Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Laconian

Quote from: Rockraven on September 10, 2019, 08:25:59 PM
It's the image of your parents, hugging in grief as you drive off the cliff you didn't see, and the airbag blasts an iPad through your skull.

LOL
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Detailing a truck today and found a spare headlight bulb in one of these cases...genius.  Never seen one before.

NomisR

It's only a matter of time when we have cars with no windshield and just giant monitors in place of it. 

12,000 RPM

BSOD will take on a whole new meaning.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: NomisR on September 11, 2019, 01:55:51 PM
It's only a matter of time when we have cars with no windshield and just giant monitors in place of it. 

I'm sure you're being at least a bit sarcastic, but I don't think that'll ever happen.  People generally like to have windows while traveling in a vehicle.  Being enclosed and moving with no sense of where you are or what's going on around you is unnerving. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 11, 2019, 01:59:39 PM
I'm sure you're being at least a bit sarcastic, but I don't think that'll ever happen.  People generally like to have windows while traveling in a vehicle.  Being enclosed and moving with no sense of where you are or what's going on around you is unnerving. 

Oh, the monitors will project a real-time 360 view of the outside world, so no worries.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 11, 2019, 01:59:39 PM

Yeah, but when I see something like this..

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/12/emirates-virtual-windows/

This could very well be reality in cars too.  Could be a 360 degrees monitor that you can see all around you even.  It'll at least show up on concept cars within 10 years, or more realistically, self driving people movers.

giant_mtb

Quote from: NomisR on September 11, 2019, 02:09:15 PM
Yeah, but when I see something like this..

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/12/emirates-virtual-windows/

This could very well be reality in cars too.  Could be a 360 degrees monitor that you can see all around you even.  It'll at least show up on concept cars within 10 years, or more realistically, self driving people movers.

Rich urbanites eat that bullshit up because they've never spent a day outside of a metropolis. Those of us in the real (rural) world do not.

CaminoRacer

Screens instead of windows is not very cost efficient
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Screens and distracted drivers make me want to FYA out of automobiledom.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Anyone get a kick out of a Tesla driver asleep at the wheel being national news... But nobody points out the driver holding his phone taking a video of it in his non autonomous car going 60mph in traffic?

Oh that's right, cell phones are fine for driving
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 11, 2019, 08:24:40 PM
Rich urbanites eat that bullshit up because they've never spent a day outside of a metropolis. Those of us in the real (rural) world do not.
They probably fly more though

But in any case flying is way different from riding in a car.

Quote from: r0tor on September 12, 2019, 04:15:50 AM
Anyone get a kick out of a Tesla driver asleep at the wheel being national news... But nobody points out the driver holding his phone taking a video of it in his non autonomous car going 60mph in traffic?

I keep seeing this more and more on the internet... you do realize more than one thing can be bad right?

And I would say someone literally asleep at the wheel for miles and miles is much more dangerous than someone driving and recording a video for a few seconds.

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on September 12, 2019, 04:15:50 AM

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 12, 2019, 05:01:10 AM

And I would say someone literally asleep at the wheel for miles and miles is much more dangerous than someone driving and recording a video for a few seconds.

Texting takes a few seconds and has caused massive amounts of deaths.

Do you think instead of digging out your phone, launching the camera app, and then start recording (while driving) - fthe person could have blown their horn a few times to wake the person up? What is the thought process?  Hey I am worried he of kill someone - to instead of waking him up let's record it and post it on social media!

WTF
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 12, 2019, 07:56:22 AM

Do you think instead of digging out your phone, launching the camera app, and then start recording (while driving) - fthe person could have blown their horn a few times to wake the person up? What is the thought process?  Hey I am worried he of kill someone - to instead of waking him up let's record it and post it on social media!

WTF
2 wrongs don't make a right... I'm not exonerating the clout chasing camera man

But just because he's wrong doesn't mean the Tesla sleepers aren't way more wrong.

Soup DeVille

WTF

Quote from: MrH on September 12, 2019, 07:30:21 AM

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

WTF

In an interview with the guy who took the video...he said he tried honking the horn to wake them up.  Didn't work.

r0tor

Yea... I'd like to see the horn blowing on video

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on September 12, 2019, 08:50:43 AM
Yea... I'd like to see the horn blowing on video

Wait so now you want them to record for another 10 seconds?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 12, 2019, 08:51:26 AM
Wait so now you want them to record for another 10 seconds?

Sure... Why not

Was it a short blow of the horn... a long blow... Severval blows.... Did it happen at all?   I'd like to see/hear about their horn blowing technique

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 11, 2019, 09:52:42 PM
Screens instead of windows is not very cost efficient

In the name of safety?  surrounded by a steel cage.. then again you'll still be crashing into a screen in the event of an accident unless they can make the images projected onto a soft screen instead. 

NomisR

WTF

It's not that hard to do it though.  My phone would be mounted near my steering wheel anyways, grab it, double tap the power button, swipe left and tap volume button while holding the phone up to the window.  I can do all this without even looking away from the road and only taking one hand away from the steering wheel.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 12, 2019, 08:53:35 AM
Sure... Why not

Was it a short blow of the horn... a long blow... Severval blows.... Did it happen at all?   I'd like to see/hear about their horn blowing technique
Why are you doing this?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 12, 2019, 11:13:16 AM
Why are you doing this?

Its vitally important he knows the duration of the blow.

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on September 10, 2019, 08:25:59 PM
It's the image of your parents, hugging in grief as you drive off the cliff you didn't see, and the airbag blasts an iPad through your skull.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 12, 2019, 11:57:54 AM
Its vitally important he knows the duration of the blow.

Duration AND technique  :nono:

giant_mtb

Annoying (poor) design.

Lincoln MKT with power-folding 3rd row.  If the vehicle hasn't been on in X amount of time, the buttons to fold the rear seats do nothing.  Not even if you activate the power tailgate first to "wake it up."  So, you have to get the key fob, go push the stop/start button, and wake up the electronics.  Then you can fold/stow the 3rd row.

Little things. :rage: