It all started innocently enough, wherein ChrisV brings home a MINI JCW roadster

Started by ChrisV, December 24, 2020, 10:06:16 AM

GoCougs

Factory wheels in gold looks sharp.

Looks like you're an expert on painting/finishes, but FWIW on the previous car (Infiniti), I had the wheels refinished multiple times. Even at $225-$250/ea it was subpar IMO - or in the least didn't match the quality and durability of the factory finish, esp. matching the factory color. Couldn't crack the code on who to use. Lots of local places with websites showing amazing work but none met expectations. After a few tries I was getting almost as good results using O'Reilly's wheel spray paint kit, and it wasn't costing me $1,000 or my car at the shop all day. My research (dealer, etc.) said the automaker has an extensive prep, finishing and QC process that is impossible to replicate outside the factory. Anyway, my experience, with zero answers. Perhaps powder coating is a more predictable process...

ChrisV

Yeah, painting wheels is an issue, as it's really hard to get them sanded properly and have the paint stick for any length of time AND, as you mentioned, they rarely have the look of a factory job. I've done it before on simple wheels, but wouldn't want to do it on anything even as complex as these. Stripping them down and powder coating is a much different process as it's electrically bonded to the metal, which is essentially the factory method of finishing them. It lasts a longtime, and you can get the look of anodizing if you want it.

This would be what I'm going for:

But any sort of finish is possible.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SJ_GTI

I'll be curious to see how it looks (up close like that) if you do go for it.

ChrisV

Well, this year it's gone from 52k miles on it when I got it, to 60k on it now, with more to be added before the end of the year with a couple fun runs happening with the MINI club. So far the only things needed to be replaced on it were the tires not long after I got it, and I replaced the original battery (yeah it had a 2012 date code stamped in it). Other than that, (knock on wood) it's been dead nuts reliable.

FoMoJo

I bet you'd love to have that Tiger parked beside your Mini.  I know I would.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ChrisV

Yeah, it was sweet! But I'm starting to get to the point where cars of that age are more fun to look at than own. I've had a lot of British and Italian sports cars of that era and while they were fun at the time, it is more of a rose colored glasses sort of thing with them now. For driving, I'm having more fun in this MINI than in just about any other car I've owned (the exceptions were my V8 RX7, and the Daytona Spider replica, both of which I had considerable sweat equity in).

ChrisV

Beautiful brisk fall days. Perfect for top down drive in the fall colors with other MINIs... You can almost see my windshield behind the lead blue MINI...

ChrisV

ChrisV

Well, finishing out the first year with the car. Absolutely stellar. One of my favorite cars I've ever owned. Needed nothing but the aforementioned tires and battery in the year, and delivered miles of smiles. :) Knock on wood the next year will be the same! Just a few more additions are planned. The gold wheels, AEM ram air intake (that makes the hood scoop functional) a tune, and these taillights: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Red-color-For-Mini-Cooper-Clubman_1600211292360.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.747328f3kb8sy3

ChrisV

ok, got some additional bits on it. A clear plexiglass wind deflector to keep buffeting down in the cabin. Works great on the little bit I've driven with it so far. And got those taillights on it, as well as sequential side markers.

https://youtu.be/2tXTXo3NTFI

veeman

Love the sequential tail light signals and side markers.  Very classy. 

ChrisV

Well, it's first actual repair is needed. Took it in for it's spring oil change (I change it in spring and fall, regardless of mileage) and I like taking it to my local dealer for this as they are always fair and never try to pressure me into things I don't need, but do point out areas of interest (like the battery age when I got the car). I love that they do a video walkaround of the car during the inspection while it's up an the lift so everything is easy to see. This time while it was in, they pointed out a slight coolant leak from the thermostat housing. Not bad, but it should be taken care of soon. They did quote me $900 to change it out, so I got online while sitting there in the dealership and found the part at FCP Euro for $100 with a lifetime warranty. So it looks like I'll be doing that one shortly.

ChrisV

That repair never was needed it turns out. I drove it in 97 degree weather all over eastern MD and it never lost a drop of coolant. Still hasn't, even after most of the year has gone by.

So I added wireless CarPlay to the car...

AutobahnSHO

nice!

I need to get Android Auto into Scrappy- it's a pain right now dealing with phone calls in the car. Does a microphone pick up voice enough with the top down?
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 10, 2023, 10:01:39 PM
nice!

I need to get Android Auto into Scrappy- it's a pain right now dealing with phone calls in the car. Does a microphone pick up voice enough with the top down?

Topdown bluetooth phone calls are a lost cause IMO
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on February 10, 2023, 10:07:32 PM
Topdown bluetooth phone calls are a lost cause IMO

+1

I had a bluetooth setup in the S2000.  Had a tiny mic from the head unit to the steering column.  I could bend over and yell into it at high way speeds, but it was basically only good for phone calls like "yeah, on my way home.  See you in 20 minutes".  I can't imagine having an actual conversation with it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

I think the mic in my ND is OK with the top down around town. The headrest speakers help a ton for me being able to hear the other person.

My louder exhaust isn't helpful though, I'm sure the call quality was better stock.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

I was toying with just grabbing a bluetooth speaker (meant for cars), I could hold it right next to mouth??....
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on February 11, 2023, 12:50:46 PM
Maybe Will can smuggle home some military subvocalization tech. :lol:

maybe someone else, but I have never been a rule-breaker.  :huh:

Speaking of, read this about another Soldier the other day https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdga/pr/fort-stewart-soldier-sentenced-prison-prolific-fraud-scheme-targeting-covid-19-relief
:confused:  :mask:  :nono:  :pullover:
Will