My new car: 2021 Audi SQ5 Prestige.

Started by GoCougs, May 06, 2021, 06:54:14 AM

veeman

That's significantly faster than your old G.  Does it noticeably feel faster?

GoCougs

Quote from: veeman on February 06, 2022, 09:20:58 AM
That's significantly faster than your old G.  Does it noticeably feel faster?

Sorta quicker. The SQ5 has launch control and comically harsh shifts in the lower gears, whereas the G had neither. So, lined up in a structured manner at a drag strip, the SQ5 will be noticeably quicker. However, out on the road, esp. from a roll at higher speeds, the SQ5 is only somewhat to a bit quicker.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 07, 2022, 07:57:07 AM
Impossible

Oh it's a V6. Thought it was a turbo 4. Because everything is a turbo 4 these days.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 07, 2022, 09:11:52 AM
Oh it's a V6. Thought it was a turbo 4. Because everything is a turbo 4 these days.

It's a turbo V6, but it also makes maximum torque just off idle.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 07, 2022, 10:09:34 AM
It's a turbo V6, but it also makes maximum torque just off idle.

Sounds like it's an EV.

GoCougs

Just FYI all USDM B9 (2018+) SQ5s are the non-hybrid 3.0T V6.

There is moderate lag off idle (i.e., when not using LC or brake torque) at max throttle from a stop, and I imagine also when flat footing it in a tall gear, but the 8ZF is so responsive (and has auto kick down even in manual mode) once underway lag is effectively never encountered. There is the typical turbo dull throttle response that is not exactly lag though - the G's gruff old lump was light years ahead in throttle response. FWIW, the APR stage 1 tune supposedly addresses this to some extent (how, not sure).

Of note, Audi's 2.9TT V6 uses a small electric supercharger to minimize lag.

GoCougs

Quote from: GoCougs on February 06, 2022, 09:17:29 PM
Sorta quicker. The SQ5 has launch control and comically harsh shifts in the lower gears, whereas the G had neither. So, lined up in a structured manner at a drag strip, the SQ5 will be noticeably quicker. However, out on the road, esp. from a roll at higher speeds, the SQ5 is only somewhat to a bit quicker.

I should also say the SQ5 feels substantially quicker in daily driving because the 8ZF is so much more responsive that the G's 7AT (exactly how much quicker is hard to quantify (i.e., performance at part throttle, esp. down shifting in auto mode)).

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on February 07, 2022, 11:12:38 AM
I should also say the SQ5 feels substantially quicker in daily driving because the 8ZF is so much more responsive that the G's 7AT (exactly how much quicker is hard to quantify (i.e., performance at part throttle, esp. down shifting in auto mode)).

Yes, turbo torque + better transmissions is the big difference between early 2000s cars and 2014+ cars, in my experience. Even in cars with similar power, the torque curve and transmission gearing/# of gears helps the newer cars smoke the older cars.

Eye of the Tiger

I am a fan of throttle response. Nothing beats a well tuned carburetor, but a fuel injected AMC tractor engine comes close.

r0tor

I'm really not sold on an 8 speed on modern turbo cars.  The power bands are so damn wide that having a gear for every 1,500 rpms is nonsensical - especially when most turbo cars actually fall off pretty hard at the top of the rev range where it's locked into
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 07, 2022, 01:17:14 PM
I'm really not sold on an 8 speed on modern turbo cars.  The power bands are so damn wide that having a gear for every 1,500 rpms is nonsensical - especially when most turbo cars actually fall off pretty hard at the top of the rev range where it's locked into

More gears = narrower RPM operating range near/at:

peak HP rpm = higher average power put to the street = quicker acceleration.

BSFC rpm = better mpg.

daily driving RPM = narrower process window = easier to tune emissions.

This will be the case for N/A or forced induction, diesel or gasoline.

These modern turbos in heavier-than-ever cars with an old-school 4/5/6 sp AT would suffer in performance, mpg and emissions (er, testing for emissions).

This is all presuming the transmission is up to the task - shifts quickly, shifts efficiently, efficiently transfers power and isn't overly big/heavy. Prior to ~10 years ago, that probably wasn't really possible, at least not cost effectively.

Also of note, Ford and GM recently upgraded their HD diesel pickups with a 10sp AT from a 6sp AT, no doubt a monumentally expensive undertaking, that wouldn't have been done if there wasn't a material benefit.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on February 07, 2022, 10:00:07 PM
More gears = narrower RPM operating range near/at:

peak HP rpm = higher average power put to the street = quicker acceleration.

BSFC rpm = better mpg.

daily driving RPM = narrower process window = easier to tune emissions.

This will be the case for N/A or forced induction, diesel or gasoline.

These modern turbos in heavier-than-ever cars with an old-school 4/5/6 sp AT would suffer in performance, mpg and emissions (er, testing for emissions).

This is all presuming the transmission is up to the task - shifts quickly, shifts efficiently, efficiently transfers power and isn't overly big/heavy. Prior to ~10 years ago, that probably wasn't really possible, at least not cost effectively.

Also of note, Ford and GM recently upgraded their HD diesel pickups with a 10sp AT from a 6sp AT, no doubt a monumentally expensive undertaking, that wouldn't have been done if there wasn't a material benefit.
Largely driven by fuel efficiency numbers.  An 8, 9 and 10 speed with a small turbo generally try to keep the engine in the optimal rev range for fuel efficiency...unless you want to "drive it like you stole it," then the efficiency numbers go out the tailpipe.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

APR still doesn't have the tune for my ECU S/N. Have researched many tunes - IE, 034, EPL, etc., - that do exist. Thing is APR is the only stage 1 tune that is both CARB/50-state legal and available with a warranty that supplants the manufacturer warranty. Bummer as I'm dying a bit here - the SQ5 simply isn't as quick as it should be, esp. from a roll at freeway speeds. Anyway, hope it's ready soon.

veeman

Quote from: GoCougs on March 10, 2022, 05:27:35 PM
APR still doesn't have the tune for my ECU S/N. Have researched many tunes - IE, 034, EPL, etc., - that do exist. Thing is APR is the only stage 1 tune that is both CARB/50-state legal and available with a warranty that supplants the manufacturer warranty. Bummer as I'm dying a bit here - the SQ5 simply isn't as quick as it should be, esp. from a roll at freeway speeds. Anyway, hope it's ready soon.

Maybe sell it and get a Macan. 

GoCougs

The SQ5 is a better vehicle overall IME, esp. rear seat space and light-years ahead in infotainment.

dazzleman

Any updates on your satisfaction with the car, Cougs?

I took my car in for servicing on Wednesday.  I needed my 2 year oil change but there were a couple of other issues.  I was having an issue with the central locking mechanism which sometimes locked passengers in the car so the door had to be opened from the outside.  Also, there were 2 outstanding recalls on the car.

The parts for one of the recalls were not in stock, so I will have to bring it back for that.

But the remaining recall was more serious than I realized.  There was a problem with the rear axle that caused uneven wear on the tires.  Even though I have only 9,400 miles on the car, the portion of the rear tires that actually hit the road were bald.  Almost two weeks ago, I was driving to Norwalk, CT (about a 20 minute drive) down I-95 during a blinding rainstorm, and it felt as if the back of the car was swaying.  I got pretty scared and had to slow down to a slow speed.  Driving home, the rain had stopped and the car seemed OK.

But when the guy at the dealer told me about the bald tires in the rear (which I had realized), a light bulb went off and I connected that to my swaying incident.  Bottom line is that they gave me 4 new tires free of charge.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

AutobahnSHO

Will

GoCougs

The SQ5 is holding up well enough. Expectation are still being met, though it is an SUV (small but still weighs ~4,500 lbs) so I am more than starving for the APR tune (not ready yet). Now have ~30k miles on it and it's getting a smidge rattlely and the factory tires are just about shot. Getting it serviced has been an absolute nightmare however.

I don't lose my temper often but I've let the dealer have it after ~18 months of absolute incompetence. I've gotten screwed on the last two service appointments (ultimately I had to do it myself), which isn't a big deal, except like a moron I let them scam me on prepaid service. I don't have the energy to go into the details, but the other Audi dealers have heard the same. Will go to a different dealer now, but it's much much further away, and I leave ~$2k in prepaid service on the table. Fucking morons.

AutobahnSHO

Will

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on August 03, 2022, 10:40:56 AM
The SQ5 is holding up well enough. Expectation are still being met, though it is an SUV (small but still weighs ~4,500 lbs) so I am more than starving for the APR tune (not ready yet). Now have ~30k miles on it and it's getting a smidge rattlely and the factory tires are just about shot. Getting it serviced has been an absolute nightmare however.

I don't lose my temper often but I've let the dealer have it after ~18 months of absolute incompetence. I've gotten screwed on the last two service appointments (ultimately I had to do it myself), which isn't a big deal, except like a moron I let them scam me on prepaid service. I don't have the energy to go into the details, but the other Audi dealers have heard the same. Will go to a different dealer now, but it's much much further away, and I leave ~$2k in prepaid service on the table. Fucking morons.

Sorry to hear about your troubles man.  So far, I am doing Ok with my Audi.  I had a recall that was related to some problem with the rear axle.  As a result, my tires had uneven wear and were partially bald after <10k miles.  They gave me 4 new tires without charge as a result.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

In Lake Tahoe for 10 days for mountain biking. Driving up to ~9,000 feet and 90F+ temps and all seems to do well. Power drops a bit, esp. when not on boost, but obviously holds on vastly better than a N/A power plant.

Ran over a goddamned pick axe on the freeway so had to scramble to get new tires - found 'em in Reno, but cost me a day of riding to get it all sorted. The factory sucky-ish Michelins were 90% cooked anyway, so upgraded a bit to Michelin something or other grand touring.

Still needs more power however esp. at the price point. APR is still MIA, and it's more than disappointing.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on August 25, 2022, 09:51:54 AM
In Lake Tahoe for 10 days for mountain biking. Driving up to ~9,000 feet and 90F+ temps and all seems to do well. Power drops a bit, esp. when not on boost, but obviously holds on vastly better than a N/A power plant.

Ran over a goddamned pick axe on the freeway so had to scramble to get new tires - found 'em in Reno, but cost me a day of riding to get it all sorted. The factory sucky-ish Michelins were 90% cooked anyway, so upgraded a bit to Michelin something or other grand touring.

Still needs more power however esp. at the price point. APR is still MIA, and it's more than disappointing.

One thing I have noticed to my dismay is that my car sometimes hesitates when I am getting on the highway and hit the accelerator.  It doesn't hesitate for long, but it's still disconcerting.  Ron's wife had the same complaint about her Audi.  I don't understand that in a performance car.

Soup DeVille

A Pick axe?

Were you following Yukon Cornelius?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on August 25, 2022, 06:08:58 PM
One thing I have noticed to my dismay is that my car sometimes hesitates when I am getting on the highway and hit the accelerator.  It doesn't hesitate for long, but it's still disconcerting.  Ron's wife had the same complaint about her Audi.  I don't understand that in a performance car.

It had 42 gears and two clutches, all run by an algorithm that takes into account everything from the temperature to what donuts are on display at the nearest Tim Horton's. Sometimes when you press the torque request interface switch, it has to mull things over for a bit.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 25, 2022, 09:01:24 PM
It had 42 gears and two clutches, all run by an algorithm that takes into account everything from the temperature to what donuts are on display at the nearest Tim Horton's. Sometimes when you press the torque request interface switch, it has to mull things over for a bit.

This is actually fairly accurate.

Laconian

The improbability drive takes a while to resolve.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on August 25, 2022, 06:08:58 PM

I'm in Lake Tahoe currently for mountain biking, which means driving at 5,000 - 9,000 feet at temps into the 90s, and my car has stumbled a few times here when getting on it - both from a standstill and when already under way - it's mos def the engine and not transmission.

Turbos have huge compromises to make WRT engine safety and emissions, and thin air and high temps only makes it more so. It hasn't happened at home however.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 26, 2022, 05:10:18 AM
This is actually fairly accurate.

We have normality.

Any problems with your current reality are now yours to sort out.