Ford Maverick

Started by Payman, June 08, 2021, 10:24:43 AM

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 10, 2021, 02:04:51 AM
I haven't watched his stuff all the way through before, as he was doing the Doug Score I was kinda shocked he was going so low but then even more shocked how high the Maverick scored. :lol:

His scale is absolute, not adjusted by vehicle type.  A Miata or Boxster is scored on the same handling or fun to drive scale as a Transit van.  Ergo, non-performance vehicles get really low scores.  For a "normal" vehicle, anything over 40 is pretty good.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 10, 2021, 07:57:13 AM
You should go watch the video that Gotta-Qik-C7 posted. The Maverick is NOT upscale, even with the upper trim packages. It's literally the cheapest vehicle Ford will be selling anymore, and I'm totally :wub: loving that they emphasized functionality over anything poseur. It's NOT pretending to be more expensive than it is! I'm totally down with that. My wife is too!

Your wife would have to be happy with an "economy" truck.  :ohyeah:

I would be fine with an economy truck. It would be upscale compared to my Jeep. All I need to haul is trash, lumber, and appliances.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Galaxy

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C7 on November 09, 2021, 09:04:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocHFC03Wmbw

I think he hit the nail on the head, with his "cheap but cheerful" comment. Ford managed to avoid the grey plastic landscape on this vehicle. I also think that exposed wiring under the hood, on a vehicle this cheap is perfectly fine. On a Ford Bronco not so much.

Overall the value of this thing is impressive.

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 10, 2021, 08:12:38 AM
That's exactly what I want, although I do prefer if the seats are comfortable.

The reported high wind, road, tire noise might annoy you though.

Laconian

That was hammier than usual. It's like Doug is doing an impersonation of Doug DeMuro.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on November 10, 2021, 12:19:54 PM

The reported high wind, road, tire noise might annoy you though.
My hearing isn't what it used to be, so it might be okay.  As well, it might drown out my wife giving me instructions on my driving.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 10, 2021, 12:39:56 PM
My hearing isn't what it used to be, so it might be okay.  As well, it might drown out my wife giving me instructions on my driving.

:)

Since I have a big highway cruiser, Maverick will be commuter car for me. The upper trim has a quieter windshield? Thicker?
Will

AutobahnSHO

My main reason for getting one is practicality. On the Maverick forum asked why people are waiting for hybrids instead of getting the "better" (because it can tow more) turbo.

One guy replied: "Fuel economy is certainly on my radar with the hybrid also. Assuming that I were to get the combined MPG on average, and drove the Maverick 100,000 miles, the savings in fuel would be:
100,000 @ 37 mpg = 2,702 gallons
100,000 @ 23 mpg = 4,347 gallons
Difference of 1,645 gallons.

At current gas prices of about $3.50 a gallon where I live thats a savings of $5,757 over the first 100,000.

That doesn't include the price difference of the hybrid using regular 87 octane and the ecoboost needing the more expensive 91 octane fuel, or the fact that the worse gas prices get the more I'll save in the long run."
Will

veeman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 10, 2021, 08:38:14 PM
:)

Since I have a big highway cruiser, Maverick will be commuter car for me. The upper trim has a quieter windshield? Thicker?

Probably better windshield sealing my guess. I've never heard of different windshield thickness on the same model/year car based on model trim.  Unless you get a factory bulletproof glass option available on a few high end German luxury cars.  I'm just guessing though.  I'm pretty sure my prior base Crosstrek had wimpier/less windshield sealing compared with the upper level trim. 

Speed_Racer

Quote from: veeman on November 11, 2021, 07:52:32 AM
Probably better windshield sealing my guess. I've never heard of different windshield thickness on the same model/year car based on model trim.  Unless you get a factory bulletproof glass option available on a few high end German luxury cars.  I'm just guessing though.  I'm pretty sure my prior base Crosstrek had wimpier/less windshield sealing compared with the upper level trim. 

My Lariat has an acoustic insulating windshield (and side glass maybe?) called Soundscreen that wasn't available on lower trims. For reduced road and wind noise. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same for the Maverick.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Speed_Racer on November 11, 2021, 10:37:40 AM
My Lariat has an acoustic insulating windshield (and side glass maybe?) called Soundscreen that wasn't available on lower trims. For reduced road and wind noise. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same for the Maverick.

It's part of the Maverick luxury package or Lariat package, I forget which.
Will

veeman

Quote from: Speed_Racer on November 11, 2021, 10:37:40 AM

Cool.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/soundproofguide.com/what-is-an-acoustic-windshield/amp/

Eye of the Tiger

I had SoundScreen in my Fiesta.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

https://fordauthority.com/2021/11/2022-ford-maverick-is-taking-just-five-days-to-turn/

Not surprised the Maverick is selling fast, a bit surprised it's seeking better than other hot vehicles.
Will

AutobahnSHO

So I had a very boring video about the eCVT, most of it is breaking down the assembly and different versions.
Good part about how it actually works is about 20:38:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHU5xFOBcsU

This basic transmission design is used by Toyota in the 2016+ Prius, Ford Escape hybrid since 2006ish and Fusion hybrid, and the Chrysler Pacifica.

No goofy CVT stuff at all- it's just a bunch of gears connecting the two electric motors, ICE motor, and oil pump (for the ICE? or for the eCVT?) together.  I don't totally get how planetary gears etc... work but when one of the 3 motors doesn't produce output it doesn't push the gears pushing the drivewheels. Kind of like a differential "slips". So there likely isn't even a clutch for the ICE?
(see 20:38 in the video)

The third generation of the transmission is very similar to the original more than 15 years ago!!!  So it's a pretty solid design. That's actually very comforting as I was a little bit scared of the "new" technology but apparently don't need to worry about it.

ALSO note the little electric has permanent magnets in it, and acts as the main battery charger as well as starter battery charger, and also actually starts the engine from the starter battery. :confused:
Will

Laconian

There was a hands-on Flash animation which demonstrated how the Power Split Device worked, but Flash doesn't work in modern browsers anymore :cry: http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

The Power Split Device is an absolute tour de force of engineering. In that Mirai video, the presenter mentioned that the engineers at Toyota go above and beyond for the projects that have caught Akio Toyoda's eye. You can really tell that the Prius benefited from that level of split polish. It's an extremely efficient design, having the gears permanently meshed with no clutches or slippage whatsoever.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Yeah, the engineering is amazing!

Still waiting for a build date for ours. I guess since we ordered too much stuff we're at the back of the line. But we got the OEM spray-in bed liner, they changed it to drop-in a bit later. Supposedly they're not taking new orders until next spring or summer.
Will

AutobahnSHO

This is fun- carrying 200lbs over max payload down a 'mountain' dirt road on stock hybrid setup and tires.

https://youtu.be/_cxGdlL-0OI
Will