Ford Maverick

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 09, 2022, 12:06:39 PM

AutobahnSHO

Thought there was a thread already...

Well this article is no surprise at all to me. Tons of other people(myself included) would love an affordable truck without the drawbacks.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/article-popularity-of-ford-maverick-hybrid-pickup-a-big-surprise-for-the-industry-even-ford.7930/
Will

AutobahnSHO

Also, apparently Ford figured a 40/60 hybrid to turbo ratio. All the hybrids are sold out until summer 2022.

The hybrids weren't "ok to buy" from US Fed EPA until December 10, 2021. They've been seeing turbos at dealership (usually with big markup, from early dealership order or cancelled customer order ) but zero hybrids...

Edit: hybrids are all going straight to customers.
Will

Soup DeVille

Seeing manufacturer plated Rivians around a few times now. Good looking truck.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 09, 2022, 12:06:39 PM
Thought there was a thread already...

Well this article is no surprise at all to me. Tons of other people(myself included) would love an affordable truck without the drawbacks.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/article-popularity-of-ford-maverick-hybrid-pickup-a-big-surprise-for-the-industry-even-ford.7930/

It's an almost too good to be true vehicle.  It looks really cool, it comes in interesting colors, it has the interior room of a small SUV with 4 doors, it's got a pickup bed, it's small enough to be used in urban settings, it's got great gas mileage, and it can be had new for 20 thousand dollars.

So for the price of a new base model compact car, you get a cool looking small crew cab pickup truck with better gas mileage. 

AutobahnSHO

Exactly!

They're sold out until summer when they start taking orders again for October.... :mask:
Will

veeman

I convinced my Dad to order a base model hybrid much to my Mom's chagrin.  It's arriving in February.  They currently have two leases; a Fusion hybrid and a Ford Ecosport.  They love the Fusion.  Dislike the Ecosport.  As a gift, I was going to get them a cover for the pickup bed.  Any suggestions? 

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Excellent!!!

I love to see the Maverick winning accolades. Ford finally did something different with this model than the "bigger, meaner, way more expensive" trend that's been going on for the past 15 years.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

I don't understand how the base price is even lower than the piece of crap Ecosport.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 11, 2022, 11:39:30 AM
I don't understand how the base price is even lower than the piece of crap Ecosport.

Same
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Probably tariffs; I think the Ecosport comes from India or Brazil or something.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on January 11, 2022, 11:54:38 AM
Probably tariffs; I think the Ecosport comes from India or Brazil or something.
They should've kept them there.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 11, 2022, 11:39:30 AM

Built in Mexico
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on January 11, 2022, 09:30:57 AM
I convinced my Dad to order a base model hybrid much to my Mom's chagrin.  It's arriving in February.  They currently have two leases; a Fusion hybrid and a Ford Ecosport.  They love the Fusion.  Dislike the Ecosport.  As a gift, I was going to get them a cover for the pickup bed.  Any suggestions? 

I'm jealous! We still don't have a build date. Our salesman is clueless, says they haven't started building the hybrids yet (they've been delivering them since December 10th).

The Maverick truck club is pretty well organized and had a section about bed stuff: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/forums/bed-roof-mods-flexbed-tonneau-toppers-racks-carriers-cargo-systems.19/
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 11, 2022, 11:28:50 AM
Excellent!!!

I love to see the Maverick winning accolades. Ford finally did something different with this model than the "bigger, meaner, way more expensive" trend that's been going on for the past 15 years.

It's like not everyone wants the fanciest thing around. Who knew???!?!?!!!?? Lol.

I know the interior is going to be "cheap" but the value just can't be beat.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Will

Speed_Racer

My brother will most likely be putting in a reservation for an AWD Hybrid when that window opens. He liked the utility of his B3000 but not anything else about it. This would serve as a good replacement.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Speed_Racer on January 11, 2022, 01:12:30 PM
My brother will most likely be putting in a reservation for an AWD Hybrid when that window opens. He liked the utility of his B3000 but not anything else about it. This would serve as a good replacement.

AWD isn't available with the hybrid, only the 2.0T engine.

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 11, 2022, 01:04:29 PM
Yessir!!!

I wanted that color but it's an extra $500. We ordered dark grey.
Yellow looks good on some vehicles and looks crap on others, down to styling I think.  Looks good on the Maverick.  Not worth the $500 though.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 11, 2022, 01:14:06 PM

It's too bad they don't use the hybrid-ness to add low speed electric motors to the rear wheels.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 11, 2022, 01:14:06 PM

Currently not, but Ford has said it will be coming down the road.

FoMoJo

Good review...The $19,995 Ford Maverick is a bare-bones pickup truck that proves less really can be more

The first time I hopped into the new Ford Maverick pickup, I did what any driver would do in an unfamiliar vehicle. I strapped in, adjusted my seat, and fiddled with the rearview. Then I went to tweak the side mirrors.

But I didn't find the usual buttons or joystick on the driver door.

"Strange," I thought. "There's got to be a knob here somewhere." I searched and searched for some way to adjust the mirrors to no avail. The knob, I'd soon learn, was me.

AutobahnSHO

The base model has manual mirrors,  steelies wheels, and no cruise control!!!

A lot of business will probably go for that trim, most others have been ordering the middle XLT. We wanted dual climate do had to jump even higher.

As far as sluggish, I've read there's a super noticeable difference between eco, normal, and sport driving settings.
Will

Soup DeVille

191 HP in a vehicle that size is more than adequate. Not too long ago, that would have made it "sporty," or even "quick."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

I have heard that the hybrid is less sluggish around town then the more powerful conventional engine. E-Power, even a little bit, helps.

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2022, 04:15:08 AM
191 HP in a vehicle that size is more than adequate. Not too long ago, that would have made it "sporty," or even "quick."

It'd embarrass my Outback at a stoplight. :lol:

With slower/bigger/taller vehicles I try to emphasize driving smoothly, not fast.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on January 12, 2022, 10:50:16 AM
It'd embarrass my Outback at a stoplight. :lol:

With slower/bigger/taller vehicles I try to emphasize driving smoothly, not fast.

I really think reviewers are struggling to find bad things to say all the time. Its like when they say something is "look outdated" but can't say any reasons why newer versions are better. "The switchgear is durable and logically laid out, but looks outdated." Nothing looks new after you've stared at it for a few months.

I found the sub-80 HP econoboxes of my youth "sluggish," but acceptable in a lower cost car that (and this is the important part) can still do all of the stuff you need a car to do.

Soup DeVille

Motor Trend called the 7.0 second 0-60 time in the ecoboost Mav "leisurely."

Umm, are we that fucking jaded that we honestly expect 6 second 0-60 runs from a bargain compact pickup? These people need to find themselves on the highway with a 4-cylinder Ranger from the '90s.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2022, 11:17:52 AM
Motor Trend called the 7.0 second 0-60 time in the ecoboost Mav "leisurely."

Umm, are we that fucking jaded that we honestly expect 6 second 0-60 runs from a bargain compact pickup? These people need to find themselves on the highway with a 4-cylinder Ranger from the '90s.

Yeah, WTF. 0-60 in 7-seconds is rippin, dude.