The 10 most costliest cars to repair

Started by 1 BAD 7, May 05, 2007, 12:44:26 PM

1 BAD 7

The 10 cars with the most expensive collision losses, starting with the most expensive, from 2002 to 2004 figures from the Highway Loss Data Institute are:

Most expensive models to insure:

1.  Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

2.  Mercedes CL-Class

3.  Dodge SRT-4

4.  Subaru Impreza WRX

5.  Jaguar XK (convertible)

6.  Lexus IS 300

7. Honda S2000

8.  Acura RSX

9.  Nissan 350Z

10.  Jaguar XJ

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

ifcar

Is it most expensive to repair, or most expensive to insure?

1 BAD 7

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

sandertheshark

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on May 05, 2007, 01:00:57 PM
I don't think there's a direct correlation.

It's probably pretty loose.

Insurance comes from (if we leave the driver out of this for the moment) location, crash records, thefts and size of claims, right?  I must be oversimplifying it, but I imagine that if you pair high crash rates with high repair costs, there would be a high instance of high cost claims, which would then lead to higher insurance premiums.  I always thought that was one of the reasons 911s are so cheap to insure.  No one crashes them. 

Without more information on how this study is done (if it's repair costs/crashes, then the severity of crashes could throw off calculations.  I imagine more people slam Evos into something big than just back into guardrails and posts), I can't really be sure of much anything.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Wow, quite a few "mainstreamers" (high performance) on that list.  :confused:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

1 BAD 7

I think there is. The more costly a car is to repair the greater it will cost to insure.

Quote from: sandertheshark on May 05, 2007, 01:00:57 PM
I don't think there's a direct correlation.

www.KayaniTravel.com

JYODER240

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on May 05, 2007, 01:22:44 PM
I think there is. The more costly a car is to repair the greater it will cost to insure.

So its going to cost more to repair a RSX than an S550?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

sandertheshark

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on May 05, 2007, 01:22:44 PM

How often do you have to repair it?  What are the accident rates?  Theft rates?  how likely is it to be driven aggressively?  How about the quality, mechanical reliability?  Manufacturer recall history?  All those factors determine insurance rates.  It's not directly tied to how much it costs for one trip to the body shop.

1 BAD 7

Depends on how bad each is wrecked. Also the driving habits of people that own these type of cars.

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 05, 2007, 01:24:10 PM
So its going to cost more to repair a RSX than an S550?

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

All those factors you mentioned in combination with how costly it is to repair and how often will determine the insurance rates. Thus all of them are directly correlated to one another.

Quote from: sandertheshark on May 05, 2007, 01:25:48 PM
How often do you have to repair it?? What are the accident rates?? Theft rates?? how likely is it to be driven aggressively?? How about the quality, mechanical reliability?? Manufacturer recall history?? All those factors determine insurance rates.? It's not directly tied to how much it costs for one trip to the body shop.

www.KayaniTravel.com

The Pirate

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on May 05, 2007, 12:44:26 PM
The 10 cars with the most expensive collision losses, starting with the most expensive, from 2002 to 2004 figures from the Highway Loss Data Institute are:

Most expensive models to insure:

9.  Nissan 350Z

Hey Yoder, I'm glad I don't drive a 350Z.            :evildude:

:lol:

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raghavan

93JC

Quote from: Raghavan on May 05, 2007, 04:32:53 PM
Why is an SRT-4 hard to repair?

More collisions, more spectacular collisions. It not 'hard' to repair, but per capita they're repaired more often, almost certainly because of the 'b0i r4c3rs' who drive them. Same with the Lancer Evolution, WRX, RSX, S2000 and 350Z, undoubtedly.

Raghavan

Quote from: 93JC on May 05, 2007, 04:35:38 PM
More collisions, more spectacular collisions. It not 'hard' to repair, but per capita they're repaired more often, almost certainly because of the 'b0i r4c3rs' who drive them. Same with the Lancer Evolution, WRX, RSX, S2000 and 350Z, undoubtedly.
Oh, i thought Kayani was talking about the absolute cost to repair them.
Makes sense.

Atomic

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 05, 2007, 01:20:37 PM
Wow, quite a few "mainstreamers" (high performance) on that list.? :confused:

perhaps it has to do to the age of the driver of the youth oriented cars and how hard they are driven. unless, of course, the vehicles were tested in a controlled environment  :huh: ? interesting list.

850CSi

Link?

It makes sense, actually... If only because some of the cars on that list are very likely to get into an accident given they way they're meant to be driven.

JYODER240

Quote from: The Pirate on May 05, 2007, 04:29:12 PM

Hey Yoder, I'm glad I don't drive a 350Z.? ? ? ? ? ? :evildude:

:lol:

I'm glad I don't pay for the insurance :lol: :mask:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

MX793

This isn't a list of the costliest to repair vehicles, it's a list of the vehicles that insurance companies pay out the most money to repair.  There's a difference.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ChrisV

Quote from: MX793 on May 06, 2007, 09:19:49 AM
This isn't a list of the costliest to repair vehicles, it's a list of the vehicles that insurance companies pay out the most money to repair.  There's a difference.

A HUGE difference. Insurance companies never repair a broken engine, or a malfunctioning window regulator, or a skipping transmission... I can imagine that replacing an engine on a Ferrari to be a tad more expensive that repairing the front of a crashed Evo.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...