Blinded by the lights

Started by Morris Minor, October 16, 2019, 06:37:18 AM

Morris Minor

A truck was stalled on the road into work this morning. It was still dark. A cop car was parked behind him in the lane, with the full LED array blasting in max lumens mode.

Searing retinas, like triggering camera flashes six inches from people's faces & messing up their night vision.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 16, 2019, 06:37:18 AM
A truck was stalled on the road into work this morning. It was still dark. A cop car was parked behind him in the lane, with the full LED array blasting in max lumens mode.

Searing retinas, like triggering camera flashes six inches from people's faces & messing up their night vision.

I've argued they've been way overboard for years now. I did notice the county sheriffs went to a relatively low key lighting arrangement in the back.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Cops love shoving bright lights in your face.  It's how they assert power.  It's a total ninja move...go for the eyes!

Eye of the Tiger

Guilty on all charges. The lights are fucking dangerous.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Just a couple of hey-don't-bump-into-this-truck lights would have been fine.

(I can dim my iPhone display for low light viewing... thinking there must be a nighttime mode for these things.)

12,000 RPM

Similar story for me this morning! On top of that, it was pitch black and on a 2 lane back road with a lot of truck traffic. And the cop parked his car in one of the two lanes. You would think a state trooper would know better :facepalm:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

Wrapped up like a douche.. another runner in the night...

:lol: :muffin:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on October 16, 2019, 01:26:12 PM

revved up like a deuce.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Morris Minor

You drive past the scene - afterimages burned into your retinas. Night vision shot.
You run into a cop who has got out of his car.
Very dangerous. Sad.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on October 16, 2019, 01:26:12 PM

I always wrap my douches before going night running.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 16, 2019, 04:05:22 PM
You drive past the scene - afterimages burned into your retinas. Night vision shot.
You run into a cop who has got out of his car.
Very dangerous. Sad.

The cop who is wearing dark blue, unlike in civilised countries where they wear hi-viz vests when working near traffic.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 16, 2019, 08:18:23 PM
The cop who is wearing dark blue, unlike in civilised countries where they wear hi-viz vests when working near traffic.

Bro, hi viz makes them way too easy to target by criminalz.

ChinaAdemo

nah dont want to put in another dash when i have a good 1600 dash. what size gauge can you put in the left side where the lights are?

graham

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Just throwing this here, because I have to wear sunglasses at night these days

https://chng.it/SWMtSs6nkB

Eye of the Tiger

I put SOLAS marine reflective tape across my rear bumper. Is it illegal? Probably. Will it blind some LED/HID tailgating fuck? I can hope.

MrH

I love that this thread was bumped.

Nick, do you actually wear sunglasses at night?  I wear my polarized sunglasses deep into the evening, but it eventually gets too dark.  Any recommendation for night lenses?

I've always had really sensitive eyes.  Lasik has made it worse for night driving with the halo effect.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on February 11, 2023, 07:28:32 AM

Nick, do you actually wear sunglasses at night?  I wear my polarized sunglasses deep into the evening, but it eventually gets too dark.  Any recommendation for night lenses?

I've always had really sensitive eyes.  Lasik has made it worse for night driving with the halo effect.

I have polarized yellow over-my-eyeglasses glasses. They are actually for night driving.

Look for FL-41 or FL-500 lenses, polarized.

Laconian

Oh interesting. Might be a good thing for the Miata.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

This is how stupid I have to look because other cars have stupid lights.

How could France have had it so right in 1937, but in 2023 the USA carries on with high intensity piercing blue lights?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on February 11, 2023, 07:28:32 AM

Lately I've been going the opposite way - trying to wear my sunglasses less during the day to see if it helps my eyes be less sensitive.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Nothing's more fun than being tailgated by a bro a in a brodozer with mega-lumens headlights.
My wife & son have light-colored eyes & are super sensitive to this. An ophthalmologist told me it's because of lower melanin levels in the retinas, & the lower melanin also accounts for lighter color eyes. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 13, 2023, 03:28:10 PM
Nothing's more fun than being tailgated by a bro a in a brodozer with mega-lumens headlights.
My wife & son have light-colored eyes & are super sensitive to this. An ophthalmologist told me it's because of lower melanin levels in the retinas, & the lower melanin also accounts for lighter color eyes.

Correct. Hence northern folk (Scandinavian) generally have lighter colored eyes.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 13, 2023, 08:17:50 PM
Correct. Hence northern folk (Scandinavian) generally have lighter colored eyes.

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 13, 2023, 03:28:10 PM

Yeah, I have blue eyes.  I always heard that blue eyes were more sensitive to light.  Makes sense.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

This should scare you then

QuoteTitle: Permanent retinal damage from overly bright headlights in individuals with blue irises

Abstract: The purpose of this study is to investigate the effects of overly bright headlights on the retinas of individuals with blue irises. Blue-eyed individuals have less melanin in their irises, which allows more light to penetrate the eye and reach the retina. This increased light exposure may lead to phototoxicity and retinal damage. In this study, we performed a literature review of existing research on the topic, as well as conducted our own experiments on human subjects. Our findings indicate that prolonged exposure to overly bright headlights can lead to permanent retinal damage, particularly in blue-eyed individuals. We recommend that automakers and policymakers take steps to regulate headlight brightness and ensure that all drivers are protected from this potential hazard.

Introduction: Blue eyes are a unique and striking feature in humans. However, they may also increase the risk of retinal damage from overly bright headlights. Blue eyes are characterized by low levels of melanin in the iris, which leads to increased light transmission to the retina. This increased light exposure can cause damage to the photoreceptor cells in the retina, leading to permanent vision loss.

Methods: We conducted a literature review of existing research on the topic of retinal damage from overly bright headlights in blue-eyed individuals. We also conducted our own experiments on human subjects, in which we measured the retinal responses to varying levels of headlight brightness. Participants were chosen based on their iris color, and their retinas were examined using fundus photography and optical coherence tomography.

Results: Our literature review revealed several studies that reported increased rates of retinal damage and vision loss in blue-eyed individuals. Our own experiments confirmed that blue-eyed individuals are more susceptible to retinal damage from overly bright headlights. Specifically, we found that exposure to headlights with luminance levels above 5,000 cd/m2 for more than 10 seconds led to permanent retinal damage in some of our participants. This damage was most severe in individuals with the lightest blue irises.

Discussion: Our findings have important implications for automakers and policymakers. Headlight brightness is regulated by various standards and regulations, but these standards may not adequately protect individuals with blue irises. We recommend that automakers take steps to ensure that their headlights are safe for all drivers, regardless of their iris color. Policymakers may also consider updating regulations to better account for the unique risks faced by blue-eyed individuals.

Conclusion: The results of this study indicate that blue-eyed individuals are at increased risk for retinal damage from overly bright headlights. Our findings suggest that current regulations may not be adequate to protect this population, and we recommend that automakers and policymakers take steps to address this issue. By raising awareness of this potential hazard and implementing appropriate safeguards, we can help prevent permanent vision loss in individuals with blue irises.

Source link

giant_mtb

Wonder how bright headlights compare to the sunshine glare off of blankets of white snow for 5-6 months a year...which is what blue-eyed folks have been looking at for thousands of years before "overly bright headlights" were a problem.

MrH

Great :lol:

I'm always shocked how many cars are driving with their brights on.  I can tell from a mile away.  I'd say 20% of cars around here have their brights on, blinding everyone.  A lot of times, one of their main headlight bulbs burns out, so their solution is just drive around with their brights on :facepalm:

It's every worse in the BRZ.  Even just standard HID lights, without their brights, I'm typically well below their cut off.  I might take some of my sunglasses and order yellow tinted lenses and see if that helps.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Click the source link, I had ChatGPT write up that pile of fake news :lol: