Classic Car EV conversions.

Started by Soup DeVille, November 12, 2021, 08:04:30 PM

Soup DeVille

This has come up in conversation more than once; but what classics would benefit from EV conversion? I'm pretty sure we can all agree that some should never be; but what could work?

IMO, the Delorean would be a great candidate for EV conversion. Lots of people love the car; nobody loves the motor or the performance- and with the Sci-Fi aspects of being featured in That Movie, I think an electric Delorean could be awesome.

Another possibility would be the classic VW bus; another vehicle where the original motivation is more or less tolerated instead of loved.

Any others?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

I think that the little British sports cars would benefit from electrification. Even with a modest electric motor they would still run rings around their originals, with much less smell. I've always found MGB, Sprite, etc. to be charmingly packaged but VERY underwhelming in the motor department.

Eye of the Tiger

VW was my first thought
Anything choked by late 70s emissions garbage
Mustang II, Pinto, any 4 cylinder fox body
Cadillac Cimarron
Chevette
Any 4 cylinder, automatic Fiero
Any diesel Chevette or Oldsmobile
Any Corvair without a turbo

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Fiero! Elevate it from the GM partsbin.

shp4man

Anything made after 1970. Have fun!  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

the real question is, where do you put the batteries?
Older cars with lots of examples would be the best, to design the most efficient battery pack placement.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on November 12, 2021, 08:10:19 PM
I think that the little British sports cars would benefit from electrification. Even with a modest electric motor they would still run rings around their originals, with much less smell. I've always found MGB, Sprite, etc. to be charmingly packaged but VERY underwhelming in the motor department.
The amateurs, those hopeless arrogant snobs that ran the big British companies (BMC, Standard-Triumph, & Rootes) used wheezy old engines with pre-WWII roots - they never invested in anything new. So they drowned.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 13, 2021, 04:58:11 AM
The amateurs, those hopeless arrogant snobs that ran the big British companies (BMC, Standard-Triumph, & Rootes) used wheezy old engines with pre-WWII roots - they never invested in anything new. So they drowned.
There were exceptions, of course, the Kent, the XK, anything breathed on by Cosworth, etc.  However, the Mini, the Sprite, the MGA, MG Midget, etc. would make interesting choices for electric motors.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Citroën DS & CX: those engines were dogs.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 13, 2021, 12:13:44 AM
the real question is, where do you put the batteries?
Older cars with lots of examples would be the best, to design the most efficient battery pack placement.

How did steam locomotives carry extra fuel? Tow a trailer full of batteries.

FoMoJo

Considering these would be low usage, limited driving cars, there would likely be no need for excessive battery storage.  Something in the range of a couple of hundred miles or less would be adequate.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

No batteries. Solar panels. Does anyone make a vinyl wrap with solar cells in it?

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 13, 2021, 11:31:36 AM
No batteries. Solar panels. Does anyone make a vinyl wrap with solar cells in it?
Give the wrap a carbon fiber look, and it will be cool.

New Solar Vehicle Wrap That Powers Batteries will Debut at Smart Automotive Surfaces Show in Novi

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on November 12, 2021, 08:10:19 PM

As long as there are no Lucas electronics on the EV conversion :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

50/60s Cadillacs and Rivieras all seem to be great candidates for EV conversions. Great styling, great torque, but quiet and refined.

Lead sleds and customs would also still be very cool as EVs. Some of them have good exhaust rumble, but they're all about the custom bodywork and styling, less about the engines.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 13, 2021, 01:56:45 PM
50/60s Cadillacs and Rivieras all seem to be great candidates for EV conversions. Great styling, great torque, but quiet and refined.

Lead sleds and customs would also still be very cool as EVs. Some of them have good exhaust rumble, but they're all about the custom bodywork and styling, less about the engines.
ICON Derelict does that sort of thing.  I really like what they've done here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_oh92UjN6Y

...but I'd miss the flathead rumble.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

I like the idea of what the Icon Derelict people do. OT but just in general the fashion now seems to be light restomodding - keeping the car as original as possible but, at minimum, giving it modern suspension, brakes & tires. Just enough to make it drivable in current traffic.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 13, 2021, 04:58:11 AM
Another candidate for E power from the Morris factory...Remembering the 1956 Morris Oxford...funny story.

Not a bad looking car...

CaminoRacer

I wouldn't mind some Ford Model T and Model A EVs. Hot rodded ones are sweet, but stock style ones might be improved with an electric motor.

With these old classics, obviously I don't want all of them to be converted to EV. Gotta keep the originals around, to be able to see the engineering and technology of the time. I'd mostly like custom coachbuilt EVs with classic bodywork. Put them on a skateboard chassis if it works, but make exact steel replica bodywork. Has to be done well to avoid being lame, like Pinto-frame fiberglass '32 Fords. Brookville Roadsters make new steel body panels for '32s, using original factory molds and presses. That's the way to do it

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Morris Minor

I can see doing this when the original ICE engine always was, and always will be, a nasty lump.
But it's a crime to rip out a jewel of twin-cam goodness and put in an Electrolux washing machine motor.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 16, 2021, 06:28:25 AM
I can see doing this when the original ICE engine always was, and always will be, a nasty lump.
But it's a crime to rip out a jewel of twin-cam goodness and put in an Electrolux washing machine motor.
Agree.  Works of art should never be replaced.

The Alfa Romeo Twin Cam engine debuted in the 1954 Giulietta. The engine featured:

An aluminium alloy engine block with cast iron "wet" cylinder liners
An aluminium alloy cylinder head with hemispherical combustion chambers.
A forged steel crankshaft running in five main bearings
Double overhead camshafts driven by a double row timing chain
Direct valve actuation via camshafts on bucket tappets
Two inclined valves per cylinder with a near-centrally located spark plug
Inlet and exhaust valves separated by an angle of 80 degrees
A large, flat, finned oil sump.

The same applies to anything with an XK engine.

ChinaAdemo

For those you are interested theres a nice write up in the spring edition of Classic Car Mart about the Rover 220 Turbo that makes good reading.

Submariner

I love the Rover 220!  Thanks for sharing!!!
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

ChrisV

Really cool conversion, though the wheel choice is a little suspect...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MrH

Those are beautiful, but yeah, I agree.  Those wheels are awful.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV