The death of Goober at the gas station.

Started by shp4man, October 24, 2015, 01:47:52 PM

shp4man

As an auto technician, sometimes you sense that customers wished getting a car repaired was more  like Goober at the gas station in Mayberry with Andy and Barn and Aunt Bee.
Unfortunately,Goober's been dead for a while now and he's never coming back. The reason isn't because we mechanics are all greedy assholes, it's because all the support people around us, (parts people, repair insurance people, the car companies, the people that sell service work, our managers),  are generally greedy as hell, and reach into our pockets on a daily basis.
We techs can't afford to stop and give out free advice, put in tailight bulbs, say "We didn't find the problem, so no charge!", and all the other things Goober did. We only get paid by the job, and multiple forces are trying to cut our pay on a daily basis.
What got me thinking about this was a new service writer they hired who hadn't done it since the '80's. He actually looked hurt when he asked if I could do something for no charge. Back in the '90's, we were paid enough to give a little. No more.
I told him " Sorry, man, Goober died years ago, and he won't be coming back".