Another year another car (VTEC content inside)

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 08, 2019, 05:37:16 AM

12,000 RPM

I couldn't take it any more bros. The Optima sucks and was a huge mistake. Prepping it for sale now

I spent most of early summer car shopping. Unlike with the Optima I did my due diligence... took my time, did some research and test drives etc. You have a lot of time to think during a prison sentence. Here is what I drove and passed on:

GTI- didn't wow me like the internet promised, but more importantly was fucking tiny inside, which surprised me as I didn't remember our Rabbit being so cramped. Then again we literally never used the back seat. With the rear facing seat I couldn't sit in front, and my wife is taller than me. When the kid (or kids?) can do front facing seats I will be looking at coupes (no worries, if all goes to plan that will probably be in 4-5 years at the earliest)

GLI- worked space wise but was incredibly ugly in and out... was at the top of my budget so I wanted nothing less than perfection at that price point. I miss the days when they just grafted a trunk onto the Golf (though it would need more legroom too)

F30 340i- again just didn't wow me like the internet promised (no swipes CALL 911). Basically like the F30 328i I rented a few years ago, but with extra power I wouldn't be dipping into much. Dealer only had used 320is and 340is; maybe if they had a 328i M-Sport things would be different. Again at the top of my price range, but didn't have a lot of things I would have wanted at said price (sport package, LSD, LED headlights etc). Also just couldn't push the button on what will hopefully be a long term car from a German manufacturer

Cars I thought about but didn't even bother to test drive... other FWD mainstreamers; mainly the 6 & Civic Si. Either would have worked price wise. 6 is gorgeous and well equipped, CSi is fun to drive. But I think I'm done with FWD for the time being. One of the things I hated the most about the Optima. Couldn't put power down and would cut it for like 10 seconds. Maybe Civic Si would have put the power down well with that LSD... but Morris' CR-V experience turned me off from the 1.5T for now. New Accord is OK but eh. Can't think of anything else worth considering

So anyway what did I end up with? Well I don't have pictures of mine but I got a 2016 Acura TLX SH-AWD Tech. I can prob sum up the last 2 or so months with it 206 style:

+ I love the exterior; looks like an Alfa when modified
+ SH-AWD is no gimmick; it really puts the power down beautifully and with zero fuss
+ As I mentioned in Car Chat gas mileage is excellent; getting ~25-27 MPG a tank in 90-100 degree weather on the same commute that had me in the high teens in the G and low 20s in the Optima (small turbo engines are a lie). Admittedly tires might have factored into that
+ Has good tech. Panasonic ELS stereo is good (though could use more EQ tuning); multiple rear camera views are very handy
+ J35Y6 engine is the best of all worlds. Has about 85% of the zing/rip of the VQ37 in the G, but better gas mileage than my old Civic, and Honda reliability. Still needs timing belt changes though :facepalm:
+ Not TLX specific but not having a black car is nice... much less stress about paint and it is a bit cooler sitting in the hot sun
+ Got a good deal... was at a Honda dealer in my yokel job town, they were days away from sending it to auction so I got it way under KBB. I should have turned the screws even more
+ Much better aftermarket, and FB group is about 3 levels less scummy than the Optima group, which should have been one of many red flags
- ZF9 is not the best. It is amazing at fuel economy as I mentioned... but at low speeds it can be clunky. 1st & 2nd gear are not short enough. Really should have just used the corporate 10 speed
- Interior is cramped for its size; rear child seat just barely fits behind wifey
- Jewel Eye LED headlights low key suck; almost wish I could retrofit some regular HID projectors in
- Could not find one with Advance package which adds ventilated seats and ACC
- No panoramic sunroof available at all, only thing I will miss from the Optima... hopefully will get one in wifey's next car
- Not much internet clout factor ("Satan we couldn't get you a Ferrari cake so we got you an Acura cake")

Again no pics but mine looks exactly like this:

Yep, not the best financial decision but it is what it is. Somebody has to do it :lol: I feel like I am dealing with a known quantity... bought this with a clear head... and most importantly the more time I spend with it the more I am enjoying it. Compared to German equivalents I can see why car mags and the internet write it off... but for the money I think it's a much better deal. A new TLX SH-AWD Advance with absolutely everything you could want feature wise in a sport sedan lists for $45K and sells for less. What German offering are you getting for that price, and is something like a similarly equipped 330i worth $15-20K more? IMO hell no

Though the real deal in the segment, if you are willing to roll the dice, is the Genesis 3.3T... which is just as well equipped as the TLX for the same money, but with damn near 100 more HP. I still don't trust the Koreans though

As for plans going forward... part of me wants to get coilovers and throw the 20s from the Optima on... but part of me also likes it how it is. Tein makes good coilovers so I might just give those a try. Suspension install is a bitch though; probably the worst of any car I've owned... another deterrent. Also really love the "aero kit". May do some noise bolt ons as well

So yea that is where I am... wanted to wait until I "finished the build" but I got tired of holding out
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Nice car, and under rated is good, man. It aint about impressing yabbos on the internet.

But, umm, you sure you want to make the same mistakes on this one you did on the Optima?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 08, 2019, 07:04:46 AM
Nice car, and under rated is good, man. It aint about impressing yabbos on the internet.

But, umm, you sure you want to make the same mistakes on this one you did on the Optima?
The mistake with the Optima was buying the Optima, not really whatever came after. Well, besides selling it after a year :facepalm: And everything I'm looking to do is reversible, with good parts. Going into it with eyes open this time.

2o6

Nice!

(Be careful about that 9AT, everyone who I know works at Honda HQ says it can be kinda dumpy)

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 08, 2019, 07:35:38 AM
The mistake with the Optima was buying the Optima, not really whatever came after. Well, besides selling it after a year :facepalm: And everything I'm looking to do is reversible, with good parts. Going into it with eyes open this time.
Too bad about the Optima.  Just sounds like a vehicle that wasn't well sorted.  2Ts do work well when the software is done right.  The 9 spd helps as well.

Quote from: 2o6 on August 08, 2019, 07:38:28 AM
Nice!

(Be careful about that 9AT, everyone who I know works at Honda HQ says it can be kinda dumpy)
The ZF9 in my Discovery has been flawless over close to 3 years.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on August 08, 2019, 07:38:28 AM
Nice!

Car still has about 20K miles left in warranty, and possibly more on the transmission. Some 2015 cars got replacements... I will ask about it

MrH

Congrats.  Better car than the Optima for sure.

I don't think they've used the 10-speed auto in an AWD application yet?  I think it's just the Accord and Odyssey, but yeah, the general consensus is that it's a much better than the ZF9.

Both are really kind of interesting designs
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Thanks. The RDX has A 10 speed for FWD and AWD, but I don't know if it's exactly the same one. That's a strong contender for the MKX replacement when the time comes.

12,000 RPM

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 08, 2019, 08:01:37 AM
Thanks. The RDX has A 10 speed for FWD and AWD, but I don't know if it's exactly the same one. That's a strong contender for the MKX replacement when the time comes.

Oh, good point.  Didn't realize that had a 10-speed.

I really wish they offered SH-AWD on the Accord. 
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

They have all the pieces to make something great... just need to put it all together

I do think there is an inherent power limit on transverse transmissions which will cap the performance of whatever they do. But ~25-27 MPG and a 100+ MPH trap speed is about as good as it gets

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 08, 2019, 08:20:46 AM
:wub:

Beautiful.  Now...leave it alone so you don't end up hating it. :huh: :lol:

Edit:  Wait, that's a California plate.  Looks lowered, on aftermarket wheels.  Nooooo don't do it.

Xer0

CALL_911

Sweet. I'm glad you replaced the Optima- that was a bad move. I'm glad this has the V6 and not the 2.4L (I don't think you can get one with SHAWD?)

SH-AWD is legit as shit. My girlfriend's RDX has it and it's so much fun to hammer the thing on cloverleafs and feel the power shift. Get some pics of this thing.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FoMoJo

SJ_GTI

Congrats man, its a bigger car than I would want but I agree it is a very compelling package for the price. Hopefully you found a car you can hold on to for a while.  :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 08, 2019, 09:00:01 AM
Sweet. I'm glad you replaced the Optima- that was a bad move. I'm glad this has the V6 and not the 2.4L (I don't think you can get one with SHAWD?)

SH-AWD is legit as shit. My girlfriend's RDX has it and it's so much fun to hammer the thing on cloverleafs and feel the power shift. Get some pics of this thing.
Yea I really missed the "rumble" of the VQ. Again this isn't quite that rude but it's miles better than any turbo 4 I've experienced. Going forward I'm hoping to avoid FWD and turbocharging as long as possible. And SH-AWD is legit... just a shame Honda hasn't put it in something compelling and affordable. Hopefully the next TLX will get the power and transmission necessary to silence the haters

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 08, 2019, 09:02:37 AM
Is that it?  Looks great.
No but that's the color and overall design brief. Wheels, subtle lowering, aero kit, black trim. Just hope the 20s sitting in my garage are comfy and don't kill my FE

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 08, 2019, 11:07:47 AM
Congrats man, its a bigger car than I would want but I agree it is a very compelling package for the price. Hopefully you found a car you can hold on to for a while.  :lol:
Thanks, you and me both brother

cawimmer430

Congrats! Love the color and the wheels; badass combination!  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 08, 2019, 11:34:05 AM

...Just hope the 20s sitting in my garage are comfy and don't kill my FE

Will those fit right on? Or will you have to get adaptors for the bolt pattern and/or offset??

NomisR

If that's the goal, would look good, plan on doing anything to the front look?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 08, 2019, 11:47:28 AM
Will those fit right on? Or will you have to get adaptors for the bolt pattern and/or offset??
They will bolt right up. Admittedly part of the decision :lol: I may run spacers in the back depending on how things sit after lowering. Just afraid of how they will affect everything. They actually rode great on the Optima with stock suspension. Hoping the higher quality coilovers will keep them tolerable

Quote from: NomisR on August 08, 2019, 11:54:59 AM
If that's the goal, would look good, plan on doing anything to the front look?
Would love a chicken wire grille to replace the beak but there are no straightforward solutions. Might do a carbon wrap, I dunno. Not critical. Aero kit will tie up the looks

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 08, 2019, 12:07:44 PM
They will bolt right up. Admittedly part of the decision :lol: I may run spacers in the back depending on how things sit after lowering. Just afraid of how they will affect everything. They actually rode great on the Optima with stock suspension. Hoping the higher quality coilovers will keep them tolerable

That's handy, I would definitely try them out with the stock suspension first to see how it looks (that might be enough). If they ride well it would be a nice upgrade in looks.

I'd probably hold off on the suspension for a while. Get used to how the car rides before deciding to change it.

12,000 RPM

Probably a wise decision. I think I've seen them on bigger wheels with the aero kit... that may honestly be enough

HurricaneSteve

Congrats! That's one of Acura's better designs from the last 10 years. I've seen some aftermarket grilles that look really nice.

r0tor

Seems like a solid upgrade... Will enjoy the adventure this thread will evolve into  :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

I kind of wish you kept us abreast of your buying process. Vicarious car shopping is fun.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

My favorite Acuras tend to be their four bangers, but this is a good pick too. The Honda V6's NVH is amazing.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on August 08, 2019, 02:53:55 PM
My favorite Acuras tend to be their four bangers, but this is a good pick too. The Honda V6's NVH is amazing.

I love NVH, too! You should listen to my AMC tractor engine!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on August 08, 2019, 02:21:22 PM
I kind of wish you kept us abreast of your buying process. Vicarious car shopping is fun.

yeah but it tends to bring out the rabble rabble rabble too. :lol:
Will