New Car in the Garage

Started by MrH, October 08, 2021, 12:06:27 PM

MrH

Girlfriend has been talking about getting a new car for like the last year.  She has a 2012 Ford Focus, which has had the PowerShit transmission issues non-stop.  The warranty on it expired, and it's lurching again.  We finally pulled the trigger on something last night.

It's a 2019 Acura RDX.  Only 13k miles, CPO, Advance trim with SH-AWD.  She was all set to get a new Mazda CX-5.  This was a much, much nicer car for not a substantial amount more.  It has the 2.0T and 10-speed that I loved in the Accord, but a much nicer everything else.

Previous owner had clipped something with the side mirror though .  The dealership is replacing it, but it's still on order.

This car market SUCKS right now.  I'm just glad this is over.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

Congrats! Looks sharp in black.  :cheers:

I remember the days when Acura SH-AWD was all the rage on the Car and Driver Forums. Pages upon pages of discussions about how it's not a true AWD system or something like that. Ah, memories.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

IIRC the great thing about SH-AWD is that you can give it gas and it will actively vector your momentum along the right path, is that right?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Yeah.  SH-AWD was wild when it first came out.  There were very few doing AWD like that.  It still is kind of rare.  It's clutch based, and can actively put up to 70% to the outside rear wheel I think?  In "Sport+" mode, the thing handles and moves in ways a crossover shouldn't.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Congratulations!  The first gen was a hoot to drive (my in-laws had one).  The second generation they watered it down a bit for a softer ride.  The newest 3rd gen looks a lot better than the ones before it. 

MrH

My parents just got rid of their 2nd gen RDX last week, oddly enough.  They don't really need 2 cars, and it was having some transmission problems so they just dumped it for top dollar to Carmax.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Lebowski

Nice choice. I agree it's much nicer than a CX-5.

GoCougs

Nice. Love Hondas. Acura has been struggle the last while (the new TLX Type S is abysmal) but at least they got the new RDX right.

Rich

The 1st gen RDX was one of the few crossovers that I sat in that just get right.  Should be a fun drive for you guys.

Since you have an RDX will you ditch the outback for a BRZ?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Well, I think I'll probably drive this more than her :lol:  she basically only drives to work by herself, otherwise I'm driving. It's a nice car. Infotainment controller is kind of a dumb, positional touch pad thing. Better than a touch screen I guess, but I would prefer an idrive style controller.

Quote from: Rich on October 08, 2021, 04:41:32 PM
The 1st gen RDX was one of the few crossovers that I sat in that just get right.  Should be a fun drive for you guys.

Since you have an RDX will you ditch the outback for a BRZ?

Close. Likely selling the S2000 for nearly what a new brz costs. If I can do that, I'll get a new brz to replace it. Outback is staying for now. Nothing really compelling to replace it as a daily for me. If the EV tax credit explodes like the Dems are pushing for, might replace it with a Ford Lightning :lol:  no other EV is all that interesting at the l<$45k mark. Having the RDX around for road trips does open up the possibility of an EV though
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CALL_911

Oh hell yeah. New RDX is great, I hope SH-AWD is as legit as it was the first go.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi