Bolt!

Started by CaminoRacer, August 10, 2019, 05:39:57 AM

NomisR

Quote from: mzziaz on December 23, 2021, 11:59:02 PM
The risk of a fire is pretty small. I don't think there has been a single fire yet in Norway. Also, the car is parked in a separate garage located well away from the house.

I know, it's one of those what if's.. especially when I had the car, I never bother taking the car for the recalls since it was simply limiting the charging which was what I did with the settings anyways.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on December 27, 2021, 10:49:32 AM
I know, it's one of those what if's.. especially when I had the car, I never bother taking the car for the recalls since it was simply limiting the charging which was what I did with the settings anyways.

Yeah I never bothered with the previous recall "fixes". Just set it to the hilltop reserve setting to reduce max charge myself
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

mzziaz

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 27, 2021, 11:47:45 AM
Yeah I never bothered with the previous recall "fixes". Just set it to the hilltop reserve setting to reduce max charge myself

+1
Cuore Sportivo

CaminoRacer

Got our car back today. Fresh battery, full charge.

Dealership finished up yesterday afternoon but said they wanted to keep it overnight to let the coolant settle and bleed it again this morning. I don't mind since it meant they could charge it overnight too. (I think the new batteries come in at 30%)

mzziaz

So, noticed any better range?
Cuore Sportivo

CaminoRacer

Quote from: mzziaz on December 29, 2021, 02:13:16 PM
So, noticed any better range?

Less than I expected - I think it was saying 169 miles at the dealership. But I'm not sure how much the Guessometer has recalibrated. I'll probably cycle the battery once or twice then see how much range it has with a full battery.
It's a bad time for range right now. Winter + freeway driving at 70-80 mph.

CaminoRacer

The car tried to strand me in a store parking lot today. It would turn "on" but not shift into gear, and the heater wasn't really turning on. Did a bit of googling and other than the typical module failure, shifter failure, etc. I found someone who mentioned a loose battery cable. So I popped the hood and tested that out. The positive battery cable on the normal 12v car battery was loose. I walked to the other end of the parking lot and got an adjustable wrench from Target ($12 :rage:), tightened up the nut on the cable, and the car finally shifted.

A random guy next to me had jumper cables if the battery was dead, but luckily it was just the loose cable. I should probably get a little jumper box for the car in case the battery ever does die.

I assume the dealership didn't tighten the battery cable enough when they swapped my big battery a couple of weeks ago. Speaking of the dealership, they want me to come back in for a software update that they apparently didn't do when they did the swap. And write down the battery serial number. lol. I am in no rush to go back, maybe later this month.

Eye of the Tiger

'the fuck do you jump start an electric car?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 15, 2022, 05:58:55 PM
'the fuck do you jump start an electric car?

Most still have a 12v battery to run the accessories and flip on the big battery when you turn on the car.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 15, 2022, 05:59:56 PM
Most still have a 12v battery to run the accessories and flip on the big battery when you turn on the car.

I think that is the dumbest thing ever. It should be able to jump start itself.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 15, 2022, 06:01:50 PM
I think that is the dumbest thing ever. It should be able to jump start itself.

Haha right?

So the new Turbo Maverick has the battery in the usual spot. The hybrid model has big battery under the bed and the 12v is under the rear seat. :confused:
Will

Morris Minor

There's a whole DC-to-DC Converter module thingy deal going on in EVs. The big battery has to keep its baby brother 12V battery fed & happy.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

shp4man

If the 12 volt battery fails in an EV, you're fucked. Ask me how I know.  :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on January 16, 2022, 11:21:13 AM
If the 12 volt battery fails in an EV, you're fucked. Ask me how I know.  :lol:
Same with an ICE.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 16, 2022, 11:56:24 AM
Same with an ICE.

You can push start an older ICE with a manual transmission.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 16, 2022, 12:05:41 PM
You can push start an older ICE with a manual transmission.

My Miata would still be in trouble, I guess, since it has a push button starter. Or maybe if the battery isn't completely dead, I could hit the start button with my foot off the brake to go into ACC mode, then push start the car?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 16, 2022, 01:54:55 PM
My Miata would still be in trouble, I guess, since it has a push button starter. Or maybe if the battery isn't completely dead, I could hit the start button with my foot off the brake to go into ACC mode, then push start the car?

I never thought about how push-to-start would interfere with actual push starts before...

My '02 Civic could still be push started, which surprised me at the time.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

There still has to be enough juice to power fuel injectors and ignition modules, which may vary significantly with different vehicles.

Eye of the Tiger

Are you taking the $6000 in lieu of dying in a battery fire?

https://youtu.be/zRX9NysVLZQ

Morris Minor

You get $6,000 and waive your right to sue GM over ANYTHING that may arise with your Bolt. So you could end up a vegetative quadriplegic because something else in the car failed, but GM would be off the hook.

So I'm guessing GM must know there are other flaws in the car.

Rich

I'd take it, sell the car and buy another Bolt? 

I'm guessing the agreement would be tied to the VIN
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

I didn't watch the video.  I skimmed the waiver when they first released it.  It read to me like you couldn't join any class action lawsuits about it, but it didn't necessarily exclude you from suing if it burst into flames later?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

It's all very overblown.

But I got a brand new battery with 6 kwh extra capacity, so I'm happy.

MrH

A new, loaded 2023 Bolt is the deal of the century with that new EV credit bill going through.

Fully loaded Bolt EUV with Super Cruise for $30k is insane.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 05, 2022, 09:14:30 AM
It's all very overblown.

But I got a brand new battery with 6 kwh extra capacity, so I'm happy.

Yeah, but $6000 :lol:

NomisR

Does the $6000 apply to former owners?  I'll take it!

Morris Minor

CaminoRacer

I think my wife brushed the hazard light button this morning, which killed the 12v battery after flashing for 10 hours. My voltmeter read 5.5v. We could jump the car and get it to turn on, but not shift into gear. Maybe it just needs to sit with the jumper cables for longer, but we left the car there for the night and I will call some dealerships in the morning and see if they have any batteries in stock. If not, it looks like Advanced Auto has a battery that will work (Diehard H4-XEV). Kinda pricey at $250, but I'm not sure if the dealership would be cheaper or not.

These Bolts use a weird LN1 size that I think is common in Korea but not here. It's similar to 140R/H4 but those are hard to find too, and the OEM battery is AGM so I'd like to stick with that. (a lot of stores only have non-AGM 140R size)

Summit Racing, Amazon, and Rock Auto have them in stock but it's ground shipping and might take a week to deliver. I knew I'd probably need to replace the battery soon, since it's 5-6 years old and was likely to die soon. I should have ordered one online and just kept it on the trickle charger in the garage, or installed it as a precaution.

Laconian

5.5V? Wow, it's deader than a doornail. Fancy a drop-in lithium replacement? Weight savings...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

I haven't seen any direct lithium replacements. I don't want to jerry rig anything and have the car light on fire when I'm not the one driving it. This is the one car I don't modify. :lol: