Rivian

Started by CaminoRacer, January 29, 2021, 11:12:20 PM

CaminoRacer

Long Way Up featured 2 Rivian trucks as the camera vehicles, and did a great job of selling me on them. Now I've learned they will be selling an SUV in this gorgeous blue color. This might be my next car. :wub:

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

I am mentally preparing for an EV - probably for late 2022.
Selling the idea to Mrs Minor. She will cross examine me on the whys and wherefores and economics.
I will be getting a 240V outlet put in the garage, and I will need to place it carefully. Perhaps on the ceiling with a pulley-retractable system.
I'd want an EV built ground-up to be an EV on a dedicated platform.
I'll be paying attention to efficiency  - watt hours/mile etc.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

FoMoJo

Apparently mid-size, a la Ford Edge, Discovery Sport, et al, ideal for most families.

Very attractive for what it is.  Love the pastel shades.

With the financial backing, it could be one of the future major players.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 29, 2021, 11:12:20 PM
Long Way Up featured 2 Rivian trucks as the camera vehicles, and did a great job of selling me on them. Now I've learned they will be selling an SUV in this gorgeous blue color. This might be my next car. :wub:
I love that blue too, & am pleased we're beginning to edge away from boring black/white/grey/silver.

veeman

Beautiful truck in a beautiful color.  The price for this (starting at $77,500) is high but not really high for what it is.  Hope it succeeds.

CaminoRacer

I gotta figure out how to wrangle up 80k in the next 2 years. What's the next Gamestok bubble?

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 30, 2021, 12:35:08 PM
I gotta figure out how to wrangle up 80k in the next 2 years. What's the next Gamestok bubble?

Sbarro. Nowhere to go but up, right?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 30, 2021, 01:36:38 AM
I am mentally preparing for an EV - probably for late 2022.
Selling the idea to Mrs Minor. She will cross examine me on the whys and wherefores and economics.
I will be getting a 240V outlet put in the garage, and I will need to place it carefully. Perhaps on the ceiling with a pulley-retractable system.
I'd want an EV built ground-up to be an EV on a dedicated platform.
I'll be paying attention to efficiency  - watt hours/mile etc.

I think I'm going that way too.  I've got the Outback and S2000.  Girlfriend has a 2012 Focus.  She's going to get a new car sometime this year probably.  I threw out the idea of a Mustang Mach E, but it's more than she wants to spend, and we don't really want to put a charger in this house, so we'll like end up with a 2021 CX-5.  We'll probably move this year too into something with a 3 car garage, and a good chance I update the S2000 to a ND Miata or '22 BRZ.

I imagine in 5 years or so, the house will be 2 crossovers and 1 sport car, with one of the crossovers being an EV.  I think we'll always need to have a gas crossover for road trips, and I can't imagine electric sports cars being a viable thing for a few generations still.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on January 30, 2021, 12:43:22 PM
Sbarro. Nowhere to go but up, right?
I came across this today in a bleak & nearly deserted food court, and remembered your post.

CaminoRacer

Rivian van spotted in Seattle

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 31, 2021, 01:25:01 PM
I came across this today in a bleak & nearly deserted food court, and remembered your post.

I feel like I need to go on antidepressants after having seen that picture. :cry: :lol:

CaminoRacer

Rivian tackling Hell's Revenge on stock tires.

https://youtu.be/Yeth5v_5dPM

Morris Minor

Rivian has a decent chance of being a major league player in the EV market IMO. If not the market leader, then at least #2 or #3.

Morris Minor

Market Cap
RIVN: $120bn
GM: $90bn
F: $78bn

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 11, 2021, 06:29:45 PM
Market Cap
RIVN: $120bn
GM: $90bn
F: $78bn

Proof the numbers are all made up. How many vehicles has R sold again compared to the other two? :confused:
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 12, 2021, 03:02:24 AM
Proof the numbers are all made up. How many vehicles has R sold again compared to the other two? :confused:
Rivian expects to produce about 1,200 vehicles this year. It has orders for around 56,000. GM & Ford produce millions.
Ultimately, after the speculative dust is shaken out, companies' market caps reflect future prospects. The markets are not betting on the ICE incumbents.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 12, 2021, 05:08:45 AM
Rivian expects to produce about 1,200 vehicles this year. It has orders for around 56,000. GM & Ford produce millions.
Ultimately, after the speculative dust is shaken out, companies' market caps reflect future prospects. The markets are not betting on the ICE incumbents.

I know it doesn't meet everyone's needs, but Ford's new Maverick Hybrid is cheaper to buy and better gas mileage than a Civic hybrid. Just absolutely mind blowing (to me).

I could see the type of vehicle eventually being converted to EV...
Especially when Americans want larger vehicles but also CHEAP.
Will

r0tor

It's another meme stock
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 12, 2021, 05:08:45 AM

I can't see today's market and think that rings true anymore.  The speculative dust doesn't shake out until the SEC starts to enforce the law on the books and the money printing stops.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Well, the money is chasing disruptors: the total addressable market for SUVs & pickups is huge, and now ripe for EV disruptors.  So if Rivian can do what's needed, the valuations may not be too outlandish.  They have the advantage of a clean sheet, a shitload of capital, a lack of big-corporation inertia, e.g. no need to fund the project from gasoline vehicle sales. The challenge is ramping production... the fuckups underlying that issue nearly broke Tesla's back in 2017/18.

But Tesla's run rate is now approaching a million a year - just from two factories - so Rivian won't be treading uncharted territory.

AutobahnSHO

Ford isn't exactly slacking off. Sure the speculators love the next big door buster, but the incumbents have experience in a lot of the technology.

https://carbuzz.com/news/fords-latest-invention-could-be-a-major-breakthrough
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 12, 2021, 09:10:00 AM
Ford isn't exactly slacking off. Sure the speculators love the next big door buster, but the incumbents have experience in a lot of the technology.

https://carbuzz.com/news/fords-latest-invention-could-be-a-major-breakthrough
Ford also as a 12% stake in Rivian.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

If (when?) charging is able to do that (charge as fast as it takes to fill up a tank with gas) then that is probably the final nail in the coffin of the ICE. At that point smaller/lighter (and cheaper) EV's with smaller batteries start to make a lot more sense.

r0tor

The traditional automakers have pretty much all stumbled trying to make EVs at scale... makes the Tesla way of doing things look brilliant in comparison.  There seems to be a pretty steep learning curve for EV production - can only guess if Rivian figures it out
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 12, 2021, 09:23:49 AM
If (when?) charging is able to do that (charge as fast as it takes to fill up a tank with gas) then that is probably the final nail in the coffin of the ICE. At that point smaller/lighter (and cheaper) EV's with smaller batteries start to make a lot more sense.

Are WtP buying Teslas (i.e., the Prius effect) or EVs (i.e., the iDevice effect). IMO all indications is it is the former, and government forcing one vs. the other is bound to go very poorly overall.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on November 12, 2021, 10:18:46 AM
Are WtP buying Teslas (i.e., the Prius effect) or EVs (i.e., the iDevice effect). IMO all indications is it is the former, and government forcing one vs. the other is bound to go very poorly overall.

Cool, so instead of EV subsidies, lets just start to pay at the pump for the security costs, healthcare costs, and environmental damage from the oil industry.

Anyone in for $15 a gallon gas instead of those nasty EV subsidies?

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 12, 2021, 09:14:08 AM
Ford also as a 12% stake in Rivian.
Good point. Of the big auto makers, I'd say Ford has the sunniest future. There's a bit of a struggle going on within the others.

Laconian

Hyundai seems to be adapting pretty well. They have an impending avalanche of new EV product.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on November 12, 2021, 10:42:56 AM
Cool, so instead of EV subsidies, lets just start to pay at the pump for the security costs, healthcare costs, and environmental damage from the oil industry.

Anyone in for $15 a gallon gas instead of those nasty EV subsidies?

Debit as you like, just as long as you credit as well - jetliners, trains, computers, skyscrapers, cancer treatment, aka, the modern world as you know it.

Morris Minor