Saggy Butt

Started by veeman, August 28, 2021, 10:09:02 AM

GoCougs

Sounds about the least painful that you could expect, and really, not related to the system itself. Impressive, really. I too would've just paid to get it fixed. 

veeman

Quote from: GoCougs on September 05, 2021, 03:40:17 PM
Sounds about the least painful that you could expect, and really, not related to the system itself. Impressive, really. I too would've just paid to get it fixed. 

Yeah thanks I got lucky i think.  Winter salt road driven car's lifespan seems to be mostly dictated by rust.

Submariner

I think undercoatings are a good investment if you plan on keeping your rust belt car for a while.  NH Oil, Woolwax, Fluid Film aren't that expensive and do a pretty good job of keeping the rust at bay.

Alternatively, get an chassis attachment for a pressure washer and clean the underside with a mix of dish soap and "Salt Away" which neutralizes and removes road salt.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

veeman

Welp, the ass on the Infiniti QX80 is low again. 

Periodically searching for certified replacement same model newer year cars on Autotrader.  Haven't bitten because pricing isn't so attractive.  May need to drive my current saggy butt car through the winter.  Everything else works fine.  Is it inherently dangerous to drive the car because it's air suspension is non-functional?  I don't offroad.

Soup DeVille

Other than having your headlights pointing up and some extra wear on the ball joints, nothing too bad will happen.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 16, 2021, 07:59:07 AM
Other than having your headlights pointing up and some extra wear on the ball joints, nothing too bad will happen.

Thanks!!  This is what I needed to hear.  My wife doesn't even notice it.  Headlights pointing fine.  My wife also put a hole in the front passenger bumper by hitting a big rock as she was pulling out of someone's driveway.  $1500 to fix was the estimate so I put some silver colored duct tape on it (Alabama Chrome baby) and it looks fine. 

Submariner

Didn't you just replace the suspension?  Was it just the pump or did you get the lines and bags replaced too?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

veeman

Quote from: Submariner on November 16, 2021, 08:19:51 AM
Didn't you just replace the suspension?  Was it just the pump or did you get the lines and bags replaced too?

I did.  2 and a half months ago.  The compressor had partially rusted off the bracket.  $1250 fix.  I had a gut feeling this wasn't going to be a long term fix because there's a lot of rust underneath there.  I don't know what's wrong now.  I don't feel like going back to the dealership though and having them take a look at it again.  The diagnostic isn't cheap and whatever it is, I don't want to throw more money at it.  Especially with the new cosmetic damage to the front of the car, it's worth much less now as a trade in. 

I can get what I want (2018 or newer same model car, certain colors, uplevel options, < 30 thousand miles on the odometer) within 100 miles of me for about $60 thousand dollars.  New is around $80 thousand.  A year or so ago I could get it for low to mid $50 thousand dollars.  My wife and I test drove a bunch of competitors.  Navigator is freaking awesome but significantly more.  Escalades are stupidly priced.  Mercedes GLS is expensive, doesn't do anything for me looks wise (plain jane), doesn't even come standard with a tow hitch (wtf), extended maunfacturer warranty options suck.  Audi Q7 is significantly smaller and extended manufacturer warranty options similarly suck.  If it was up to me entirely, I'd get a new Hyundai Palisade which comes standard with a great manufacturer warranty and feels and looks like a premium car but my wife want's luxury car branding. Genesis is too small (3rd row) but I may have my wife test drive it anyways.  Everything else about it is awesome.   

The Infiniti QX80 is ancient, has literally almost two decade old tech, and is a premium fuel hog.  But all SUVs in this class are fuel hogs so a few miles a gallon doesn't make any difference.  And my wife and I don't require new tech.  The interior is a very nice place to be, it's quiet, it's easy to park, and it's heft is gratifying to pilot especially on long distance interstate highway travel.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

The saggy butt has now corrected itself, for now.  Weird, it's an intermittent thing. 

Anyways I've been scouring the Autotrader ads for a replacement.  It's happened now twice where I see something I like, make an appointment at the dealership for the next day to take a look at it, and then find out the next morning prior to the appointment that the car was just sold.  Crazy man.   

r0tor

Sounds like it's a ride height position sensor then if it's intermittent
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: veeman on December 06, 2021, 09:44:52 AM
The saggy butt has now corrected itself, for now.  Weird, it's an intermittent thing. 

Anyways I've been scouring the Autotrader ads for a replacement.  It's happened now twice where I see something I like, make an appointment at the dealership for the next day to take a look at it, and then find out the next morning prior to the appointment that the car was just sold.  Crazy man.   

The used car market is like the housing market.  Gotta buy sight unseen and hope it's as advertised.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Could be a lot of things- bad ground on something somewhere is a good bet.  Finding it is another story.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Quote from: r0tor on December 06, 2021, 11:54:30 AM
Sounds like it's a ride height position sensor then if it's intermittent

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 07, 2021, 06:46:49 AM
Could be a lot of things- bad ground on something somewhere is a good bet.  Finding it is another story.

Yeah, thanks for the comments.  Over the Thanksgiving Holiday I drove it with the family 8 hrs back and forth interstate to my parents' house and it didn't sag.  Car still drives really good and the interior switch gear still looks and feels like new.  My prior Buick Enclave, by the time I got rid of it at 110 thousand miles, a lot of the markings on the knobs on the dashboard were rubbing off.  This car at 147 thousand miles still looks almost new inside the cabin.  Just well put together. 

veeman

Quote from: MX793 on December 07, 2021, 06:36:00 AM
The used car market is like the housing market.  Gotta buy sight unseen and hope it's as advertised.

Carvana has good prices but their warranty is different than that of a "certified" car from a brick and mortar dealership where I can also buy a manufacturer sponsored extended warranty.  Carvana has their own extended warranties but I'm very weary of non-manufacturer sponsored warranties.  Because I don't need another car right now (current Infiniti still drives OK), I'm limiting my Autotrader search to within 50 miles of where I live.

Carmax seems to have a lot less pickings compared with Carvana.  Maybe that's just for the particular car I want though. 

I don't think I'll buy unseen but I can't be waiting for the next day anymore.  If something tasty comes along, just drive there and put down a deposit if it's late in the day.     

CaminoRacer

With Carmax you can reserve the car online and then have a couple of days to go check it out. But if they don't have inventory you're interested in, that doesn't help much. :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 07, 2021, 09:56:45 AM
With Carmax you can reserve the car online and then have a couple of days to go check it out. But if they don't have inventory you're interested in, that doesn't help much. :lol:

Yeah thanks. I'm mostly concerned with the lack of a manufacturer sponsored extended warranty which you can get when buying a "certified car" from a brick and mortar dealership.  I spent a lot of money (4 grand I think) on one when I had bought my current Infiniti.  It was a 2013 model and was a few years old with 20 something thousand miles on the odometer.  The extended warranty covered a lot of stuff for a lot more years and mileage.  I used it a few times and it was nice to know I wouldn't be raped on repairs (outside of autobody) during the next several years.  Just oil changes and wear and tear stuff (like brakes, spark plugs, and fluid changes.). That's one of the main things keeping me from getting a Mercedes GLS.  Their manufacturer certified extended warranty options suck hard. 

Anyways when stuff broke, I never experienced any nonsense from the dealership.  If it was covered, there was no pushback whatsoever.  It was always them telling me, "this is covered by your extended certified car warranty" without me asking if it was.  I don't want to deal with a third party (like Carvana or Carmax sponsored) warranty.  I want a manufacturer sponsored extended warranty.  I don't want to make any phone calls, deal with any bullshit, etc.  I don't want to submit documentation etc. 

MX793

Quote from: veeman on December 07, 2021, 10:09:10 AM
Yeah thanks. I'm mostly concerned with the lack of a manufacturer sponsored extended warranty which you can get when buying a "certified car" from a brick and mortar dealership.  I spent a lot of money (4 grand I think) on one when I had bought my current Infiniti.  It was a 2013 model and was a few years old with 20 something thousand miles on the odometer.  The extended warranty covered a lot of stuff for a lot more years and mileage.  I used it a few times and it was nice to know I wouldn't be raped on repairs (outside of autobody) during the next several years.  Just oil changes and wear and tear stuff (like brakes, spark plugs, and fluid changes.). That's one of the main things keeping me from getting a Mercedes GLS.  Their manufacturer certified extended warranty options suck hard. 

Anyways when stuff broke, I never experienced any nonsense from the dealership.  If it was covered, there was no pushback whatsoever.  It was always them telling me, "this is covered by your extended certified car warranty" without me asking if it was.  I don't want to deal with a third party (like Carvana or Carmax sponsored) warranty.  I want a manufacturer sponsored extended warranty.  I don't want to make any phone calls, deal with any bullshit, etc.  I don't want to submit documentation etc. 

How much stuff broke and how much would it have cost without the extended warranty?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on December 07, 2021, 10:09:10 AM

Clearly, you've never been a GM customer...

veeman

Quote from: MX793 on December 07, 2021, 11:49:58 AM
How much stuff broke and how much would it have cost without the extended warranty?

I throw away all my service records so I don't remember exactly.  Off the top of my head: rear wheel bearing, low range 4WD (an expensive fix if I remember), catalytic converter (probably fixed for free without extended warranty), and something leaking under the engine bay (twice, same problem).  I know this doesn't tell you anything but whatever it was, it was fixed and I got a free loaner Infiniti, and I didn't have to fight for anything.  Stress free experience.  The car has been reliable.  I'm not sure if I recouped the $4 thousand dollar investment in the extended warranty but I never worried about a potential (oh shit, this is a $5 thousand dollar fix) which is not uncommon with high mileage luxury make SUVs. 

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 07, 2021, 11:54:51 AM
Clearly, you've never been a GM customer...

GM is known for screwing people on stuff that a manufacturer sponsored warranty should cover?  I never experienced that with my Infiniti. 

My Dad only buys GM, Ford, or Chrysler/Dodge to this day (living in Ann Arbor during the 1960s I guess does that to you).  We had a '71 Chevy Nova, an '84 Chevy Celebrity, an '87 Buick Regal, and since I left home he's gotten a few other Chevys (Malibu and Equinox).  I loved my Buick Enclave (especially it's shiny chrome) and it was a great price.  But yeah I don't think they're built to go 200,000 miles.  I think the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburbans and Silverado's are built to last but GM's large body on frame SUVs are stupidly priced IMHO.  Plus their third row has always had your knees up to your chest except for this latest generation. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on December 07, 2021, 12:45:17 PM
GM is known for screwing people on stuff that a manufacturer sponsored warranty should cover?  I never experienced that with my Infiniti. 

My Dad only buys GM, Ford, or Chrysler/Dodge to this day (living in Ann Arbor during the 1960s I guess does that to you).  We had a '71 Chevy Nova, an '84 Chevy Celebrity, an '87 Buick Regal, and since I left home he's gotten a few other Chevys (Malibu and Equinox).  I loved my Buick Enclave (especially it's shiny chrome) and it was a great price.  But yeah I don't think they're built to go 200,000 miles.  I think the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburbans and Silverado's are built to last but GM's large body on frame SUVs are stupidly priced IMHO.  Plus their third row has always had your knees up to your chest except for this latest generation. 

Every single GM car my mother and wife ever owned had something go bad that "should have been replaced under warranty but wasn't" for any number of reasons, and the times when the warranty did cover things, they acted like they were doing you a favor.

Soup DeVille

There's also a reason why I, having worked in or connected to the automotive industry in the Detroit area most of my life, bought a Toyota.

Let's just say there's nobody walking around at Toyota with a copy of "The Stellantis/FCA/Cerberus/DaimlerChrysler Production System" on their bookshelf.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 07, 2021, 01:07:36 PM
There's also a reason why I, having worked in or connected to the automotive industry in the Detroit area most of my life, bought a Toyota.

Let's just say there's nobody walking around at Toyota with a copy of "The Stellantis/FCA/Cerberus/DaimlerChrysler Production System" on their bookshelf.

Wasn't there some story about Toyota buying and tearing apart a Neon and being impressed by how Chrysler had managed to engineer something that could be so cheaply manufactured?
Needs more Jiggawatts

veeman

Quote from: MX793 on December 07, 2021, 11:49:58 AM

Oh I also remember one more thing.  This really stood out.  My battery died and for some reason I had trouble jumping it with my other car.  I'm usually always able to jump a dead battery but this one wouldn't jump.  So I called a local Infiniti dealership I didn't buy the car from (the dealership I bought the car from was over an hour's drive away).  I asked them if I could call a tow truck to bring the car to them.  They said that since I had my extended Infiniti warranty, just call the number and Infiniti arranges the towing to them and it's free.  That was cool. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on December 07, 2021, 01:11:41 PM
Wasn't there some story about Toyota buying and tearing apart a Neon and being impressed by how Chrysler had managed to engineer something that could be so cheaply manufactured?

Probably. There are many similar stories to that. I don't necessarily believe all of them, but what I am involved in quite frequently is bidding for supplier contracts. All manufacturers have standards you have to meet to make parts for them. Toyota's are quite frankly a step above everybody else's. Sometimes its in things that don't even seem to matter, but they're unwavering on suppliers meeting them.

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 07, 2021, 01:04:42 PM
Every single GM car my mother and wife ever owned had something go bad that "should have been replaced under warranty but wasn't" for any number of reasons, and the times when the warranty did cover things, they acted like they were doing you a favor.

I also trust Toyota most after working with nearly every OEM in some capacity.  They're so much more thorough in their validation, testing, and overall approach.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

If a Prius had a manual transmission option, I would daily drive that car as my back and forth to work car.   Bullet proof engineering, incredible efficiency, great price. I like the newest generation weird styling too. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on December 07, 2021, 02:14:43 PM
If a Prius had a manual transmission option, I would daily drive that car as my back and forth to work car.   Bullet proof engineering, incredible efficiency, great price. I like the newest generation weird styling too.

Can't have that. Half of the brilliance of the Prius is the E-CVT. The other half is some kind of marketing shit.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 07, 2021, 01:38:54 PM
Probably. There are many similar stories to that. I don't necessarily believe all of them, but what I am involved in quite frequently is bidding for supplier contracts. All manufacturers have standards you have to meet to make parts for them. Toyota's are quite frankly a step above everybody else's. Sometimes its in things that don't even seem to matter, but they're unwavering on suppliers meeting them.

I've heard from people who work for companies that supply parts to the auto industry that Chrysler's acceptance standards are some of the most lax.  More willing to accept stuff with minor defects.
Needs more Jiggawatts