Ford Maverick

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 09, 2022, 12:06:39 PM

CaminoRacer

Built a Maverick on the Ford site. Adding the B&O 8 speaker premium audio requires removing the drop-in bedliner :wtf:
Is there a subwoofer accessible through the bed or something?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

No, it's just the stupid packages. I've watched reviews that the speakers themselves are okay- but the woofer isn't the best, and the rear speakers are up by the headrests- so really loud for rear passengers. (If you don't adjust fade)
Will

MrH

Drop in bed liners suck anyways.  Spray in for sure.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

My parents' came up to visit me for a few days before flying out of NYC.  Dad brought his new Maverick and I drove it locally for 15 minutes.  Base model with great blue/grey matte color.  He loves it. 

It's a perfect size for people who don't use their pickup truck for pickup truck things other than Home Depot or plant nursery runs.  Easily will fit into any garage but bigger than a midsize sedan.  Drives like a car.  Motor has a high pitched buzzy sound when starting from a stop but it wasn't that annoying.  Shifts smooth.  Interior is fine.  Hard plastics but that doesn't bother me. 

If I had to choose between the Maverick and a new 4 cylinder Camcord, I'd take the Maverick just because it looks so much cooler and it's novelty factor.  Plus more functional. 

AutobahnSHO

Exactly. We're still waiting..... :cry:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

If I was in the market for a new car, I would want a Maverick hybrid. Can't argue with the relative value. The little pickup bed would be handy. Amazing gas mileage.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 03, 2022, 12:30:56 PM
If I was in the market for a new car, I would want a Maverick hybrid. Can't argue with the relative value. The little pickup bed would be handy. Amazing gas mileage.

Seriously, the more I look at it, the more I want one even though I have no reason to want one nor do i need one, not to mention no room for one either.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 03, 2022, 12:30:56 PM

That's what I ordered. For a commuter car when the weather is not Scrappy friendly, lol.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Just days after I cancelled my Maverick order, saw one in person. Pretty handsome!

And way better looking than the weird Santa Cruz...
Will

giant_mtb

Yeah I just saw one yesterday for I believe the first time. Looks really nice.

Eye of the Tiger

"Due to high demand, the current model year is no longer available for retail order. Contact your dealer for more information."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 14, 2022, 05:18:05 PM
"Due to high demand, the current model year is no longer available for retail order. Contact your dealer for more information."

Dude they have said that since DECEMBER and they will start accepting orders again in August. :huh:  I bet they fill up again in a month or two.

Many 2022 orders were pushed to 2023.
Will

Morris Minor

Curiously our local Ford dealer's lot has a full complement of Broncos parked in front. Maybe they overestimated Bronco demand & underestimated that for the Maverick.

(OT: by contrast the Chevy dealer across the street is sad & sparse)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Eye of the Tiger

Apparently, it sells like hot cakes. Maverick hybrid is like the only new car I am remotely interested in. I understand the appeal.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 16, 2022, 11:12:56 AM
Apparently, it sells like hot cakes. Maverick hybrid is like the only new car I am remotely interested in. I understand the appeal.

I can't understand how the entire market didn't guess the demand.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 16, 2022, 06:40:49 AM
Curiously our local Ford dealer's lot has a full complement of Broncos parked in front. Maybe they overestimated Bronco demand & underestimated that for the Maverick.

Bronco is way more expensive, Maverick is more useful. But also may cut into other truck sales.....
Will

CaminoRacer

Maybe that dealership marked up the Broncos a ridiculous amount too.

veeman

The appeal is the base model which stickers for around $21 thousand and gets 42 mpg city/ 33 mpg highway (or at least close to those numbers).

So how many people if given a choice would want a base model compact hatchback/sedan over a Maverick?

At a large extended family get together I was telling all my cousins how great my parents' new Maverick is and they were all skeptical.  They couldn't get over it being a pickup truck.  I gave several of them the keys to it and had them drive it around.  One of my cousins said "I'd rather have something like a Highlander Hybrid".  I said "You can get two of these for the price of a new Highlander Hybrid".

r0tor

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 16, 2022, 06:40:49 AM

I saw 4 broncos driving around yesterday... Up until yesterday I think I only ever saw 1.  There must be a bumper crop of them that just left the factory
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on July 18, 2022, 10:28:41 AM
I saw 4 broncos driving around yesterday... Up until yesterday I think I only ever saw 1.  There must be a bumper crop of them that just left the factory

I've seen dozens of them, and 3 Mavericks.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on July 17, 2022, 01:49:23 PM
The appeal is the base model which stickers for around $21 thousand and gets 42 mpg city/ 33 mpg highway (or at least close to those numbers).

So how many people if given a choice would want a base model compact hatchback/sedan over a Maverick?

Some people are getting way better mileage. And that price point for what you get is AMAZING.
Will

AutobahnSHO

sooooooo...

I drove Odyssey to work the other day. We LOVE the room, when we need it. We don't need it that often. I am getting 18mpg mixed driving. So I asked wife what she thought about ordering a Maverick again and selling Odyssey when it comes in. "right now" KBB value for Odyssey is $11-14k private party, we bought it for $12k in 2020.  :confused:

But who knows how long a Maverick would take to come in, and who knows if used prices would go up. Our van is pretty dirty inside (we thought it would just clean out but there are stains) and someone scratched the rear bumper passenger side cover up with a cart or something. Plus it had a carfax hit- a big tree branch fell resulting in windshield, hood, and fender replacement.   

THEN this morning I park next to a Maverick. I ogled it a bit.  :mask:
They're a bit smaller inside than I was thinking. They have a carseat in the back and it's almost touching the driver seat. It's survivable but wouldn't be the family vacation cruiser like Odyssey. But that 40+mpg!!!    :hammerhead:
Will

veeman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 29, 2022, 07:12:34 PM
sooooooo...

I drove Odyssey to work the other day. We LOVE the room, when we need it. We don't need it that often. I am getting 18mpg mixed driving. So I asked wife what she thought about ordering a Maverick again and selling Odyssey when it comes in. "right now" KBB value for Odyssey is $11-14k private party, we bought it for $12k in 2020.  :confused:

But who knows how long a Maverick would take to come in, and who knows if used prices would go up. Our van is pretty dirty inside (we thought it would just clean out but there are stains) and someone scratched the rear bumper passenger side cover up with a cart or something. Plus it had a carfax hit- a big tree branch fell resulting in windshield, hood, and fender replacement.   

THEN this morning I park next to a Maverick. I ogled it a bit.  :mask:
They're a bit smaller inside than I was thinking. They have a carseat in the back and it's almost touching the driver seat. It's survivable but wouldn't be the family vacation cruiser like Odyssey. But that 40+mpg!!!    :hammerhead:

I think for 4 people, with 2 normal sized people in the rear seats, it's a good family cruiser.  For more than 4 people or with four people and a large dog, you're better off with a 3 row vehicle.  It doesn't feel like a compact car but it's not as comfy as a large sedan either.  Feels like a small to midsize SUV. 

I'd get the base model with zero options.  FWD, hybrid engine, manual front seat adjustments.  Old school looking wheels.  Side view mirrors have electronic adjustment.  Only negative is no cruise control. 

SVT_Power

A family vacation cruiser without cruise control?

Hard pass.

Unless Will is one of those weirdos that don't ever use cruise control...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 29, 2022, 09:50:02 PM

Hard pass.

I drove from the UP to Moab, and back, without cruise control. 

Eye of the Tiger

If there's only one option it's cruise control. I need to cruise.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 30, 2022, 06:14:36 AM
If there's only one option it's cruise control. I need to cruise.

+1

It's funny that they didn't include that on the base model, most assume it's cuz Ford thought they could sell a ton to fleets. Didn't realize they wouldn't be able to make but a tiny fraction of the demand.

BUT people have been playing with the ECM programming- all it takes is a steering wheel from an Escape and little bit of wizardry and you have cruise in the "$19,995" truck. :lol:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on July 29, 2022, 09:09:55 PM
I think for 4 people, with 2 normal sized people in the rear seats, it's a good family cruiser.  For more than 4 people or with four people and a large dog, you're better off with a 3 row vehicle.  It doesn't feel like a compact car but it's not as comfy as a large sedan either.  Feels like a small to midsize SUV. 

I'd get the base model with zero options.  FWD, hybrid engine, manual front seat adjustments.  Old school looking wheels.  Side view mirrors have electronic adjustment.  Only negative is no cruise control. 

I'm pretty sure the base model has manual mirrors.

They only put one interior in each different trim- I like the XLT orange accents. We originally ordered a Lariat for the dual climate but we've been fine in the Civic so my preference would be XLT Hybrid with copilot 360, towing, and Cyber Orange paint.
:thumbsup:
Will

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 29, 2022, 09:50:02 PM

Hard pass.

Hah, I am one of those weirdos!  I haven't used cruise control in years.  The traffic around me is too heavy to be able to maintain a steady speed unless it's a slow speed, and I don't do slow.  :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

I use cruise control all the time, even through I-15 in SLC. Traffic flows well enough outside of rush hour that I can set it to 75-80 and then I never worry about speeding tickets even if I pass a cop.