The new 535i are offering a lot more for the money

Started by 1 BAD 7, April 21, 2007, 12:32:59 AM

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on April 26, 2007, 10:38:26 AM
I dont think the E-65 comes with 295's.

Nor do I think they'd have a 25 height sidewall.

Someone didn't get the memo about sig sizes... :nono:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on April 26, 2007, 10:54:02 AM

Someone didn't get the memo about sig sizes... :nono:

Indeed.

And yes, mother, I just noticed the blip.  I'll change it, which is a shame, because that XJ Portfolio is really a glorious looking automobile.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

1 BAD 7

You are correct it doesnot come in that size from the factory I had recently upgraded my wheels from 19" start spoke that came with 245/45 in front & 275/40 in rear to the 22" wheels wraped in gumball size 265/30 in front and 295/25 in the rear.  :ohyeah:

Quote from: Submariner on April 26, 2007, 10:38:26 AM
I dont think the E-65 comes with 295's.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

I have upgraded from stock 19" to 22" that is why I have 265/30 and 295/25.

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8712.msg430140#msg430140 date=1177606442

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

I would agree with you. I also think that as speeds rise the 550i will pull away because it is packing 360hp and 365 Ib-ft of torque vs 300hp and 300 Ib-ft of torque. The only advantage the 535i has is that it is lighter then the V8 packing 550i. Which might cause the 535i to stay close enough but overall I think 550i will start to pull away once speeds rise above 90mph.

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 25, 2007, 08:18:28 AM
I'd be willing to bet that as speeds increase the 550i acceleration advantage increases as well.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Raza

Quote from: Kayani_1 on April 26, 2007, 10:06:05 PM
I have upgraded from stock 19" to 22" that is why I have 265/30 and 295/25.

The car must ride like shit on rims and rubber like that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on April 26, 2007, 10:52:15 PM

Thats what I was thinking.

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on April 27, 2007, 08:44:05 AM
Thats what I was thinking.

It was no softie on stock rubber (especially if you went with the 19s, it could get rather choppy...the 18s were firm, but fine).  Also, I don't know where he lives, but if he lived where I do, he'd be paying more every year to replace shredded tires and bent rims than he would to insure the damn car. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

I didn't even know they made 25 series rubber. That must be like a rubberband!

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on April 27, 2007, 08:52:15 AM
It was no softie on stock rubber (especially if you went with the 19s, it could get rather choppy...the 18s were firm, but fine).  Also, I don't know where he lives, but if he lived where I do, he'd be paying more every year to replace shredded tires and bent rims than he would to insure the damn car. 

Meh, driving around in my pop's 760 gave one the impression that the car wasn't designed for livery service, yet almost every aspect of the car gave one the impression that it was designed for exactly that.

omicron

The new 535i are offering a lot more for the money?
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

JYODER240

So Kayani gives all this talk on how BMW's are so great because of their performance and he slaps heavy 22" wheels on his 7er.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Submariner

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 27, 2007, 11:14:29 AM
So Kayani gives all this talk on how BMW's are so great because of their performance and he slaps heavy rediculous looking 22" wheels on his 7er.

:praise:

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

1 BAD 7

Actually it rides almost as smooth as it does with 19" wheels. I was under the same impression as you before I had researched and talked with other BMW 7 series owners. But most all of them said that the difference was not much. Now since I have them I can tell you first hand that they were 100% correct.

The car feels more planted and grips like its on rails with those gumball size tire prints wraped arround 10 wide wheels in front and 11 inch wide in the back. This tire and wheel combo seems to be able to put the power down to the ground more efficiently in my opinion. Since they are 3 piece forged they are actually lighter then the 19" BMW stock wheels. Not to mention the car looks awesome with those light weight 3 piece custom forged wheels with 4" lip in front and 6" lip in rear. Every where I go I seem to get a lot of? positive attention and thumbs up.? :ohyeah:

Only down side in my opinion is the cost of these wheels/tires as the whole package runs close to $6K and with such expensive wheels you develop extreme pot hole phobia :cry:

Here is a pic that shows the type of wheels I have.

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8712.msg430845#msg430845 date=1177649535

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

Ignorance is a bliss my friend and you are sure enjoying it. :rolleyes: :praise:

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 27, 2007, 11:14:29 AM
So Kayani gives all this talk on how BMW's are so great because of their performance and he slaps heavy 22" wheels on his 7er.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Kayani_1 on April 27, 2007, 04:34:26 PM
Ignorance is a bliss my friend and you are sure enjoying it. :rolleyes: :praise:

And don't you be so ignorant as to forget that each of your tires are quite likely a few pounds heavier.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JYODER240

Quote from: NACar on April 27, 2007, 04:41:53 PM
And don't you be so ignorant as to forget that each of your tires are quite likely a few pounds heavier.

and don't forget that although the wheels may be lighter the weight is farther out. To illustrate this take a ruler and hold it in the center. Tape a stack of quarters just outside your hand. Move the ruler around and then do the same thing but tape the stack of quarters at the end of the ruler. It will be more difficult to move and control the quarters. The same thing occurs when you put bigger wheels or brakes on your car.

1 BAD 7

Actually you are being extra ignorant by calling me ignorant without doing any research. I did plenty of research? before I bought the wheels/tires so before you decided to make a comment without even knowing the full details call yourself ignorant not me.? :confused:

The weight difference of tires is almost negligible because stock 245/45/19 front & 275/40/19 rear in Pirelli P Zero Rosso is 29 Ib for front &? 31 Ib for rear. Where as the new tires 265/30/22 front & 295/25/22 rear in Pirelli P Zero Nero is 30 Ib and 32 Ib. The difference is so small that it is negligible even by itself. However, like I said my new wheels are custom forged 3 piece vs one entire mold of cast alloy type construction for stock Bmw wheels. Without a doubt the custom 3 piece forged are lighter by a significant margin then stock BMW 19" wheels.

When I went for purchase I wanted to keep the weight more or less same as stock 19" BMW wheels/tires. The stock Bmw 19" are single cast alloy type wheels. Thus to reduce the weight of my new 22" wheels I went with custom 3 piece forged wheels. Which are the lightest and best quality wheels in market and cost nearly $6K.

The lighter 3 piece custom forged wheels compared to stock cast alloy single piece 19" BMW wheels are much lighter. For example, take a 19" X 9.5" cast alloy OEM BMW stock wheel which weighs nearly 29 Ibs. While a slightly larger 19" X 10"? 3 piece custom forged wheel weighs only 18 Ibs despite being slightly larger in size. So I hope you are getting the overall picture. My 22" wheels weigh arround 24-25 Ibs which are 4 to 5 Ib lighter per wheel then the 19" stock wheels and the difference between tires is only 1 Ib per tire.?So in reality I have shaved off nearly 3 to 4 Ibs per wheel. Which means that I have overall reduced the unsprung weight by 14 Ibs overall. ;)

So please before calling me ignornat look at your own self as you fit the bill more then I do :evildude:

Quote from: NACar on April 27, 2007, 04:41:53 PM

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

The weight is not further out dude give me a break :rolleyes:

Because if that was the case then your wheels would be rubing against the fender of your car. The wheels are custom made to fit the car and are infact set much deeper by nearly 4" in front and 6" in back then the stock BMW cast alloy wheels. Which means that they carry more of their weight towards the inside not outside of the wheel so your entire example is flawed and makes no sense in this case. :nono: :lol:

Also the 22" custom 3 piece forged wheels are nearly 4-5 Ibs lighter then the smaller stock 19" BMW wheels all the while carrying most of that weight towards the inside of the car rather then hanging towards the outside. ;)

Even Formula One cars or Cart/Indy cars have wheels that are real wide but set real deep with their offset. Most race cars have this type of a setup.

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 27, 2007, 05:26:37 PM
and don't forget that although the wheels may be lighter the weight is farther out. To illustrate this take a ruler and hold it in the center. Tape a stack of quarters just outside your hand. Move the ruler around and then do the same thing but tape the stack of quarters at the end of the ruler. It will be more difficult to move and control the quarters. The same thing occurs when you put bigger wheels or brakes on your car.

www.KayaniTravel.com

JYODER240

Quote from: Kayani_1 on April 27, 2007, 05:39:00 PM
The weight is not further out dude give me a break :rolleyes:

Because if that was the case then your wheels would be rubing against the fender of your car. The wheels are custom made to fit the car and are infact set much deeper by nearly 4" in front and 6" in back then the stock BMW cast alloy wheels. Which means that they carry more of their weight towards the inside not outside of the wheel so your entire example is flawed and makes no sense in this case. :nono: :lol:

Also the 22" custom 3 piece forged wheels are nearly 4-5 Ibs lighter then the smaller stock 19" BMW wheels all the while carrying most of that weight towards the inside of the car rather then hanging towards the outside. ;)

Even Formula One cars or Cart/Indy cars have wheels that are real wide but set real deep with their offset. Most race cars have this type of a setup.

I wasn't talking about offsets. Think of it this way, is it harder to get a big wheel or small wheel rolling off the line(assuming they have a similar weight)? The smaller wheel is easy to get rolling. The weight is further away from the hub and it takes more to get the wheel moving even though the larger wheel may weigh less. It will also have an affect on your intial turn-in.

I've seen it happen where someone will buy an aftermarket big brake kit for their car. The aftermarket kit weighs less than the stock brakes but because the rotors are larger the caliper is farther away from the hub. They'll then have a greater drivetrain loss because it takes more effort to rotate the wheels.

1 BAD 7

Once again the 19" wheels vs 22" wheels and there distance from the hub is equal in this case and thus the example might work for after market brake kits but doesnot work for the wheels as they both are equal distance from the hub and the 22" have greater offset thus more of their mass is toward the inside and center of the car then the 19" which have less of an offset and carry more of their weight towards the outside of the car. :ohyeah:

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 27, 2007, 06:07:50 PM
I wasn't talking about offsets. Think of it this way, is it harder to get a big wheel or small wheel rolling off the line(assuming they have a similar weight)? The smaller wheel is easy to get rolling. The weight is further away from the hub and it takes more to get the wheel moving even though the larger wheel may weigh less. It will also have an affect on your intial turn-in.

I've seen it happen where someone will buy an aftermarket big brake kit for their car. The aftermarket kit weighs less than the stock brakes but because the rotors are larger the caliper is farther away from the hub. They'll then have a greater drivetrain loss because it takes more effort to rotate the wheels.

www.KayaniTravel.com

JYODER240

Quote from: Kayani_1 on April 27, 2007, 06:15:10 PM
Once again the 19" wheels vs 22" wheels and there distance from the hub is equal in this case and thus the example might work for after market brake kits but doesnot work for the wheels as they both are equal distance from the hub and the 22" have greater offset thus more of their mass is toward the inside and center of the car then the 19" which have less of an offset and carry more of their weight towards the outside of the car. :ohyeah:

You're not understanding. Its a bigger wheel its 22" vs. 19" it has to be further from the hub. 1.5" on each side.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Kayani_1 on April 27, 2007, 05:35:58 PM
Actually you are being extra ignorant by calling me ignorant without doing any research. I did plenty of research  before I bought the wheels/tires so before you decided to make a comment without even knowing the full details call yourself ignorant not me.  :confused:

The weight difference of tires is almost negligible because stock 245/45/19 front & 275/40/19 rear in Pirelli P Zero Rosso is 29 Ib for front &  31 Ib for rear. Where as the new tires 265/30/22 front & 295/25/22 rear in Pirelli P Zero Nero is 30 Ib and 32 Ib. The difference is so small that it is negligible even by itself. However, like I said my new wheels are custom forged 3 piece vs one entire mold of cast alloy type construction for stock Bmw wheels. Without a doubt the custom 3 piece forged are lighter by a significant margin then stock BMW 19" wheels.

When I went for purchase I wanted to keep the weight more or less same as stock 19" BMW wheels/tires. The stock Bmw 19" are single cast alloy type wheels. Thus to reduce the weight of my new 22" wheels I went with custom 3 piece forged wheels. Which are the lightest and best quality wheels in market and cost nearly $6K.

The lighter 3 piece custom forged wheels compared to stock cast alloy single piece 19" BMW wheels are much lighter. For example, take a 19" X 9.5" cast alloy OEM BMW stock wheel which weighs nearly 29 Ibs. While a slightly larger 19" X 10"  3 piece custom forged wheel weighs only 18 Ibs despite being slightly larger in size. So I hope you are getting the overall picture. My 22" wheels weigh arround 24-25 Ibs which are 4 to 5 Ib lighter per wheel then the 19" stock wheels and the difference between tires is only 1 Ib per tire. So in reality I have shaved off nearly 3 to 4 Ibs per wheel. Which means that I have overall reduced the unsprung weight by 14 Ibs overall. ;)

So please before calling me ignornat look at your own self as you fit the bill more then I do :evildude:

Let's see here....

Is 30lbs > 29lbs? Yes...   An extra 2lbs of tire weight in front (the effects of which, since it is further formthe center of rotation, is magnificed even greater than wheel weight)

Is 31lbs > 30lbs? Yes... Another extra 2lbs of tire weight in the rear.

Was I right, or was I right?

Now perhaps the lightness of the wheels negates the increase in tire weight, but don't call me ignorant!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 27, 2007, 06:18:30 PM
You're not understanding. Its a bigger wheel its 22" vs. 19" it has to be further from the hub. 1.5" on each side.

Your point is good, because the concentration of mass is farther from the center of rotation.
Also, his new tires are even a bit taller in overall diameter, spreading the mass even further out, while giving the brakes and drivetrain a tougher workout at the sametime.

Not that I'm trying to pick on you, Kayani, but I'm just making a point here.  ;)

1 BAD 7

Once again you are not understanding the entire plus sizing concept. The overall diameter of wheel and tire stays appx. the same.  :banghead: :confused:

As in this case the overall diameter of 19" wheels with 275/40 size rears is appx. 24.5 inches where as the 22" wheels have overall diameter of 25 inches. The difference is nearly negligible. So the overall distance from hub on each side is no where near 1.5" for the entire wheel/tire package.

So overall with greater offset and deeper setting and lighter weight the advantage is still with the newer set of 22" wheels vs the stock 19" wheels.

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 27, 2007, 06:18:30 PM

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

With all due respect you are the one who called me ignorant first without knowing the entire details so maybe you should take your own advice.

Oh and 2 Ibs in front and 2 Ibs in rear equal 4 Ibs all together for the bigger tires. Where as the bigger wheels are lighter at each corner by 4 Ibs in front and 5 Ibs in rear which is all together 18 Ibs. I am not trying to pick on you either but maybe your math is weak. ;)

So overall 18-4 = 14 Ibs advantage in favor of 22" setup vs 19" setup and your whole theory of mass being further away from hub makes no sense as the overall diameter is nearly the same as that is the basics of any plus sizing cocept. So please go research on the matter before you accuse me of being ignorant and going with heavier wheels and tires. Oh and it would be nicer if you would bring your own original argument rather then stealing his flawed argument in this specific case. :lol:

Bottom line is the 22" setup is overall lighter period and is set more deeper due to greater offset thus making the mass more centeralized. So your and his overall arguement are flawed and you are just pulling the skin of some hair to save face at this point. :partyon:

Quote from: NACar on April 27, 2007, 06:47:02 PM
Let's see here....

Is 30lbs > 29lbs? Yes...? ?An extra 2lbs of tire weight in front (the effects of which, since it is further formthe center of rotation, is magnificed even greater than wheel weight)

Is 31lbs > 30lbs? Yes... Another extra 2lbs of tire weight in the rear.

Was I right, or was I right?

Now perhaps the lightness of the wheels negates the increase in tire weight, but don't call me ignorant!

www.KayaniTravel.com