I bought a 4Runner

Started by Soup DeVille, October 23, 2021, 04:04:22 PM

Lebowski

My understanding is it's on the same platform, though most doubt that it'll get the same engine.  That said, with the land cruiser discontinued in NA as a Toyota, that gives them some room to move the 4Runner upmarket a bit IMO.

NomisR

Quote from: Lebowski on November 05, 2021, 09:29:11 AM
My understanding is it's on the same platform, though most doubt that it'll get the same engine.  That said, with the land cruiser discontinued in NA as a Toyota, that gives them some room to move the 4Runner upmarket a bit IMO.

Isn't Sequoia the more Land Cruiser/LX North America equivalent for Toyota whereas the 4Runner is the Land Cruiser Prado/GX NA equivalent?  It wouldn't make a lot of sense since the GX and 4Runner are already close enough in price, to make it more expensive would cannibalize each other's sales.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on November 05, 2021, 10:06:18 AM
Isn't Sequoia the more Land Cruiser/LX North America equivalent for Toyota whereas the 4Runner is the Land Cruiser Prado/GX NA equivalent?  It wouldn't make a lot of sense since the GX and 4Runner are already close enough in price, to make it more expensive would cannibalize each other's sales.

The LX was the Land Cruiser Amazon, and the GX is the Land Cruiser Prado. The Sequoia is NA only and is based on the Tundra pickup platform; less expensive but larger than the Land Cruiser.

The big difference is the Sequoia is a much better tow vehicle.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 05, 2021, 10:13:18 AM
The LX was the Land Cruiser Amazon, and the GX is the Land Cruiser Prado. The Sequoia is NA only and is based on the Tundra pickup platform; less expensive but larger than the Land Cruiser.

The big difference is the Sequoia is a much better tow vehicle.

Yeah, but i mean they basically fit in the same category more or less.  Sequoia is definitely more "Merican"..

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on November 05, 2021, 10:18:53 AM
Yeah, but i mean they basically fit in the same category more or less.  Sequoia is definitely more "Merican"..

Definitely- As far as I know only sold in NA, and for the most part, well adapted to what buyers said they wanted in a large SUV.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lebowski

Quote from: NomisR on November 05, 2021, 10:06:18 AM

The Sequoia is a different market I think, more akin to a Suburban ... more passenger space and towing etc.  The third row in both the 4runner and LC is more for occasional use (my 4runner has no third row, and I wouldn't want one in an SUV in this size range). 

As for cannibalizing the GX, I think there's a subset of people who want the Lexus/luxury badge, and aren't going to buy a mainstreamer brand.  GX is ancient, too.

Soup DeVille

The third row in the LC was as usable as any other 3rd row seat I've seen in anything smaller than a Suburban. 4Runner 3rd rows are. damned tight. (Mine does not have one)

Lebowski

Interesting, I haven't sat in one but for some reason thought it was tight. My main beef with the LC third row is the way they fold up to the side, and are not (easily) removable.

MrH

Mine had one. :lol:  It was the smallest third row I've ever seen in a vehicle (not counting Model Y).
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lebowski on November 05, 2021, 12:34:47 PM
Interesting, I haven't sat in one but for some reason thought it was tight. My main beef with the LC third row is the way they fold up to the side, and are not (easily) removable.

They're easy enough to remove; but folded up they never stayed "tight." The tie-down straps they came with were hokey.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 05, 2021, 12:11:37 PM
The third row in the LC was as usable as any other 3rd row seat I've seen in anything smaller than a Suburban. 4Runner 3rd rows are. damned tight. (Mine does not have one)

Makes me wonder how tight the 3rd row in older RAV4s was.  They aren't large vehicles.  Mine has a nice covered storage well where the 3rd row would have been if so equipped.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on November 05, 2021, 12:34:53 PM
Mine had one. :lol:  It was the smallest third row I've ever seen in a vehicle (not counting Model Y).

It's smaller than the Defender's?  Because that one was damn small.