2008 BMW M3 vs others

Started by 1 BAD 7, April 08, 2007, 12:39:27 PM

cawimmer430

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 08, 2007, 01:55:24 PM
Has anyone even driven it yet?

The M3 has a reputation for sporting qualities. I think that's what Nick was reffering too.  :ohyeah:

By the way, you should see the Lexus fanboys on other sites and how the talk smack about the M3. They act as if the IS-F has been tested already...

"The new IS-F is going to destroy the BMW M3 because it has the worlds only 8-speed automatic which is so much better than the POS BMW 7-speed SMG."

"The BMW M3 will explode if you drive it hard. Lexus on the other hand makes reliable cars and the IS-F can be abused and it will never break down."

"The BMW M3 is just a rebadged 318i with a powerful engine. Nothing special in terms of engineering."

There's a reason I hate Lexus fanboys.
  :P
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quote from: Kayani_1 on April 09, 2007, 02:17:46 PM
The E92 M3 power/weight ratio of 8.4 Ibs per hp is better then that of Porsche 911 Carrera S @ 9.14 Ibs per hp. The price difference is $55K appx. vs $85K. It is also better then a $110K Aston Martin Vantage V8 with power/weight ratio of 9.24 Ib per hp. As for MB CLK they only offer Cabriolet version which costs nearly $89K and still has power to weight ratio of 8.7 Ibs per hp.

As for the CLK63 AMG Black I love its looks :ohyeah:. But it will cost $130k-$140K :cry: and the power to weight ratio will be appx. very close to that of M3. Since it will weigh only slightly less then the CLK cabriolet according to automotive sources.

Even compared to in house bone stock super light weight version of E46 BMW M3 CSL which cost nearly $77K plus has similar power to weight ratio of 8.4 Ibs per hp.

I think E92 M3 will be one heck of a fine GT performance car.

Do you really think that it will cost 55K?  I mean, the E46 M3 started at 46K when it first came out, and that didn't even include leather.  Considering how much the 335i, and market placement, and the M Roadster starts at 52K.  I expect this to start at around 65K.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 10, 2007, 03:08:26 AM

"The BMW M3 will explode if you drive it hard. Lexus on the other hand makes reliable cars and the IS-F can be abused and it will never break down."

There's a reason I hate Lexus fanboys.
  :P

Well, on Bullrun the BMW M3 ran a challenge and then shut down and the drivers thought they were out of it.  It eventually started again, though.  But they seem to have a point.

;)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Lexi are more relieble than other luxury cars. The fanboy exagerate things, though. They act as if your Lexus will never have a problem and your Jag/BMW/Caddy/MB/Audi/etc will constantly be in the shop with problems. Its a simple matter of playing the odds. Chances are you are less likely to have a problem with you Lexus but nothing is guaranteed. You could by a Lexus thats always in the shop and a MB that never has a problem. It's a matter of playing the odds.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

850CSi

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8502.msg412845#msg412845 date=1176216873
Do you really think that it will cost 55K?? I mean, the E46 M3 started at 46K when it first came out, and that didn't even include leather.? Considering how much the 335i, and market placement, and the M Roadster starts at 52K.? I expect this to start at around 65K.

+1

Lebowski

Do you really think that it will cost 55K?? I mean, the E46 M3 started at 46K when it first came out, and that didn't even include leather.? Considering how much the 335i, and market placement, and the M Roadster starts at 52K.? I expect this to start at around 65K.

I agree, I think this $55k talk is wishful thinking.? Mind you, I hope that's what it costs, but I think it's unlikely.

IIRC, I believe it was an article (C&D?) quoted in one of the myriad other threads on this topic that cited "low $60ks" as the likely starting point.? Making some fairly conservative assumptions based upon how BMW typically equips its base-priced vehicles (i.e. no leather in base E46 M3), and it's reasonable to infer a well equipped example will push $70k.? That's where the $70k talk came from, peple didn't just pull that number out of their ass, and frankly I think that's more realistic than $55k.? I'm talking well equipped, not base, price.

If it's $55-$60k well equipped, I'd be very interested if I were in the market for a new car right now (which I'm fortunately not).  If it's pushing $70k, I'd pass, likely for a 911.

Champ

I like where Lebowski went with that, especially the 911 part!  :D

JYODER240

Quote from: Lebowski on April 10, 2007, 09:37:31 AM
I agree, I think this $55k talk is wishful thinking.? Mind you, I hope that's what it costs, but I think it's unlikely.

IIRC, I believe it was an article (C&D?) quoted in one of the myriad other threads on this topic that cited "low $60ks" as the likely starting point.? Making some fairly conservative assumptions based upon how BMW typically equips its base-priced vehicles (i.e. no leather in base E46 M3), and it's reasonable to infer a well equipped example will push $70k.? That's where the $70k talk came from, peple didn't just pull that number out of their ass, and frankly I think that's more realistic than $55k.? I'm talking well equipped, not base, price.

If it's $55-$60k well equipped, I'd be very interested if I were in the market for a new car right now (which I'm fortunately not).? If it's pushing $70k, I'd pass, likely for a 911.

We need to see more pics of your vette :ohyeah:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 10, 2007, 09:03:06 AM
Lexi are more relieble than other luxury cars. The fanboy exagerate things, though. They act as if your Lexus will never have a problem and your Jag/BMW/Caddy/MB/Audi/etc will constantly be in the shop with problems. Its a simple matter of playing the odds. Chances are you are less likely to have a problem with you Lexus but nothing is guaranteed. You could by a Lexus thats always in the shop and a MB that never has a problem. It's a matter of playing the odds.

Well it does get equally annoying to hear M-B and BMW fanboys berate Lexus cars for being rebadged Toyotas, when in fact only a couple are. On top of that, just because a person buys a Lexus doesn't mean they are stupid or boring or cheap, because someone who can buy a Lexus could have bought a Benz or BMW if they wanted to. I'm sure I could browse the net and find comments from some pretty stupid German car fans as well and paint the whole owner base with the same brush.

Raza

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 12:16:38 PM
Well it does get equally annoying to hear M-B and BMW fanboys berate Lexus cars for being rebadged Toyotas, when in fact only a couple are. On top of that, just because a person buys a Lexus doesn't mean they are stupid or boring or cheap, because someone who can buy a Lexus could have bought a Benz or BMW if they wanted to. I'm sure I could browse the net and find comments from some pretty stupid German car fans as well and paint the whole owner base with the same brush.

They all are, just most of them aren't sold in the US.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: Raza  on April 10, 2007, 12:19:53 PM
They all are, just most of them aren't sold in the US.

Not anymore they're not.

SJ_GTI

Their best selling models are in fact rebadged Toyota's though (RX, ES, and LX). The only real "high volume" Lexus that isn't based on a Toyota is the new IS (as far as I know).

Raza

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 12:27:45 PM
Not anymore they're not.

What isn't?  (I'm not questioning you condescendingly, I honestly don't know)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 10, 2007, 01:20:08 PM
Their best selling models are in fact rebadged Toyota's though (RX, ES, and LX). The only real "high volume" Lexus that isn't based on a Toyota is the new IS (as far as I know).

The LS is the best selling car in its class. The ES I'll concede, the RX has some some underpinnings derived from the Camry but what's it a rebadge of? The LX outsells the Land Cruiser by a huge margin, an expensive vehicle to begin with so even if it is a rebadge, it's one that Toyota shouldn't be penalized IMHO for.

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: Raza  on April 10, 2007, 01:22:20 PM
What isn't?  (I'm not questioning you condescendingly, I honestly don't know)

I'm assuming you meant that all Lexus models were Toyota rebadges because they were sold as Toyotas in Japan and most of the world. Lexus has been introduced in a number of countries including Japan now so the premium cars that were branded "Toyota" are no longer the case.

Raza

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 04:48:40 PM
I'm assuming you meant that all Lexus models were Toyota rebadges because they were sold as Toyotas in Japan and most of the world. Lexus has been introduced in a number of countries including Japan now so the premium cars that were branded "Toyota" are no longer the case.

Yeah, I did.  Like the Harrier, Soarer, and stuff like that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: Raza  on April 10, 2007, 04:54:41 PM
Yeah, I did.  Like the Harrier, Soarer, and stuff like that.

That's no longer the case but prior to last year Lexus didn't exist in Japan and several other countries. If you want to get technical, you can say that Lexus models are rebadged Toyotas but it's like judging M-B as a company based on the A-Class, which is not the first car that comes to mind when you think of M-B, nor should their prestige be penalized for it.

LonghornTX

I wouldn't expect the new M3 to cost more than 65k.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

omicron

I wouldn't expect the new M3 to cost more than US$132,000.

the Teuton

Quote from: omicron on April 11, 2007, 12:11:54 AM
I wouldn't expect the new M3 to cost more than US$132,000.

You crazy Australians and your funny price manipulations.  I feel bad for you.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SJ_GTI

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 04:45:24 PM
The LS is the best selling car in its class. The ES I'll concede, the RX has some some underpinnings derived from the Camry but what's it a rebadge of? The LX outsells the Land Cruiser by a huge margin, an expensive vehicle to begin with so even if it is a rebadge, it's one that Toyota shouldn't be penalized IMHO for.

The Lexus LS sells the most in its class in the US. Worldwide its not even in the top 3.

The RX is based on the Highlander, not the Camry. The ES is based on the Camry.

Chevy Tahoes can be pretty expensive as well. Should we not consider the Escalade a rebadge?

LonghornTX

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 11, 2007, 11:48:11 AM
Are you sure?  I know the first one was based somewhat on the camry and I thought that carried over to the second generation.  I always seemed to think that the suspension had Camry bits in it....maybe not  :huh:.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Lebowski

The Lexus thread called, it wants its posts back ...

r0tor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 11, 2007, 11:48:11 AM
The Lexus LS sells the most in its class in the US. Worldwide its not even in the top 3.

Chevy Tahoes can be pretty expensive as well. Should we not consider the Escalade a rebadge?

the Highlander is built on the Camry platform
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

TheIntrepid

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 11, 2007, 01:40:11 PM
Are you sure?  I know the first one was based somewhat on the camry and I thought that carried over to the second generation.  I always seemed to think that the suspension had Camry bits in it....maybe not  :huh:.

The Highlander, the Sienna (first-gen was anyway, not sure about current), the ES300/330/350, are built on teh Camry platform.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

E46M3

Sorry kayani but I think this car is FUGLY. :(
2005 M3 6spd

BimmerM3

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 10, 2007, 10:46:42 PM
I wouldn't expect the new M3 to cost more than 65k.

I think if the base price is over 65k, BMW would be making a huge mistake. I can see 60k, I think 65k is pushing it, and I think anything over that would lose too much market share to the 911.

1 BAD 7

Exactly my point that E46 M3 started out at base price of $46K and no way in hell is M3 gonna be starting out at base price of $65K :nono:.

Get real Raza M3 is not jumping up in base price by $20K. The new M3 will start at arround $55K range of base price. Which is already appx. about $10K more then E46 M3. As for M roadster starting at $52K yes that is very true and in past M roadster and M3 prices have been only separated by few thousand dollars thus $55K price range makes perfect sense.

You sound like one of those people who had claimed that E60 M5 will cost $90K plus in base price and it will be atleast $20K more then E39 M5 in base price. But when it really came down to it that never happened and M5 came out at base price of $79K which is no where near $90K plus quoted by some people. My prediction is that M3 is gonna be starting out arround base price of $55K. :partyon:

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

I guess to each his own :ohyeah:.

I think it looks very nice and I can understand why you might disagree with me since you own the last generation E46 M3.

Quote from: E46M3 on April 11, 2007, 07:23:40 PM
Sorry kayani but I think this car is FUGLY. :(

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com