Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Laconian

Gotta boot Windows first.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on September 13, 2019, 11:07:55 AM
Gotta boot Windows first.

Oddly enough, the windows work. Maybe he has to boot Seats.?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 13, 2019, 11:20:15 AM

Microsoft Windows for Seats, Mobility Edition for Home and Small Businesses
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 13, 2019, 11:20:15 AM

That one took me longer than it should've... :facepalm: :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 13, 2019, 11:00:59 AM
Annoying (poor) design.

Lincoln MKT with power-folding 3rd row.  If the vehicle hasn't been on in X amount of time, the buttons to fold the rear seats do nothing.  Not even if you activate the power tailgate first to "wake it up."  So, you have to get the key fob, go push the stop/start button, and wake up the electronics.  Then you can fold/stow the 3rd row.

Little things. :rage:
No doubt a design/safety feature.  The adjustments on my front seats even don't work if it has been 'off' for a period of time.  Not too sure how long the period of time is, but it's not that long.  Don't want anyone/kids farting around in the car when you're not around.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 13, 2019, 11:43:16 AM
No doubt a design/safety feature.  The adjustments on my front seats even don't work if it has been 'off' for a period of time.  Not too sure how long the period of time is, but it's not that long.  Don't want anyone/kids farting around in the car when you're not around.

Yes, that is also annoying.  I vacuum from passenger front > rear pass. > cargo/trunk > rear driver......by the time I get to rear driver, the electronics will have usually timed out so I can't move the driver's seat forward out of the way without having to go grab the keys. :rage:

And I don't like to carry people's keys/fobs in my pocket because I don't like having things in my pockets when I'm working so I don't fuck 'em up as I go full contortionist detailin' and stuff. :lol:

CaminoRacer

It might shut off after a while to reduce the battery drain.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 13, 2019, 11:00:59 AM
Annoying (poor) design.

Lincoln MKT with power-folding 3rd row.  If the vehicle hasn't been on in X amount of time, the buttons to fold the rear seats do nothing.  Not even if you activate the power tailgate first to "wake it up."  So, you have to get the key fob, go push the stop/start button, and wake up the electronics.  Then you can fold/stow the 3rd row.

Little things. :rage:
Something about that isn't right... wifey's ancient MKX has a power tailgate that works no matter what
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 13, 2019, 03:03:38 PM
Something about that isn't right... wifey's ancient MKX has a power tailgate that works no matter what

Uhhh. Read my post again. :hmm:

dazzleman

I took my car in for servicing today and got use of a loaner - a 2019 Audi A6.

It's interesting that Audi seems to be going down a similar path to BMW.  My first BMW (2001 5-series) was very light and nimble and drove great, and while my 2006 update drove well, it had a heavier and less sporty feel than the first one.  When I test drove BMWs in 2013, they had made the feel of the cars heavier still.

As soon as I test drove the 2014 Audi, I knew I wanted it, because it reminded me so much of my first BMW.  I loved the way that car drove and I love the way the 2014 Audi drives.  The 2019 Audi reminded me a lot of my 2006 BMW - It has a much heavier and more sluggish feel to it.

I'm not sure what I will do when it's time for a new car.  My car just passed 40,000 miles so I don't expect to be in the market for a new car any times soon, especially since I really like the way my car drives and it seems to be holding up really well.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on September 13, 2019, 05:45:02 PM

It's interesting that Audi seems to be going down a similar path to BMW.  My first BMW (2001 5-series) was very light and nimble and drove great, and while my 2006 update drove well, it had a heavier and less sporty feel than the first one.  When I test drove BMWs in 2013, they had made the feel of the cars heavier still.

As soon as I test drove the 2014 Audi, I knew I wanted it, because it reminded me so much of my first BMW.  I loved the way that car drove and I love the way the 2014 Audi drives.  The 2019 Audi reminded me a lot of my 2006 BMW - It has a much heavier and more sluggish feel to it.

I'm not sure what I will do when it's time for a new car.  My car just passed 40,000 miles so I don't expect to be in the market for a new car any times soon, especially since I really like the way my car drives and it seems to be holding up really well.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

I'm not sure what I will do when it's time for a new car. My car just passed 40,000 miles so I don't expect to be in the market for a new car any times soon, especially since I really like the way my car drives and it seems to be holding up really well.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

shp4man

CALL_911

Keep in mind that loaner may have had a 2.0T which could contribute to the sluggishness

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 14, 2019, 01:24:23 AM
Keep in mind that loaner may have had a 2.0T which could contribute to the sluggishness

It wasn't slow, really.   It just didn't feel as light and nimble.  I should have put it in sport mode.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: shp4man on September 13, 2019, 09:52:23 PM
Investment!  ;)

I keep toying with the idea of a classic car like that as a second car.  That would be high up on my list.  So far,  my practical side has won out.  As far as classic cars go, the GTO is one of my favoritrs.  442!  Pure gutteral American power.

dazzleman

12,000 RPM

If you like sporty... maybe go a size smaller? S5 Sportback :ohyeah:

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 14, 2019, 08:26:16 AM
If you like sporty... maybe go a size smaller? S5 Sportback :ohyeah:

I love the S5 but a 2-door car isn't really practical since I only have one car and I take passengers sometimes.  But maybe an S6?  When the times comes, I'm going to test drive a few different options.

12,000 RPM

The sportback is a 4 door with a hatchback. Nguyen Nguyen!

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on September 14, 2019, 09:11:52 AM
I love the S5 but a 2-door car isn't really practical since I only have one car and I take passengers sometimes.  But maybe an S6?  When the times comes, I'm going to test drive a few different options.
Are you going to test drive some Mercedes?  Wimmer could advise you.

Eye of the Tiger

What is this?

4.3L EcoTec3 V6 engine
5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine
2.7L Turbo engine
6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine
3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel I6 engine

It is the engine lineup for the 2020 Silverado 1500. Some very agreeable engines. However, note that they were very careful not to advertise the shameful inline four cylinder configuration of the "2.7L Turbo engine" anywhere on their website. It is always just a "Turbo engine"

12,000 RPM

It's an I4??? I thought it was a 2.7L turbine. LAWSUIT

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 14, 2019, 10:12:21 AM
Are you going to test drive some Mercedes?  Wimmer could advise you.

I like the Mercedes convertibles but I'm not crazy about their regular cars.

Morris Minor

I'm in eastern NC, quite mountainous. Yesterday's the CR-V's AWD actually kicked in. I was parked on a super steep loose rock trail and the back wheels did their thing to get me moving.
Coming up to two years of ownership and AWD used for 2.5 seconds.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

12,000 RPM

For me, AWD is worth it over FWD just to avoid the embarrassment of peeling out from aggressive throttle stomps

It's very system dependent though. I think I've got my wife's car to chirp despite its AWD

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 15, 2019, 08:30:10 AM
I'm in eastern NC, quite mountainous. Yesterday's the CR-V's AWD actually kicked in. I was parked on a super steep loose rock trail and the back wheels did their thing to get me moving.
Coming up to two years of ownership and AWD used for 2.5 seconds.

:lol:

Galaxy

I am a bit disappointed that Alpina kept the Grill for the 7 Series. Since their theme is understatement, I was hoping that they would "fix" this. However as an independent company that can sell their products via BMW dealerships, and use BMW production lines, they probably felt it would be to much of a slap in the face.

cawimmer430

Created a personalized theme for my car (A/C, radio, suspension, engine mode etc. settings) and called it...  :lol: :winkguy: :pullover:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie