Shave rotors vs Replace rotors

Started by veeman, May 13, 2022, 10:07:53 AM

veeman

My Veloster has 53 thousand miles and I took it to the dealer I bought it from for an oil change.  The tech said in a few months I should have all 4 brakes rotors resurfaced.  This didn't surprise me because at this mileage and the way I drive, I was expecting to need a brake job soon.  Two questions:

1) Should I even bother with the rotor shaving and instead just have an independent shop replace the rotors. 

2) If I take it to an independent mechanic, should I tell them to use OEM parts.  I don't think it matters especially on a base model compact car. 

Thanks

Eye of the Tiger

Depends on the thickness. I usually recommend just getting new ones. Base Velosters are not hard on brakes, so OEM is not necessary. I still recommend quality parts.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 13, 2022, 10:26:04 AM
Depends on the thickness. I usually recommend just getting new ones. Base Velosters are not hard on brakes, so OEM is not necessary. I still recommend quality parts.

Sounds good.  Thanks!

giant_mtb

I've never had rotors resurfaced before...always just replaced 'em.  Don't know what the cost for resurfacing is, but if it's about the same price as new rotors, I'd just get new rotors. New rotors are probably like $30-40 apiece for your car.  Might as well do pads at that point, too, since your pads are "shaped" to whatever uneven surface your rotor has become, so it's nice to have fresh pads on fresh rotors.

CaminoRacer

I've always gotten new rotors. Most of the time mine are in need of replacement due to an issue that wouldn't be fixed by just resurfacing. I'm hard on rotors for some reason, but it's always a different issue
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 13, 2022, 10:30:18 AM
I've never had rotors resurfaced before...always just replaced 'em.  Don't know what the cost for resurfacing is, but if it's about the same price as new rotors, I'd just get new rotors. New rotors are probably like $30-40 apiece for your car.  Might as well do pads at that point, too, since your pads are "shaped" to whatever uneven surface your rotor has become, so it's nice to have fresh pads on fresh rotors.

Most places will do them for $30-40 a rotor.

It never made sense on most of my cars, when the replacements were $70. And I never wanted to do it on the good cars like the S2000 because of reasons.

But the Civic Si rotors were $300 and the ones on the camper are like $400.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 13, 2022, 01:53:54 PM
Most places will do them for $30-40 a rotor.

It never made sense on most of my cars, when the replacements were $70. And I never wanted to do it on the good cars like the S2000 because of reasons.

But the Civic Si rotors were $300 and the ones on the camper are like $400.

Wah.  Guess price depends on the vehicle and how much supply is out there.  Taco gets cheap-o rotors and they're like $30 apiece, but also probably plenty available since there're a zillion 2nd gen Tacos on the roads.  I don't like to skimp on the pads, but even standard AC Delcos are cheap for the Taco, and having front discs and rear drums helps the cost, too. Replaced the (original) rear drums at like 195k after they were finally worn enough that I finally overextended/blew a wheel cylinder. Amazing how much better my braking was when my rear drums weren't metal on metal.  :hammerhead:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 13, 2022, 03:51:21 PM
Wah.  Guess price depends on the vehicle and how much supply is out there.  Taco gets cheap-o rotors and they're like $30 apiece, but also probably plenty available since there're a zillion 2nd gen Tacos on the roads.  I don't like to skimp on the pads, but even standard AC Delcos are cheap for the Taco, and having front discs and rear drums helps the cost, too. Replaced the (original) rear drums at like 195k after they were finally worn enough that I finally overextended/blew a wheel cylinder. Amazing how much better my braking was when my rear drums weren't metal on metal.  :hammerhead:

Drum brakes are definitely "drive until they completely stop working". I hate working on drums.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

Thanks for the responses! 

I'll ask Hyundai how much for shaving the rotors and compare with the price the independent shop I go to charges for replacing the rotors. 

All throughout high school and college I've driven my parents' cars with often grinding metal on metal brakes.  My Dad would wait for the last minute before replacing and it annoyed me.  Sometimes he would have his work colleague just change out the pads and the brakes would grind again a few months later.  Whenever the dealer on my oil change says I should get a brake job, I always get it done  :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 13, 2022, 06:27:58 PM
Drum brakes are definitely "drive until they completely stop working". I hate working on drums.

Yeahhhh my mechanic friend did the drums for me while I watched and fed him beers. Was far more complicated than I expected. So many moving parts and pieces, it was like a puzzle.