

Yeah that is a little dated. Functional obsolescence, as we realtors like to say.

BENZ BOY15

Now this is a rather striking yooper bridge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage_Lake_Lift_Bridge

Built in 1959 and still going strong....how bout that. Definitely a cool mechanism to let boats pass through and I sure hope it's structurally alright because I imagine replacing something like that here in 2015 would be rather expensive.

shp4man

Nice pics, giant_mtb! This is the reason I ride MTB's.  :ohyeah: We have a similar old bridge here on Hiway 94.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 25, 2015, 11:47:49 AM
Now this is a rather striking yooper bridge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage_Lake_Lift_Bridge

Built in 1959 and still going strong....how bout that. Definitely a cool mechanism to let boats pass through and I sure hope it's structurally alright because I imagine replacing something like that here in 2015 would be rather expensive.

Don't you remember seeing that bridge in Houghton while we were there?  We drove over it a couple times.

They just did/are still doing some major work on it. It's a cool bridge. Walked across that sucker drunk many a time with my housemates.  Houghton (where Michigan Tech and the bar scene is) is on one side and Hancock, where we lived, on the other.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on October 25, 2015, 12:15:03 PM
Nice pics, giant_mtb! This is the reason I ride MTB's.  :ohyeah: We have a similar old bridge here on Hiway 94.

Bridges made of triangles are the best! :lol:

MX793

This is an old bridge:

Needs more Jiggawatts