Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on February 24, 2017, 05:01:03 PM
I can have a rwd civic?
Where are you going to exploit the chassis... The big dog Model S is in limp mode after 4 miles of hard driving. Ask these are good for are hard launch YouTube reaction videos
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 24, 2017, 05:56:57 PM
Where are you going to exploit the chassis... The big dog Model S is in limp mode after 4 miles of hard driving. Ask these are good for are hard launch YouTube reaction videos

You really have this issue getting racetracks mixed up with real world driving
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on February 24, 2017, 05:35:27 PM
Lucky for them, the best selling and most profitable car is next in line

You do realize that smaller cars are usually less profitable, right?

If Tesla isn't turning a profit on such a large car, that's on them.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 24, 2017, 05:56:57 PM

Not to mention that these things aren't conventionally engine cars so really who gives a solid fuck about drive wheels?

Quote from: r0tor on February 24, 2017, 04:38:12 PM
As far as the Model S profit crybabyness, the damn car had to help bankroll the debt from its development, the development for the X, and the development of the 3, how many hundreds of Supercharging stations ( yea, try to charge up your Bolt on a trip), and a gigantic ass battery factory on US soil.

No car on earth is profitable enough to support those costs

How the fuck is that a good thing? If anything, it says that Tesla don't know what the fuck they're doing....

Quote from: r0tor on February 24, 2017, 04:32:58 PM
Spark or Bolt.... $13k or $37k

:violin:  :huh:

Let's see... One of those for about $40k or this... Yea, I know where my money would go - this isn't even a fair fight

The Bolt looks like a finished product.

r0tor

Quote from: 2o6 on February 24, 2017, 06:39:54 PM

You do realize that smaller cars are usually less profitable, right?

You realize there is going to be a massive increase in sales right?

If Tesla isn't turning a profit on such a large car, that's on them.

Not to mention that these things aren't conventionally engine cars so really who gives a solid fuck about drive wheels?

How the fuck is that a good thing? If anything, it says that Tesla don't know what the fuck they're doing....

Tesla knows what the fuck they are doing.  They developed cars on the backs of wealthy and built up a nation wide infrastructure to recharge the cars while on the road and will be in direct control of the batteries at their manufacturing facility.  That is damn brilliant.

The Bolt "looks like a finished product" since it is as it's nothing more then a $40k parts bin special Spark.  There will be very few suckers that will pay $40k for a $15k car.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on February 24, 2017, 06:39:54 PM

Oh the sweet lil baby Jesus - that had better not be the actual Model 3 interior...

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on February 24, 2017, 04:32:58 PM
Spark or Bolt.... $13k or $37k

:violin:  :huh:

Let's see... One of those for about $40k or this... Yea, I know where my money would go - this isn't even a fair fight

The Model 3 is the girl everyone would want to take home.
(The Bolt has a lovely personality though)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on February 24, 2017, 06:11:48 PM
You really have this issue getting racetracks mixed up with real world driving
And you have an issue with comparing 90K cars with 30K ones. Nobodys perfect

veeman

Cougs had mentioned to read the MotorTrend comparo between the Bolt and Model S and so I did.  MotorTrend loved the Model S and the Bolt but picked the Bolt because it was significantly cheaper.  While both cars drove really well, the Model S has the big advantage of faster charging times and the very cool autopilot feature.

The Model S was a paradigm shift in the automotive landscape.  Other than being a long range electric car with available super car speed, it also had revolutionary autopilot, great styling, and is the safest car Consumer Reports has ever tested. 

The economics of Tesla as a company aside, the upcoming model 3 has 400,000 orders.  How many people in the U.S. have pre-ordered a Bolt?  If Tesla can deliver, it will crush the Bolt.  It just looks way better and will have autopilot.  Does it look unfinished like a kit car on the inside?  Maybe.  Will it have poor reliability.  You betcha.  Will it crush the Bolt in sales.  Yup.  Because the Tesla thumbs their nose at the establishment, doesn't use the annoying dealership model, and it's because the Bolt looks like a regular hatchback.  The Model 3 looks like something different.  It doesn't even have a grill.  And it's lines and proportions are sexy.  It's aspirational.   

When a buyer buys a Bolt you know they also considered a Prius and compared the economics of the two.  When a buyer puts down a downpayment on the Tesla, they just want that Tesla and nothing else.   

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

TBR

If the Telsa's production interior looks anything like that picture, all in all the Bolt is more attractive. The Model 3 looks like a squished Model S, which isn't a particularly attractive car itself.

2o6

Quote from: TBR on February 26, 2017, 03:25:52 AM
If the Telsa's production interior looks anything like that picture, all in all the Bolt is more attractive. The Model 3 looks like a squished Model S, which isn't a particularly attractive car itself.

I hope you mean model X?

I have always thought the Model S is gorgeous

Morris Minor

I have a friend who's a completely non-nerdy guy: a careful, cautious CPA who has no interest in cars. He had an old Camry, cycled it out to give his daughter when she went to college, & replaced it with another (used) Camry.

He saw the Model 3 launch event, fell in love, & put down his deposit.

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on February 26, 2017, 12:04:37 PM
I hope you mean model X?

I have always thought the Model S is gorgeous

Good proportions but not a lot of character, imo.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 26, 2017, 04:34:42 PM
I have a friend who's a completely non-nerdy guy: a careful, cautious CPA who has no interest in cars. He had an old Camry, cycled it out to give his daughter when she went to college, & replaced it with another (used) Camry.

He saw the Model 3 launch event, fell in love, & put down his deposit.
Why?

Are people really falling in love with the concept, or just a car that doesn't look like a Camry?

Morris Minor

Musk is saying the handover party for the first 30 Model 3's will be the end of this month, then production will go up exponentially, 20,000 cars a month by the end of the year.

Xer0

We'll see.  The not super wealthy are clamourong for this car hard.  The thirst is real, and this thing needs to be great to live up to not only tech dreams, but environmentalist dreams. 

Galaxy

So they are delivering the first cars this month, but we have not yet seen the actual finished product?

MrH

The ramp up Musk is talking about now is way, way off target from what was said last year. 

Quote from: Galaxy on July 05, 2017, 10:04:48 AM
So they are delivery the first cars this month, but we have not yet seen the actual finished product?

Lol, nope.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Galaxy on July 05, 2017, 10:04:48 AM
So they are delivery the first cars this month, but we have not yet seen the actual finished product?
:ohyeah:

Morris Minor

This is so reminiscent of Apple mania at its height.

Cookie Monster

I saw a Model 3 last week. It looks like a squished, melted Model S. Doesn't look very attractive, IMO.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Cookie Monster on July 05, 2017, 01:41:56 PM
I saw a Model 3 last week. It looks like a squished, melted Model S. Doesn't look very attractive, IMO.

I am curious to see one in person. I like the way the Model S looks, but it is too big for my tastes.

AutobahnSHO

Teslas are sexy but sexy doesn't always sell the most.
Will

93JC

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 05, 2017, 11:34:38 AM

Indeed. I think it's telling that there's more press coverage of goings-on at Tesla in tech mags than there is in car mags. Granted the car mags are dying a slow death and tech ones seem relatively healthy by comparison, but I think it aptly demonstrates the priorities of many Tesla 'fanbois': they care more about the touchscreen 'UX' and gadgetry like 'Autopilot' than they do things like steering, braking, interior and exterior assembly quality, fit and finish, etc, etc. Tesla doesn't make cars so much as it makes vessels for "over-the-air firmware updates" and the like.

Raza

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 05, 2017, 11:34:38 AM

Yeah, but Apple products were and continue to be the unqualified best products on the market in every single way imaginable. Teslas are just expensive golf carts.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

Some of the most expensive products, anyway... :/

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on July 05, 2017, 04:28:33 PM
Yeah, but Apple products were and continue to be the unqualified best products on the market in every single way imaginable.

QuoteTeslas are just very expensive street legal golf carts.

+1
Will

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on July 05, 2017, 04:28:33 PM
Yeah, but Apple products were and continue to be the unqualified best products on the market in every single way imaginable. Teslas are just expensive golf carts.

My iPhone 6 was mediocre in regards to quality. My 5S was better made.