ALPHA.... I mean Alfa!!!!!

Started by r0tor, October 12, 2018, 05:19:56 PM

r0tor

I'm just not sure I can handle that much alpha in my alfa
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 26, 2018, 02:48:44 PM
What tires come on it?

All seasons... and not even high performance ones (Pirelli Centurion P7 all season run flats). 

Giulia might be able to flip the world upside down with a set of PS4's
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2018, 02:31:10 PM
I suggest you do, that way when it breaks down you can blame it on the aftermarket tune, not the Alfaness of your Alfa.

:lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on October 26, 2018, 04:15:02 PM
All seasons... and not even high performance ones (Pirelli Centurion P7 all season run flats). 

Giulia might be able to flip the world upside down with a set of PS4's

I think that's what my A4 came stock with.  Not great, but not bad.  Didn't last all that long, though, and I'm not an aggressive driver.  Switched to Bridgestone Ecopias for the second set, and those were equally unremarkable.  Both (well, and the AWD) tackled 300+ inch winters just fine.

r0tor

2 months and ~2k miles report!!!!

- I still haven't broken down or been stranded!
- averaging around 30mpg including ~8 minutes a day of idling with the kiddo at the bus stop
- a brief snow test in 6-7" of unplowed snow proved very positive
- still love everything about it - the surge of power and ride/handling matches the great looks
- I'm sort of getting use to the engine/exhaust sounds and starting to appreciate it a bit more

On the mega negative side my wife pointed out today that it looks like someone hit the damn thing in the parking lot at work.  :lockedup: :lockedup: :rage:
Huge scuff and scratches on the passenger side front corner.  I was able to buff out all the marks and the white metallic really hides the scratches well.  I'm still super pissed off though - might contact our security guys at work and see if they can find my car getting hit as it had to happen this week.  Since i always back in to park, I assume someone next to me pulled out of the parking spot and cut things too short and clipped my car.  :banghead:

AutobahnSHO

Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on December 01, 2018, 03:43:35 PM
2 months and ~2k miles report!!!!

- I still haven't broken down or been stranded!
- averaging around 30mpg including ~8 minutes a day of idling with the kiddo at the bus stop
- a brief snow test in 6-7" of unplowed snow proved very positive
- still love everything about it - the surge of power and ride/handling matches the great looks
- I'm sort of getting use to the engine/exhaust sounds and starting to appreciate it a bit more

On the mega negative side my wife pointed out today that it looks like someone hit the damn thing in the parking lot at work.  :lockedup: :lockedup: :rage:
Huge scuff and scratches on the passenger side front corner.  I was able to buff out all the marks and the white metallic really hides the scratches well.  I'm still super pissed off though - might contact our security guys at work and see if they can find my car getting hit as it had to happen this week.  Since i always back in to park, I assume someone next to me pulled out of the parking spot and cut things too short and clipped my car.  :banghead:

Has it broken down between that post and right now?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

mzziaz

Oh, that sucks.

Glad you enjoy your car, though. The Giulia is really starting to grow on me.
Cuore Sportivo

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 01, 2018, 07:28:02 PM
Has it broken down between that post and right now?

Now wait... Let me check

AutobahnSHO

Will

r0tor

I tried to break it today... Tried a messed up Obd2 app that made the instrument panel go ape shit with errors... I think it momentarily screwed up the CAN bus

... But it still works...

giant_mtb

Why do you want some janky app when you can get a plug-in scanner with live data for like $36.

r0tor

Janky app had possibility of accessing a bunch of different modules allowing things to be customized.

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on December 02, 2018, 04:53:22 PM
I tried to break it today... Tried a messed up Obd2 app that made the instrument panel go ape shit with errors... I think it momentarily screwed up the CAN bus

... But it still works...

Turn it off and on again and it should be fine. Unless you flashed the computer. Which would take some work..?...

I like the Torque app but you need a reader.
Will

r0tor

This was beyond what torque app can do... More like vagcom for VWs or coding shit on bmws

cawimmer430

Does it have Start/Stop, and can you turn that stuff off?  :tounge:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

Yea, there is an easy on/off button by the headlight switch to turn the start/stop off.  It generally doesn't annoy me too badly since I'm not in a lot of traffic.

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on December 05, 2018, 05:56:39 PM
Yea, there is an easy on/off button by the headlight switch to turn the start/stop off.  It generally doesn't annoy me too badly since I'm not in a lot of traffic.

Does it stay off or does it automatically turn back on when you restart the car?

r0tor

It turns itself back on every startup. I read alot of people hit the button as soon as they hit the ignition button...

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on December 06, 2018, 06:13:14 AM
It turns itself back on every startup. I read alot of people hit the button as soon as they hit the ignition button...
It becomes a reflex.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

Who did the electronics for this car? The Italians? My God, don't try to hack the ECM/PCM.  The damn thing probably lists for $2 grand.

r0tor

Magnetti Marelli... and it's very mod friendly  :lol:

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 06, 2018, 09:32:42 AM
It becomes a reflex.

At least the lane assist stays off if you want it off, as does the forward collision stuff... So you don't completely look like a pilot preparing for flight flipping switches like crazy

r0tor

Came across this... Great nerd level detail on the suspension, brakes, and drive train design that make the Giulia so fantastic to drive
https://enzari.com/2018/11/alfa-romeo-reveal-driving-dynamics-secrets/

For instance - these active shock curves are a wet dream of low shock speed control (ie performance) mixed with high speed comfort (ie ride quality)

Eye of the Tiger

I am sure the active dampers damp, but what is the effective passive damping rate of the plastic sway bar endlinks?

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on December 05, 2018, 05:56:39 PM

I always switch off my Start/Stop button. I wish I could have this feature removed but in Germany that's considered tax evasion for some reason...

I mean, my car will use a little more fuel if this system is turned off and over 60% of the fuel price is government tax. Why are they complaining!? :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie