Blue or Grey? Model 3

Started by NomisR, July 01, 2021, 03:41:18 PM

NomisR

Since my delivery date for my Model 3 is still 3 months away, I can still change my mind.  I wanted the Blue, but honestly, it's not the blue I wanted, in the dark, I don't like it so much, but it looks good in the bright lights..  My wife said I should get grey, I really have no opinion on it, I don't hate it, it's just a non-white color that I don't mind..  I'm planning on doing some mod so here's pictures with the front end..

I can't find a good picture of the blue unfortunately, what do you guys think?

CaminoRacer

Does the grey have a normal clear coat or a matte one? Gloss clear is much easier to take care of.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 01, 2021, 03:43:37 PM
Does the grey have a normal clear coat or a matte one? Gloss clear is much easier to take care of.

It's supposed to be a metalic gray

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

I think I'd do the blue. I like the red the most, but it's probably not worth an additional $1k.

Laconian

I followed a brand new blue Model 3 home and thought of you. It's a really good looking color.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

Quote from: NomisR on July 01, 2021, 03:41:18 PM
Since my delivery date for my Model 3 is still 3 months away, I can still change my mind.  I wanted the Blue, but honestly, it's not the blue I wanted, in the dark, I don't like it so much, but it looks good in the bright lights..  My wife said I should get grey, I really have no opinion on it, I don't hate it, it's just a non-white color that I don't mind..  I'm planning on doing some mod so here's pictures with the front end..

I can't find a good picture of the blue unfortunately, what do you guys think?
Go with the gray.

How's it going up there in LA, man? I listen to KFI a bunch trying to keep up.  ;)

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

veeman

You said you were neutral on grey (pun intended) and didn't like the blue when it was dark.  This tells me you are very particular about which shade of blue looks good and you don't really like this shade. So given that, I would get the grey. 

I like the grey. 

Soup DeVille

Ok. Stop. Find a parking lot and look at it- 80% of the cars out there are some version of grey.
It doesn't matter how good the grey looks in a picture- on the road it will look like every other car out there. Teslas are already somewhat bland in the styling department, they don't need to blend in any more than they do.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SJ_GTI

I have generally preferred blue cars...I just think the colors looks good without being ostentatious. That being said I generally prefer lighter/brighter blues. I am actually not really a fan of the blue on my current car since it is a darker shade. The tesla you posted looks similar in shade to my current car.

I actually think grey can look good on cars. It is a subtle color but with certain shapes and in particular shades it can be flattering. I also think it looks better with black accents than most primary colors.

FoMoJo

Is the Midnight Blue Metallic an extra charge?  It looks good.

I thought you had mentioned that in another thread.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

NomisR

Quote from: shp4man on July 01, 2021, 08:52:44 PM
Go with the gray.

How's it going up there in LA, man? I listen to KFI a bunch trying to keep up.  ;)

I'm still working from home so I don't really know.. I think I've gone into the office once since last June, it's been nice :lol:
Quote from: veeman on July 01, 2021, 10:25:17 PM
You said you were neutral on grey (pun intended) and didn't like the blue when it was dark.  This tells me you are very particular about which shade of blue looks good and you don't really like this shade. So given that, I would get the grey. 

I like the grey. 
Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 02, 2021, 06:23:32 AM
I have generally preferred blue cars...I just think the colors looks good without being ostentatious. That being said I generally prefer lighter/brighter blues. I am actually not really a fan of the blue on my current car since it is a darker shade. The tesla you posted looks similar in shade to my current car.

I actually think grey can look good on cars. It is a subtle color but with certain shapes and in particular shades it can be flattering. I also think it looks better with black accents than most primary colors.

I like the lighter blues myself like with my old Rx8.. this color for me might get old simply because it's a darker hue.  I didn't like it when i see it on the Model S which is why it's giving me a pause. 

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 02, 2021, 07:30:32 AM
Is the Midnight Blue Metallic an extra charge?  It looks good.

I thought you had mentioned that in another thread.

Both colors are $1000 more.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 02, 2021, 05:54:07 AM
Ok. Stop. Find a parking lot and look at it- 80% of the cars out there are some version of grey.
It doesn't matter how good the grey looks in a picture- on the road it will look like every other car out there. Teslas are already somewhat bland in the styling department, they don't need to blend in any more than they do.

I'm looking to mod the car hence the front end, but I guess most people can't tell the difference between the stock front end and the aftermarket...  here's another gray with the wheels.. i think the original picture i posted might not be the right color.  There wouldn't be any chrome accents on mine though, it'll be all black instead for the 2021 cars.
[/url]

FoMoJo

That looks good, almost a graphite.  Really like the chrome black wheels.

Lebowski

Blue.  The Gray looks like a vacuum or something. 

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 02, 2021, 10:15:08 AM
That looks good, almost a graphite.  Really like the chrome black wheels.

Agree, that color looks A LOT better than the one in the initial post.

Submariner

Quote from: Lebowski on July 02, 2021, 10:31:32 AM
Blue.  The Gray looks like a vacuum or something. 

I have a vacuum painted a similar shade of blue.

Lebowski

Quote from: Submariner on July 02, 2021, 02:53:52 PM
I have a vacuum painted a similar shade of blue.

Because it looks like a Tesla. 

GoCougs

Blue without question. From say 20 feet it's a very sharp looking car. However, the blue, like black, shows paint problems, which are manifold with Tesla vehicles (orange peel).

The gray is actually a dark silver, and with the black turbine wheels, looks pretty dour.

Now that I have a white car, I'd go with the white. Looks sharp with the black wheels and will hide to a great extent paint problems.

Submariner

Tesla paint definitely leaves a lot to be desired. 

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: Submariner on July 02, 2021, 08:29:06 PM
Tesla paint definitely leaves a lot to be desired. 
Tesla is apparently the first to agree. The new factories Austin & Berlin will offer better quality & more colors supposedly.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

NomisR

What about Red? 

These aren't the standard front end by the way if you can't tell, it's a aftermarket bumper that I plan on getting..

This is the grey version

CaminoRacer

Red is the best but I don't know if it's worth an extra $1k

FoMoJo

Quote from: NomisR on July 22, 2021, 02:53:21 PM
What about Red? 

These aren't the standard front end by the way if you can't tell, it's a aftermarket bumper that I plan on getting..

Red is always good.  The darker, the better.

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 22, 2021, 03:18:10 PM
Red is the best but I don't know if it's worth an extra $1k

Yeah, that's the thing.. the more I see it.. I'm actually starting to like it. 

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 22, 2021, 04:10:02 PM
Red is always good.  The darker, the better.

I've never really been into dark colors, the last 2 cars are really an anomaly for me.  I like brighter colors but dark colors seems to be better for avoiding cops though.

SJ_GTI

I like the grey, but then I generally don't like red so I guess take that with a grain of salt.