Range anxiety from battery icon

Started by Laconian, February 01, 2022, 12:37:31 PM

Laconian

I wonder if EV perception suffers because the state of the battery is featured so prominently in the UI. The specter of limited range looms large, with lots of reminders about instantaneous consumption, estimated miles to empty, percentages, and whatnot. Of course it makes people anxious. I imagine people would feel the same way about ICEs if gasoline consumption stats were presented so pathologically. Perhaps the higher end EVs with battery packs larger than 70+ kWh should just throw up a "good enough" approximation of an E->F fuel gauge?

If you go on a road trip, you can summon the "stats for nerds", but otherwise - just go about your daily routine, plug in your car every so often, and don't bother worrying about the gauge.

Maybe plugging in a longer road trip into the GPS would indicate to the UI that more attention should be provided to the battery state.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

There's probably some truth to this; but "range anxiety" keeps a lot of people from buying electric, even ones that have never seen the displays.

Part of it is fear of what would happen if the car died; or of having to take a lot of time to recharge. I think the answer to both of these problems is more familiarity with EVs.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

:confused:

I don't think just plugging in the car every so often and forget about it is viable.  The penalty for running out of juice is way worse than running out of gas.  And you can resolve running low on gas immediately, almost anywhere.  IMO, EVs only work if you have a regular commute, can charge nightly from home, and have an ICE for road trips.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

I think range anxiety is an issue when your range is less than 200 miles.  Once the range goes above 300, it goes away because it's the same as any normal car.  You may be limited to the amount of places you can charge but that's really not that much different than driving on a long trip in the middle of the desert and the next closest gas station is 30 miles.  With the Tesla and the built in supercharger network, it makes this calculation a lot easier since it can help you plan out your supercharger stops allowing you to stop for as short of a time as possible with pee breaks in between.  I did a round trip to SF when the car was less than a 1000 miles and it was pretty painless.  My random trip to the Salton Sea was a bit more daunting since I finished as a charging station with 1% left, but then again, there was no gas stations that I drove by during the whole time either so the result would've been the same.

Morris Minor

The anxiety scenario that gives me the most pause is long-term airport parking. You park in a deck. Go away for a couple of weeks. Return after an 11-hour flight: sleep-deprived, disoriented, grumpy, & needing a shower. The car's charge has ebbed too low to get you home.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 07, 2022, 05:45:53 AM
The anxiety scenario that gives me the most pause is long-term airport parking. You park in a deck. Go away for a couple of weeks. Return after an 11-hour flight: sleep-deprived, disoriented, grumpy, & needing a shower. The car's charge has ebbed too low to get you home.

Self-discharge is something that rooftop solar would be an answer to.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 07, 2022, 06:00:08 AM
Self-discharge is something that rooftop solar would be an answer to.
Long-term parking lots & decks are going to need 120V trickle charge outlets at every bay. I would not want to arrive before a flight & find just a dozen or so EV spots. All taken.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

SLC airport has a lot of chargers. 20-30 at least. And then the covered 3rd party parking lot down the street has some L2 chargers + 120v outlets if you want to just bring your portable L1 charger. I've parked our Bolt at both lots with no issues.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 07, 2022, 07:55:52 AM
Long-term parking lots & decks are going to need 120V trickle charge outlets at every bay. I would not want to arrive before a flight & find just a dozen or so EV spots. All taken.

oh, I meant on the roof of the vehicle. A 120-150 watt array should be enough to provide enough power to keep the batteries from going flat while being parked.

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 07, 2022, 11:00:45 AM
oh, I meant on the roof of the vehicle. A 120-150 watt array should be enough to provide enough power to keep the batteries from going flat while being parked.

Henrik Fisker seems to agree with you on since he added solar roofs to his previous and current cars.

Eye of the Tiger

Speaking to range anxiety, I have less than 1/4 tank of heating oil.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

I'm sorry, but "Range anxiety" brings to mind trying to actually fire some of the ancient rifles I've purchased over the years. I was asked by an RO why I was firing the Arisaka upside down. Well, sir, that's because if the spacing is wrong and the damn thing explodes, it will be into the table, and not me.
Turns out the the old Jap rifle shot just fine. Accurate as hell, as a matter of fact.  :ohyeah:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on February 07, 2022, 07:43:36 PM
I'm sorry, but "Range anxiety" brings to mind trying to actually fire some of the ancient rifles I've purchased over the years. I was asked by an RO why I was firing the Arisaka upside down. Well, sir, that's because if the spacing is wrong and the damn thing explodes, it will be into the table, and not me.
Turns out the the old Jap rifle shot just fine. Accurate as hell, as a matter of fact.  :ohyeah:

Arisakas are strong as hell; you'd have to do some serious fuckery to blow one up- Now my Martini-Henry, which was sold as a "wall hanger only," I shot that the first two times from a lead sled with a string. And the 7.62 Indian Lee-Enfield? Well those are known as being marginal- you can't load full power .308 rounds into them despite most people thinking 7.62x51 is the same round as .308 Winchester- they're the same size within a few thousandths, and they'll all fit; but the pressure standard for .308 is a little higher.

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 07, 2022, 08:54:31 PM
Arisakas are strong as hell; you'd have to do some serious fuckery to blow one up- Now my Martini-Henry, which was sold as a "wall hanger only," I shot that the first two times from a lead sled with a string. And the 7.62 Indian Lee-Enfield? Well those are known as being marginal- you can't load full power .308 rounds into them despite most people thinking 7.62x51 is the same round as .308 Winchester- they're the same size within a few thousandths, and they'll all fit; but the pressure standard for .308 is a little higher.

LOL   :ohyeah: