Hyundai Motor shuts engine development unit

Started by CaminoRacer, December 28, 2021, 09:54:18 AM

Rich

Quote from: GoCougs on December 30, 2021, 01:41:39 PM
To what extent will Third World countries (literally 1/2 the planet) be harmed via stopping progress in ICE technology? Let's not forget all the additional mining and drilling and environmental damage to occur in those same countries to support EVs...

IOW, the EV creedo is "NIMBY."

I'm still optimistic however that EVs are DOA. 10 years on and nobody buys an EV that isn't a Tesla, and all indications are the trend will continue (i.e., by looking at Toyota and hybrids, now some 20 years on).

Afghanistain ain't gonna be buying any petrol DI variable geometry turbo engines with catalytic converters anytime soon.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 30, 2021, 08:07:06 PM
Kinda has to, batteries aren't gonna be $0/kwh or negative...

The govt. can make that happen. Govt. magic.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 30, 2021, 11:05:17 AM
Your personal feelings don't matter much, sorry. And Hyundai isn't going to base their future on that. It's not "wokeness".

I don't expect any car company to function this way, but they are still making a mistake by completely abandoning the ICE in my honest opinion. Much of the world will still rely on the ICE for decades to come.

They're possibly also alienating say the typical Hyundai i30 N buyer, who most likely only has one car (the i30 N) and likes a performance hot hatch with an ICE and wouldn't touch an IONIQ 5 for example. Kind of like the average Volkswagen Golf GTI driver - a one car owner who doesn't want to be seen dead in an ID.3.

By the way, I thought this meme was funny!  :thumbsup:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

Quote from: Rich on December 30, 2021, 11:05:41 PM
Afghanistain ain't gonna be buying any petrol DI variable geometry turbo engines with catalytic converters anytime soon.

Where did these (modern) cars from Kabul come from?

Rich

at least half of 'em are running diesels last developed in the 90s without a cat.

If the automakers abandoned ICE R&D in MY2000, the cars in the photo would be no different.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

GoCougs

Quote from: Rich on December 31, 2021, 12:25:48 PM
at least half of 'em are running diesels last developed in the 90s without a cat.

If the automakers abandoned ICE development in MY2000, the cars in the photo would be no different.

NimbySPIN.

r0tor

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 30, 2021, 07:23:23 PM
So the government just hit the US car industry with heavy new CAFE standards on a severely tight schedule (48 mpg by 2026.) AND the administration could not get its "Build Back Better" orgy of EV subsidies through the Senate. So the Big Three are in trouble.

24 minutes of nerd history detail on what happens next:

• Hugely overtaxed engineering departments
  • Low quality
  • Crap products rushed to market
  • Ruined reputations
https://youtu.be/rX7wSNQzpno

Sounds like the party of No should maybe vote yes
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Cheapest vehicle Ford makes is now a hybrid pickup. Weighs 3600lbs, gets 42mpg city. Much of that cost comes from outsourcing to Mexico, but imagine the possibilities for the rest of the world!
Will

AutobahnSHO

Will