The official Auto-X thread

Started by MX793, August 21, 2016, 06:31:45 PM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 16, 2017, 01:42:36 PM
Why ur tires so squeaky?
And what kind of CAMera do you use?

Because they're DWS all seasons. :lol:

I forget what type of camera it is. Maybe a Polaroid? Got it for dirt cheap.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 16, 2017, 01:27:48 PM
Yay for CAM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIHMUCvYbeI

Not my best run or weekend - needed 200TW tires and stiffer springs for that course. My steering inputs seemed pretty jerky too.

Here's a local event that my dad went to two weeks later. Unfortunately I was already back at school. Looks like a fun location - circle track + in field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxcqihocxLg

That's a really fast, open course.  I miss the days when we had access to large, paved plots like that.  Can't run at any of the local active airports for security reasons.  State fairgrounds had a decent sized lot, but they kept raising the rental fees until we could no longer afford it.  We used to have access to an old abandoned Army air field that was state property (re-purposed for police and fire training) but then the state decided they didn't want to let us rent that anymore.  Somebody recently bought it, so one of the regions is trying to see if we can get back in there.  We did secure access to a police driving training course which is a 3-lane wide road course with a skidpad area for next season.  Figure we can set up some slalom gates on the straights to keep speeds down.  And when/if it ever gets finished, there's a big motorsport complex with a road course, dirt oval, and a dedicated autocross/drift pad being built nearby that we anticipate using.  But the owner behind it has been saying "it'll be ready by October" for the past 5 years and all they've accomplished to date is moving some dirt around and grading the surface.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

That's Grissom ARB in Indiana. The lot is an old "parking lot" for the planes but they only use the north side of the runway now. They rent out the pad to SCCA and NASA practically every weekend. Nice place. There's an underground building behind the starting line that hasn't been touched in 40 years. It'd be cool to sneak into it, but obviously it's off limits.

Eye of the Tiger

My local autox has some huge open venues. Versa S will see third gear, for sure.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Xer0

Pretty excited to get the Civic out there again this year.  I'm planning on upgrading the RSB and giving it a more aggressive alignment before the season starts as well to really get it moving.

Eye of the Tiger

It's too bad I can't use my camber bolts in stock (street) class, but at least I can add a rear sway bar.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rich

I'll do some in SC... seems like they don't have that many events though...
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

Today was the 3rd event here but I haven't gone to any yet. First 2 were too cold and I just didn't think about it today. Next weekend is a double event, Sat + Sun. Gonna try to go to one of them. Need to swap my fuel pump before then and the car will be ready to go.

MX793

We don't even attempt to hold events until very late April at the earliest because of the threat of snow (supposed to get a foot or more over the next two days).  Hell, last season, our first even was in mid-May and it was snowing/sleeting that day.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

My dad is upgrading the brakes and wheels on his Camaro. Gonna have 275s all around, probably Rival S tires.

I'm looking at getting 200TW tires for the VW. Falken RT615k+ is only $100/tire in 205/50R15 and you get a $100 rebate. That's dirt cheap. With the new rear sway bar and sticky tires, I think it could give some people with 4x the HP a run for their money.

CaminoRacer

Can't find 7" wheels with the right backspacing for the VW. Oh well.

Did my first event of the year last weekend. No video unfortunately, but it was a decent track - long parking lot, so it was mostly slaloming down to the end, a big sweeper to turn around, and slaloming back.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 15, 2017, 11:38:36 AM
My dad is upgrading the brakes and wheels on his Camaro. Gonna have 275s all around, probably Rival S tires.

I'm looking at getting 200TW tires for the VW. Falken RT615k+ is only $100/tire in 205/50R15 and you get a $100 rebate. That's dirt cheap. With the new rear sway bar and sticky tires, I think it could give some people with 4x the HP a run for their money.
What kind of springs/shocks you runnin on that thang brah
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

The VW? Don't know. Whatever the PO installed. Some sort of lowering struts up front, possibly from Topline. Rear is an adjustable torsion bar.

Camaro has 550 lb coils up front, 175 lb leafs in the rear with a modified mount. QA1 single adjustable shocks.

El Camino is QA1 coilovers all around, 650 lb front 300 lb rear.

CaminoRacer

I wanted to go to the Goodguys show in Del Mar but the semester was in full swing so I had to pass. Looks like everyone had a good time, however.

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

Apparently they're fast drivers. He won the truck class.

Also:

https://www.facebook.com/bill.kinsman/videos/1678601738822892/

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 15, 2017, 11:38:36 AM

This is gonna be fun.

:wub:

MX793

Our first event was scheduled for next weekend but was just canceled.  Apparently the venue is in the midst of a change in ownership and confidence is low that everything will be sorted by next weekend.  Good news is that the new owner is apparently receptive to our using the place, which is a good sign.  We got booted from one of our staple venues (a local, dying shopping mall) after new ownership was uninterested in letting us rent their parking lot. 

Now looking at May 21 for our first event, unless we get a quick reschedule of the cancelled event sometime before then.  Might start looking at neighboring regions, but most of them are a pretty good drive (80+ miles) to get there and their venues aren't usually worth the drive.  Smallish parking lots and resultant small courses.
Needs more Jiggawatts

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: MX793 on April 23, 2017, 08:49:10 AM
Our first event was scheduled for next weekend but was just canceled.  Apparently the venue is in the midst of a change in ownership and confidence is low that everything will be sorted by next weekend.  Good news is that the new owner is apparently receptive to our using the place, which is a good sign.  We got booted from one of our staple venues (a local, dying shopping mall) after new ownership was uninterested in letting us rent their parking lot.

How many events do you do every year?
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MX793

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 23, 2017, 08:54:19 AM
How many events do you do every year?

We typically host 8 or 9 a season.  I try to hit them all, but inevitably there's one I can't make for one reason or another.  Best 6 count towards championship points, so I can afford to miss one (or 2) and still be in the points chase.  I missed the first event last year because it was snowing that day and my tires are no bueno when the temperature is below 45F, let alone in the 30s and snowing.

There were 9 events on the calendar this season, one of which was a crossover event hosted by a neighboring region at one of their venues (we likewise host them at one of our venues).  Crossover events pay points in both regions, so it's a little more worth the drive to attend since it counts towards a season points title.  If I skip an event, though, it's usually that one since our neighboring region's main venue isn't anything special, it's a pretty long drive (and the only fast way to get there is a toll road), their entry fees are higher, and I usually end up not earning too many points (combination of higher overall skill in their region and much larger turnout) so it ends up being one of my dropped, low scoring events anyway.  They used to run at better venues but, like us, they've struggled lately and lost their best venues.  They used to run at Rochester Institute of Tech, which was a huge lot, and at the abandoned airfield at the old Seneca Army depot (we ran there too, awesome venue), but both venues decided they no longer wanted to allow SCCA to host events, or raised rental fees to a level we couldn't afford. 

Also, the neighboring region takes things a little too seriously.  I got a tongue lashing last year when I threw a red flag as a course worker because a car had cleaned out a wall of cones and workers were trying to get them set back up while the next car was coming in hot (starter failed to recognize a course issue and launched the next car).  Sorry, I value my and other people's safety more than their event running uninterrupted with Swiss-clockwork-like efficiency...

We're hoping to be able to reschedule the cancelled event to later in the year so we still get 8 local events.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 23, 2017, 08:53:46 AM
Did you get to use them yet?

Nope - waiting on wheels. Hopefully it'll be ready to go in the next few weeks for the event we go to in Nashville.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on April 23, 2017, 09:15:51 AM
We typically host 8 or 9 a season.

Interesting. Utah has 23 weekend booked this year, with a lot of those being Sat + Sun

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: MX793 on April 23, 2017, 09:15:51 AM
We typically host 8 or 9 a season.  I try to hit them all, but inevitably there's one I can't make for one reason or another.  Best 6 count towards championship points, so I can afford to miss one (or 2) and still be in the points chase.  I missed the first event last year because it was snowing that day and my tires are no bueno when the temperature is below 45F, let alone in the 30s and snowing.

There were 9 events on the calendar this season, one of which was a crossover event hosted by a neighboring region at one of their venues (we likewise host them at one of our venues).  Crossover events pay points in both regions, so it's a little more worth the drive to attend since it counts towards a season points title.  If I skip an event, though, it's usually that one since our neighboring region's main venue isn't anything special, it's a pretty long drive (and the only fast way to get there is a toll road), their entry fees are higher, and I usually end up not earning too many points (combination of higher overall skill in their region and much larger turnout) so it ends up being one of my dropped, low scoring events anyway.  They used to run at better venues but, like us, they've struggled lately and lost their best venues.  They used to run at Rochester Institute of Tech, which was a huge lot, and at the abandoned airfield at the old Seneca Army depot (we ran there too, awesome venue), but both venues decided they no longer wanted to allow SCCA to host events, or raised rental fees to a level we couldn't afford. 

Also, the neighboring region takes things a little too seriously.  I got a tongue lashing last year when I threw a red flag as a course worker because a car had cleaned out a wall of cones and workers were trying to get them set back up while the next car was coming in hot (starter failed to recognize a course issue and launched the next car).  Sorry, I value my and other people's safety more than their event running uninterrupted with Swiss-clockwork-like efficiency...

We're hoping to be able to reschedule the cancelled event to later in the year so we still get 8 local events.

That sounds like a lot of fun. The very little autocross I've done I enjoyed a lot. It demands very high precision to do it well and the driver is more of a factor than the car compared to our track events IMO.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 23, 2017, 09:25:00 AM
Nope - waiting on wheels. Hopefully it'll be ready to go in the next few weeks for the event we go to in Nashville.

I don't know Nashville. I hear it's a worthwhile visit.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 23, 2017, 09:31:13 AM
Interesting. Utah has 23 weekend booked this year, with a lot of those being Sat + Sun

Bear in mind that the weather kind of limits us to 5 months.  Our normal snow season runs from late November through early April, and it's quite rainy at either end of the snow season (it's rained 1 out of every 2 days this month).  Going back to 2010, we've had at least 15 days (and as many as 20) of measurable rainfall each October.  Toss in temperatures that are still fairly cool (highs in the 50s), and folks just aren't willing to come out and play.  Standing out on course resetting cones when it's heavily overcast, steadily raining, and only in the low 50s kind of sucks.

We also don't have the kinds of venues that SLC has (and note that there is only one SCCA region in all of Utah and practically all of their events are in the SLC area, we have 6 regions in Upstate NY and at least one downstate).  We don't have a big motorsports park like UMC.  We instead have a smattering of half-mile dirt ovals with gravel and grass parking lots.  We don't have a major sports stadium with massive, dedicated, paved lot or lots like the Maverick Center.  Also, as bad as the roads are here due to weather, parking lots are worse.  Calling some of them "paved" is a stretch, as they've crumbled to gravel.  None of the local airports will let us run on the tarmac due to security concerns.  We used to run on one of the large lots at the state fairgrounds, which is the closest we have to a convention center with dedicated, paved parking, but the rental costs went up to the point we couldn't afford it anymore.  There was an abandoned airfield about 60 miles south that we (and a couple of neighboring regions, it was near the regional border for multiple regions) used to run at, but the owners were concerned over the wear and tear and decided they didn't want us running there anymore.  Basically, the only paved lots large enough for us to run on are at shopping centers and malls, and those are open 7 days a week and unwilling to close off a large portion of their parking area on a weekend.  Those that are want to charge us more than we can afford.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

Wow, 6 regions in NY is impressive.

Do the regions coordinate weekends (intentionally or not) so that every week there's at least one region running an event?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 23, 2017, 09:32:18 AM
I don't know Nashville. I hear it's a worthwhile visit.

Highly recommend it! Always something fun going on there.

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 23, 2017, 10:35:43 AM
Wow, 6 regions in NY is impressive.

Do the regions coordinate weekends (intentionally or not) so that every week there's at least one region running an event?

Not that I'm aware of.  As it shakes out, you can probably find an event almost any weekend of the summer between the 6 regions.  But there are enough instances of overlapping weekends that you'd be hard pressed to compete for a seasonal points title in multiple regions.  Also, most regions have weak venues, so unless you're a serious die-hard, it's not worth the drive.

If I were to evaluate them by venue:

WNY (Buffalo area):  They only have one venue, but it's a great one.  New Era Field (the Bill's home stadium) has a huge paved lot.  Unfortunately, it's a 150 mile drive from me and the only fast way to get there is a toll road (and over $6 in tolls each way).  If it were more like 100 miles away, I'd make the drive.

FLR (Rochester area):  They only have two venues.  Their "main" venue, which is the one we ran at their OOR event last year, is at a community college.  Not a huge lot, but in good condition and they have a separate lot for paddock space so they don't eat into the driving space.  Size and shape doesn't really allow for long or fast courses and their course last year didn't seem like it took full advantage of what space they had.  Runs were well under 30 seconds at the event I was at last year, and that seems typical based on results from other events there.  I left feeling like it wasn't worth the 80 mile (each way) drive.  Not sure I'll go to this year's OOR there unless I need points.  Their other venue is what appears to be a pretty large lot at an old Xerox factory.  If it's the one I think, it's a quarter mile long by over 250 ft wide.  It's also closer than the community college, so I may check this one out this year if I'm free.

CNY (Syracuse area):  3 venues.  One is a shifter kart track.  I loved the place when I first started, but the risk of vehicle damage if you make a mistake, and the fact that it's always the same layout, has made it less appealing to me (and a number of others).  Also really rough pavement in spots.  This was the region's main venue for a couple of years and likely why attendance/membership took a dive over the past couple of years.  The second is a shopping center parking lot at a former K-mart that's now being used as a satellite campus for a community college.  Driving surface is in good condition and the shape allows for some fairly fast courses.  About the same size as FLR's main venue, but longer and narrower.  Depending on how space is used, I've seen courses that were solidly over 60 seconds or as short as 35 seconds.  Paddock space is kind of tight unless you park on the main lot and shrink the driveable space.  Nothing I'd drive an hour+ to go to, but it's only like a 20 minute drive from me.  This was the region's main venue last year.  Third venue is new for this year.  It's a police performance driving training course.  Basically a small road course (just under a mile long), 3 highway lanes wide, with a small skidpad area at one end.  This is the primary venue this year and looks to be promising.  I think layout options will be a little limited, but it will probably end up being like the courses that are run on the Pocono infield road coarse, which are FAST.  Also, no hard obstacles at the edges of the pavement as found at the kart track.

Glen Region (Southern Finger Lakes):  They have the Watkin's Glen paddock as their primary venue.  Actually a pretty small patch of pavement.  I think it's about 400x400, which is quite a bit smaller than WNY's, CNY's, or FLR's main venues.  Other than the appeal of being on hallowed motorsport ground, not sure I'd bother making the drive.  They also run at a decent-sized, albeit a little oddly shaped, lot at a college athletic facility and a medium sized mall parking lot.

SNY (Binghamton area):  Their primary venue is a smallish lot at Binghamton U.  Smaller than FLR's main venue.  Not worth the ~85 mile drive.  They also run at a mall parking lot (same mall that Glen runs at).

MoHud (Albany area):  They have only one venue.  It's a fairly small and weirdly shaped lot in Albany.  Definitely not worth the ~150 mile drive.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

Honestly 6-8 events is probably plenty for a season. I don't think many people go to all of the Utah events, just because real life gets in the way.