If you had to replace your car

Started by MrH, June 10, 2018, 07:49:21 AM

Raza

If the Z4 went and I'm not allowed to replace it with a Z4M, I'd get this, probably:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Speed_Racer

Car: If it happened today I'd grab a pre-owned Volt. My car is only relegated to the occasional commute and errands, so it would be nice doing it on full-electric most days (plus free charging stations at work)

Either bike: If I wasn't spooked off riding, I'd take the cash and downsize to just one bike, probably a Tiger ADV

93JC

I was sure we'd had the exact same conversation before, and sure enough we did: "If your car got totaled, right now....", from April 2012.

At the time I said:

Quote from: 93JC on April 25, 2012, 11:50:20 PM
Probably another Mazda 3. Perhaps with a Skyactiv engine instead of the 2.5.

Six years later: I don't know, but probably something similar. May very well get another Mazda 3.

2o6

My dumbass would probably try and import a Mazda2 from Puerto Rico.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on June 12, 2018, 12:30:34 AM
My dumbass would probably try and import a Mazda2 from Puerto Rico.

After the hurricane :wtf:

Why not Canadia?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 12, 2018, 10:19:22 AM
After the hurricane :wtf:

Why not Canadia?

The current shape Mazda2 isn't sold there.

The new MAZDA2 is the Toyota Yaris IA with a hatchback body and a pretttier face. Because it's federalized and sold in PR, it should be able to be shipped over and registered on the mainland.

I'd just be concerned with insurance.

Onslaught

F-150- I wouldn't replace it. I hate trucks.
Miata- Not sure, I'd probably replace it with another NA sometime.
Mazda6- I'd replace with the same car.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

12,000 RPM

O shit. Onslaught you shoudl Exocet your Miata

Onslaught

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 15, 2018, 06:41:55 PM
O shit. Onslaught you shoudl Exocet your Miata
I like the "catfish" too.

TBR

Hmm... in the event that the Outback was totaled, I would probably just pocket the cash and try being a 1 car household. If that didn't work but I was still not driving much (e.g. no daily commute) then I would probably look for a nice 3rd generation Outback with the H6. If I did have a daily commute, and other financial ducks were in a row, I would probably make a bigger move into a new Forester XT (or if the ducks were really in a row, an A5 Sportback or XC60).

If the coming new addition was totaled then obviously we would just replace it with the same thing (conveniently, two are on order from two different dealers because one of them hasn't yet realized that they aren't getting our business).

Laconian

Are you still in England? Are these RHD Outbacks?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TBR

Quote from: Laconian on June 15, 2018, 09:43:42 PM
Are you still in England? Are these RHD Outbacks?

No, we are currently in Texas with family / friends / etc.. gathering things together next week to move to Denver.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Onslaught on June 15, 2018, 07:13:15 PM
I like the "catfish" too.
No Exocet. Then when its too uncomfortable and loud for you I buy it :lol:

Onslaught

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 16, 2018, 04:57:42 AM
No Exocet. Then when its too uncomfortable and loud for you I buy it :lol:
That would be when I was done building it.

mzziaz

Opel Ampera-E = same probably, but I'd test drive the new Leaf first. The Tesla 3 would be a strong contender if it was available.
Renault Megane = another diesel wagon
Alfa Romeo 159 = same if I could find it. Right now there are no other Q4 Ti's for sale anywhere.
Cuore Sportivo

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on June 10, 2018, 07:49:21 AM
Let's say your car is totaled tomorrow, and you get a check for the value of it and say a $5,000 settlement, what would you replace it with?  Would you get the exact same thing you have now?

2015 4Runner - I'd probably replace it with a Ford Flex oddly. They're selling for way under MSRP, it's a lot of vehicle for the dollar.

2001 S2000 - Just wait for the 2019 Miata. I'd probably consider a used C7 corvette, but I don't think I'd ever be able to justify the expense over a Miata.

2012 Tucson - the new Subaru Ascent looks nice. Maybe a CX9.

I think I would probably strongly consider getting another iteration of what I have now.  I really like my car.

My only complaint with this car is that it seems impossible for me to change my own tire.  I really don't like that.  I have always been able to change my own tire if I get a flat, and generally find that preferable to waiting an hour or so for a service to come change the tire for me if it gets flat.

A guy who lives near me got a Mercedes convertible and it looked really tempting.  It would be great as a second car.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

Quote from: dazzleman on June 24, 2018, 06:11:06 PM
I think I would probably strongly consider getting another iteration of what I have now.  I really like my car.

My only complaint with this car is that it seems impossible for me to change my own tire.  I really don't like that.  I have always been able to change my own tire if I get a flat, and generally find that preferable to waiting an hour or so for a service to come change the tire for me if it gets flat.

A guy who lives near me got a Mercedes convertible and it looked really tempting.  It would be great as a second car.

What about the car prevents you from changing a tire?  Does it have a spare?  I don't see why they would include a spare if it was impossible to change it...?

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 25, 2018, 07:54:38 AM
What about the car prevents you from changing a tire?  Does it have a spare?  I don't see why they would include a spare if it was impossible to change it...?
With me, it's the bending over and squatting down.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

I'd take the money for the G37, plus settlement, plus kick in the needed balance, and get a new Miata, the new one with a bit more oomph.
(I'd have to persuade Mrs Minor that she drove manuals for 10 years when we lived in the UK, and she can do it again.)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Laconian

The ND's manual is the swan song of the 6MT.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ChrisV

If the 740i got totaled it'd either get replaced by another one or a Fiat 500E/Spark EV for commuting with.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

68_427

Can someone total the Outback so I can buy a C5?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

HurricaneSteve

Mazda 3: Not sure since it's rarely used but if it had to be replaced, I'd get what is IMHO the best all around CUV a CX-5.
Mazda 2: It would be hard to find another decent driving car that's also reliable and 156 inches or less in length. Probably a Yaris hatch or try to import a new 2 from Puerto Rico.
MX-5: 2019 MX-5 w/the 180 HP motor.

68_427

FRC is the lightest of the C5s however
'racecar is die'
no