Next C63 AMG to use hybrid 4 popper

Started by 12,000 RPM, October 17, 2019, 06:05:17 AM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Greta is tougher than most of her critics

Submariner

"Mercedes-AMG will send a clear message that it is adapting to modern demands"

Who the fuck is buying an AMG Mercedes and thinking that, exactly? 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Submariner on October 17, 2019, 03:00:19 PM
"Mercedes-AMG will send a clear message that it is adapting to modern demands"

Who the fuck is buying an AMG Mercedes and thinking that, exactly?
This isn't about buyers. It's about sending a clear message... *takes deep breath, hopes not to trigger Wimmer*.... to EU regulators and environmentalists. This is not a fight they can win by dialing up the macho. I still think this is a step way too far though.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 17, 2019, 03:25:19 PM
... *takes deep breath, hopes not to trigger Wimmer*....

:lol:

*winces in anticipation*

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 17, 2019, 03:25:19 PM
This isn't about buyers. It's about sending a clear message... *takes deep breath, hopes not to trigger Wimmer*.... to EU regulators and environmentalists. This is not a fight they can win by dialing up the macho. I still think this is a step way too far though.

Turbo fours sound awful, but performance gains have been insane over the past decade, in spite of fuel economy numbers going steadily up.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on October 17, 2019, 04:08:53 PM
Turbo fours sound awful, but performance gains have been insane over the past decade, in spite of fuel economy numbers going steadily up.
To be fair though, the same could be said of V8s. The old C63 with the N/A 6.2L could only muster 15MPG combined. The new one is a good bit faster and is rated at 21MPG combined. So there's progress there. Swapping the turbos for a hybrid system would prob get that to like 25-26.

cawimmer430

This was to be expected. Can't say I am surprised.

Mercedes has stopped the development of new internal combustion engines and like VW will focus on electrification. The next-generation C-Class and other MBs will be the last to feature internal combustion engines. After that it's EV-only.

Depressing.  :cry:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 18, 2019, 08:18:59 AM
This was to be expected. Can't say I am surprised.

Mercedes has stopped the development of new internal combustion engines and like VW will focus on electrification. The next-generation C-Class and other MBs will be the last to feature internal combustion engines. After that it's EV-only.

Depressing.  :cry:
This is what they claim, but I honestly don't believe it. All the EV promise from manufacturers doesn't line up with actual EV demand. And if autonomy becomes a thing all bets are off.

Laconian

I am a little curious how well a hybrid drivetrain can supplement a massively boosted engine. It could do a good job of filling in the power bog before the engine goes on boost, the electrical equivalent of sequential turbos.

It will still sound bad though.

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on October 19, 2019, 12:46:32 PM
I am a little curious how well a hybrid drivetrain can supplement a massively boosted engine. It could do a good job of filling in the power bog before the engine goes on boost, the electrical equivalent of sequential turbos.

It will still sound bad though.

McLaren P1
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

I like the LaFerrari's application better. Why go through all that trouble.... just to end up with a muffled generic sounding turbo motor anyway.

r0tor

I honestly think multiple catalytic converters and now particulate filters are more of an issue with sound then turbos.  There are still some new and plenty of older turbo cars that sound great.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on October 21, 2019, 10:33:30 AM
I honestly think multiple catalytic converters and now particulate filters are more of an issue with sound then turbos.  There are still some new and plenty of older turbo cars that sound great.

There's a guy in our local SCCA club that swapped his BRZ mufflers for a track pipe and it didn't get any louder since it still has the cats and resonators.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Old turbo cars were tuned very differently. A lot of modern gas turbo engines are tuned like diesels, and by extension sound like them.

Turbos also kill any hope of a decent induction noise, unless you like hissing and chuffing.

r0tor

I find hissing and chuffing charming actually

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on October 21, 2019, 11:58:54 AM
I find hissing and chuffing charming actually

I don't think you'll get Evo VIII rally noises on a M-B.

12,000 RPM

You can with the Todeshaus Stage 2 Popcorn And Lasers reflash with the HKS Staru Warzu Tai Fighteru BOV kit. Good for +10HP/+200TQ.

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on October 21, 2019, 12:17:40 PM
I don't think you'll get Evo VIII rally noises on a M-B.

That's one bitch I have at bmw M cars at the moment... Quit trying to make your turbo cars (synthetically) sound N/A.  If it has a turbo I want to at least hear a woooosh and maybe an occasional psssshhht

12,000 RPM

BMW knows the truth

Vettel didn't say "bring back the fucking turbo 4 poppers"

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

r0tor

12,000 RPM

r0tor

For the record, F1 just overhauled its rules for 2021 and the teams requested keeping the current turbo hybrid powerplants

12,000 RPM

Of course, they already have their hand$ full with all the 2021 redevelopment work. Again, that doesn't change what was said