EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

AutobahnSHO

I'm sure early gasoline hunting was pretty sketchy too....
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on May 11, 2022, 03:25:06 PM
"To get to brass tacks, the Lightning is the best-driving, best-riding, and best-handling F-150 you can buy. The only reasons not to buy one over a gas- or diesel-powered F-150 are that you have nowhere to charge at home, you actually tow hundreds of miles at a time on a regular basis, or you simply don't like—or won't let yourself like—electric vehicles. All other reasons are invalid."

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-first-drive-review/

Wowsers!

Kinda reads like a paid advertisement.

How many USians can legit afford the best (though not entirely usable) range F-150, which starts at $73k?

Laconian

That's how much brodozers with mods go for..
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on May 15, 2022, 02:38:40 PM

So 1/3 of my state can "afford" one. :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 15, 2022, 02:38:40 PM

Or without. Hell, an F-250 Platinum Starts at $70,000.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

I was pretty down on the F150 pricing, and still am to some degree.  But if everything else is going $5k-$10k over MSRP, it doesn't look too hateful.

I still have my reservation in.  It was going to be 2.5 years until I had the chance to buy one, but it looks like they keep expanding capacity.  Early 2023 might be a possibility for me now, depending on the conversion rate of reservations.

That actually seems to be the best bet.  I would love to have a truck around.  I feel like I need a bed every 2 weeks or so for some house project.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Speed_Racer

I'll be keeping an eye on the Lightning as they start to get returned from leases, so like 5 years from now. No way can I afford a new one, especially with the markups I've been reading about.

Morris Minor

Never thought I'd see the day in this rural area... EV charge bays installed in our nearest shopping center. 7.3kW so Level 2. How long before the vandals destroy it?

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

all that green is sooooo asking for it though

Laconian

The green pavement paint is used for bike lanes.. now this?

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on May 26, 2022, 11:37:20 PM
The green pavement paint is used for bike lanes.. now this?
I know... It's even more jarring in real life. The brodozer wispy-beards are going to have fun. Hold my beer.

giant_mtb

Give it like a week before somebody spray paints a giant dick over that green.  :evildude:

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 27, 2022, 04:38:52 AM
I know... It's even more jarring in real life. The brodozer wispy-beards are going to have fun. Hold my beer.

:lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

It's sort of weird that we all grew up reading about HP numbers and 0-60 stats and how an engine sounds and most nerds would just be like "why the fuck do you care about that, my Corolla does the same thing to get me from A to B," but now the nerds that have no experience with such powerful machines are just like "LOL look, my Tesla does 0-60 in two seconds isn't that great!" 

It's literally a paradigm shift.  People that used to not give a fuck about a vehicle's speed are suddenly really interested in a vehicle's speed because it's the "technological" and "green" way to do it.

Laconian

Nah, it's not like that.  BMW and Audi are bleeding customers to Tesla left and tight, and those are the ones that brag about the performance. The unthusiast commuter crowd also finds things to like in EVs.

You're just witnessing the broadening of EV appeal across different demographics.

CaminoRacer

Yeah there are multiple distinct crowds of EVers. Former Prius owners, former BMW/Audi owners, racers looking to get top time at time trial events, tech nerds, etc.

veeman

This past Memorial Day weekend, drove 11.5 hours both ways (including brief breaks for fueling, restrooms, and buying food/drink) to Hocking Hills, Ohio from where I live in Connecticut.  Big extended family 50th wedding anniversary party at a huge Airbnb type of house.  Hocking Hills is about an hour drive south of Columbus.  While there we also went to a big scenic park.  I was mentally noting how many electric cars I saw on my entire interstate travels, there and back, as well as how many were at the park.  The park was really crowded because of the holiday weekend.  Large parking lots overflowing with cars.

Maybe 1% EV.  A few Teslas and I saw one Rivian pickup on the highway.  This massive paradigm shift everyone is talking about that's going to take place within the next 10 years where people flock to EV... I don't see it happening that fast.  There's not nearly enough public chargers and that'll take a long while. People fuel for 5 minutes and then the next car fuels.  EV takes 20 - 30 minutes or so to fully charge on a typical fast charger.     

Eye of the Tiger

It's too bad there's no battery that's just a liquid. Then it would be easy to turn gas stations in the battery stations.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Maybe there are households with an EV and an ICE car, and theybused the ICE for a road trip?

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 31, 2022, 09:48:57 AM
It's too bad there's no battery that's just a liquid. Then it would be easy to turn gas stations in the battery stations.

I'm sure big sugar will find a way to make this work
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on June 01, 2022, 05:40:10 AM
I'm sure big sugar will find a way to make this work
That whole ethanol in gas thing pisses me off on several different levels.

cawimmer430

Rode in the BMW i3S of my friend Birgit. Range was 80 km and it was so hot. But we couldn't turn on the A/C because the range would drop to 69 km on the first blower level. Second blower level made the range drop to 63 km...

And EVs are supposed to be the future of mobility!?  :confused:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

AC reduces ICE range too.

i3 is just crappy with low range. Get a Chevy with 250 miles of range

Eye of the Tiger

giant_mtb

Quote from: afty on June 01, 2022, 03:08:53 PM
BTW the Bolt just got a $6k price cut: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/01/gm-slashes-prices-of-chevy-bolt-evs-despite-rising-commodity-costs.html

Not a bad idea, if they market those vehicles properly and get a bunch of sales from it.  Basically just banking (literally) that the smaller price will get more people into the GM EV ecosystem and then most of those customers stay there in the future.

Morris Minor

CaminoRacer

nice maybe I'll get a 2nd one

Eye of the Tiger

An EV makes sense for me with my short commute, but it makes no sense to buy one because it is so short.

Laconian

i3s have always been the past of EVs, never the future. :lol: