Ford Maverick

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 09, 2022, 12:06:39 PM

Speed_Racer

Quote from: r0tor on April 03, 2022, 09:15:54 AM
The maverick may cost the same as a civic, but build quality is on a different planet from my brief time in them.  It's like buying an Impreza - there are massive cost cuts to deliver the package for the price.

The Bronco seemed pretty terrible to be honest.  I guess it's OK I'f you compare it to a woeful Wrangler, but a Defender is about the same price and pulls off a utilitarian design without seeming like it came from Walmart.
Most everything is better than the Wrangler. But the Defender starts at $52k, Bronco starts at $31k. :hmm:

Soup DeVille

Took a look at a Maverick today. Didn't seem bad at all. Yeah, the interior materials are on the hard side, but it seems well put together and doesn't have the shiny cheap look that some bargain basement cars have. Not luxury, but perfectly acceptable.

I would like to take a closer look at the Bronco too.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on April 03, 2022, 09:15:54 AM
The maverick may cost the same as a civic, but build quality is on a different planet from my brief time in them.  It's like buying an Impreza - there are massive cost cuts to deliver the package for the price.

The Bronco seemed pretty terrible to be honest.  I guess it's OK I'f you compare it to a woeful Wrangler, but a Defender is about the same price and pulls off a utilitarian design without seeming like it came from Walmart.

Maverick is an amazing cheap and cheerful option. Of course there are some cuts, but it delivers a very unique value proposition in the Chicken Tax US truck market.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: Speed_Racer on April 03, 2022, 02:18:34 PM
Most everything is better than the Wrangler. But the Defender starts at $52k, Bronco starts at $31k. :hmm:
The one at our show was in the mid 50's  and within a few grand of the Defender that was there.  The defender was about a.million times better built and actually had really good interior space.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 03, 2022, 03:32:22 PM
Took a look at a Maverick today. Didn't seem bad at all. Yeah, the interior materials are on the hard side, but it seems well put together and doesn't have the shiny cheap look that some bargain basement cars have. Not luxury, but perfectly acceptable.

I would like to take a closer look at the Bronco too.

Someone could have told me I was sitting in a typical 90's American car and I would have believed it except for the screen
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on April 03, 2022, 07:18:43 PM
Someone could have told me I was sitting in a typical 90's American car and I would have believed it except for the screen

Naww, other than it being overly rectangular, I can't see what you're getting at. The only thing I really didn't like was the dial-a-gear gear selector, but I also have a feeling a real lever there would only count against it if looking newer means looking better.

Besides, the '90s weren't bad
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on April 03, 2022, 07:18:43 PM

:lol:

You don't remember the 90s very well then. Screws visible all over the dashboard and everywhere else.

Did you sit in it? Most reviews have said the seats are good. I kind of like getting as much value as possible- there's not even anything behind the rear seat to cover all the wiring!!
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 03, 2022, 10:11:55 PM
Naww, other than it being overly rectangular, I can't see what you're getting at. The only thing I really didn't like was the dial-a-gear gear selector, but I also have a feeling a real lever there would only count against it if looking newer means looking better.

Besides, the '90s weren't bad
I was opposed to the "dial-a-gear" selector until I got one.  I find it's very convenient and actually looks better.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 06, 2022, 08:56:58 AM
I was opposed to the "dial-a-gear" selector until I got one.  I find it's very convenient and actually looks better.

Also, it doesn't interfere with the cupholders...

They still suck.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 06, 2022, 10:22:22 AM

They still suck.
So clean and convenient, and no clumsy stick to get in the way.  Besides, what's the use of a stick unless it's a manual.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Soup DeVille

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Not really sure why they reverted back to a stick a year or so later...

I guess some just missed the feel of it.  It just looks to be in the way.

r0tor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 06, 2022, 08:23:59 AM

You don't remember the 90s very well then. Screws visible all over the dashboard and everywhere else.

Did you sit in it? Most reviews have said the seats are good. I kind of like getting as much value as possible- there's not even anything behind the rear seat to cover all the wiring!!

There is plenty of exposed hardware (actually as a design theme I guess).  The door cards are ridiculously awkward looking.  The seats just felt like generic seats.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 06, 2022, 08:56:58 AM

On some you just spin it clockwise to go into drive, and counter clockwise for park. Can't overshoot, and you really only need to be careful for reverse anyway.
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 07, 2022, 11:00:47 PM
On some you just spin it clockwise to go into drive, and counter clockwise for park. Can't overshoot, and you really only need to be careful for reverse anyway.
Just wondered, and I'm too lazy to look it up, does the Maverick have electrically activated E-brake?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 08, 2022, 06:23:16 AM
Just wondered, and I'm too lazy to look it up, does the Maverick have electrically activated E-brake?

Yes

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 08, 2022, 07:16:27 AM
Yes
Good feature.  Put it in park and it clamps the rear wheels so there's no stress on the drive train.

Don't know about maintenance, etc.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 08, 2022, 07:48:58 AM
Good feature.  Put it in park and it clamps the rear wheels so there's no stress on the drive train.

How many vehicles have you had problems with caused by stress on the drivetrain while parked?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 08, 2022, 08:27:53 AM
How many vehicles have you had problems with caused by stress on the drivetrain while parked?

None, because I always use the parking brake :lol:

I've heard of cars breaking the Park pawl on the transmission due to the weight of the vehicle rocking onto it when you put it in park and let off the brake without the parking brake on. Although I don't know about modern cars - the stories and examples I've seen were probably all pre-1990
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 08, 2022, 07:48:58 AM

I use my Emmanuel handbrake when I park.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 08, 2022, 08:38:21 AM
None, because I always use the parking brake :lol:

I've heard of cars breaking the Park pawl on the transmission due to the weight of the vehicle rocking onto it when you put it in park and let off the brake without the parking brake on. Although I don't know about modern cars - the stories and examples I've seen were probably all pre-1990

Its basically a non-issue.

Eye of the Tiger

I've seen a car rolling down and icy hill in park with both drive wheels spinning in opposite directions. Parking brake would have fixed that. Or a welded diff.

NomisR

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 06, 2022, 08:23:59 AM

Wait, what car in the 90s has visible screws on the dashboard?   I don't remember any of that.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 06, 2022, 10:22:22 AM

They still suck.

They're not horrible.  It's better than the push button gear selectors that some manufacturers went with..

Soup DeVille

I mean, my '91 does, but its also very much a holdover from the late '70s.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 08, 2022, 08:27:53 AM

None.  Actually, the only problem I had with the knob selector is adjusting to the shift lever not being there.  I would reach for a lever expecting my hand to land on it, and found only air, then I would have to look down and find the dial.  Now my hand automatically goes to the dial without looking.

Eye of the Tiger

Jeep XJ has screws everywhere, though some are missing.

FoMoJo

veeman

My Dad loves his new base Maverick.  He's been getting Fords from his local Ford dealership for years (decades) and the dealer told him it would install his aftermarket hard bed cover that he bought online (usually dealerships won't do that unless you buy it through them). 

20 thousand for a new crew cab pickup with the fuel economy of a compact car is a game changer.  It's tow ratings and how heavy a load it can carry in it's bed are competitive for mid size trucks.

People complain about how homogenized new cars look.  This goes completely against that.  It also looks masculine without being a caricature (like new full size GM pickup trucks).

I'd take one in a heart beat over any other automatic economy compact sedan or hatchback regardless of whether the interior looks and feels 1990s grade. 

It's kind of like comparing the interior of a Tesla model 3 with a BMW 3 series or Mercedes C class.  Yeah, the Tesla sucks but it has so many other attributes which more than make up the difference.

AutobahnSHO

There really isn't any comparison!
Utility, cheap, and great gas mileage. Not heard of before.
Will