Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Speed_Racer

I went to put on my helmet this morning and the little spoiler that sticks out the back is gone. It must have flown off during a recent ride. It's a good excuse to go helmet shopping though, the high-viz has faded and I'm looking for something white to keep my head cooler in the sun.

12,000 RPM

You should be replacing them periodically anyway. At least according to the motorcycle helmet industry :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Speed_Racer

I swap mine every five years, this one is just over three. But I found they sell the little winglet separate for $10 so I may just do that until I find something I really like on end-of-season clearance.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 19, 2018, 07:55:05 AM
Here you go:
http://a.co/eBOF4At

That is ... a possible option haha

SVT_Power

I was just thinking today I want to buy a new lid for next season...but choice is very limited for someone with a round head  :(

(pretty much means only HJC and Arai, so pretty much nothing mid-market)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Hey MX, what do you know about how freestyle bikes are set up?  Watchin' some X Games now and goddamn these dudes are nuts. They're so fluid on the machines.

Do they use stiffer suspension and such to take the big hits?  I imagine they're all on air shocks (front, anyway) so do they just get good valving and jack that shit up?  Or are they iust that good. hah

MX793

I haven't really heard much on freestyle setups.  I suspect they are similar to supercross setups, which are sprung/valved very stiff to soak up the big stuff.  Not sure if they are running air forks.  Some may be.  A lot of top racers were running them a few years ago and they were OEM equipment on several machines for a couple of years over the past 5 years (still are OEM on KTM and Huskie, Honda and Kawi went back to spring/oil forks).  The big advantage was primarily weight.  A number if pro racers reportedly didn't like the air forks because the were less communicative and normal weekend warriors didn't like them because they were harder to set up and adjust.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Got super close to dropping the bike this morning. I was quickly testing the voltage to figure out why it won't rev over 5k, so I started it up but forgot it was in gear. Luckily my thumb came off the button after 1-2 cranks and I caught it before it totally fell over. I think the peg touched but no painted surfaces were scratched.

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 28, 2018, 02:50:26 PM
Got super close to dropping the bike this morning. I was quickly testing the voltage to figure out why it won't rev over 5k, so I started it up but forgot it was in gear. Luckily my thumb came off the button after 1-2 cranks and I caught it before it totally fell over. I think the peg touched but no painted surfaces were scratched.

And this is why modern bikes have interlocks.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT_Power

Did about 400 miles on the SV today, that's almost as many miles as I've done on the bike before today.

The stock seat while not horrible, definitely leaves much to be desired. Otherwise, not too bad. Lower back is a little sore but no biggie.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Get some padded undershorts.  Game changer. 

shp4man

My wife lost her job, I might have to sell the Sportster for the bucks. I am dissappoint....

giant_mtb

Fresh air filter (much needed), a larger 14T front sprocket, and larger-platform foot pegs ordered.

Front sprocket should help its road manners...stock is 13T, and it's really buzzy over 55mph and I feel bad for the motor.  If I'm gonna get on the street, I wanna be able to cruise 60-65mph without guilt.  Some people go 15T, but I'm just gonna try 14 first.  It's only $14 for a sprocket, so if I don't like it, no biggie.  For all the trail riding I do, 15T might gear it up a bit too much for my liking.  With ~15hp, you gotta pick your battles. :lol:

Stock foot pegs are tiny, so a larger platform will really be nice.

CaminoRacer

I had a dream the other day in which I lowsided my bike not once, but twice. Do not like that dream.

12,000 RPM

I feel like I've missed the window for selling the bike this year. Debating getting some pants and doing a little commuting. Might as well enjoy all the shit I paid for

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 03, 2018, 07:03:09 AM
I feel like I've missed the window for selling the bike this year. Debating getting some pants and doing a little commuting. Might as well enjoy all the shit I paid for

Agreed. Ride it til it's not yours anymore. :rockon:

giant_mtb

Real-world review of an Alta electric bike.  20 miles per charge. *puke*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHllzbqRr0

giant_mtb

New countershaft sprocket makes big difference.  Lose the insane shortness of the first gear (both a plus and a minus, depending), but it helps stretch the bike out a lot.

Edit:  I forgot to tighten the shift lever bolt nice n tight...went for a 3-4 shift and there was nothing there a few miles into a ride.  FUCK.  Found the lever, but the bolt was long gone.  Hoping I can get a new lever in by Saturday...have a ride planned, soooo.  :facepalm:

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 07, 2018, 01:44:42 PM
Real-world review of an Alta electric bike.  20 miles per charge. *puke*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHllzbqRr0

They're built for motocross/supercross, not trail riding and Enduro.  20 miles is more than enough for a Moto at a local level amateur event.  Possibly 2 depending on the track and how many laps you run.  You may need to bring a generator to top off between Motos or if you race multiple classes.
Needs more Jiggawatts

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on August 08, 2018, 05:38:53 AM
They're built for motocross/supercross, not trail riding and Enduro.  20 miles is more than enough for a Moto at a local level amateur event.  Possibly 2 depending on the track and how many laps you run.  You may need to bring a generator to top off between Motos or if you race multiple classes.

I know, I know. And yeah, the guy in that video uses a generator to charge in the field. hah

giant_mtb

Found a bolt at Menards for my shifter.  Yay.

Got handlebar risers a while back, but the bolts they came with were shit, mostly 'cause the thread is incorrect.  Couldn't find any 8x1.25 bolts (which is what the stocks are) in the right length, 70mm, so I had to order some.  Menards only had up to 50mm and they aren't long enough.

giant_mtb

Bar risers make a difference.  Really dig it.

Got my first flat...cruisin' dirt roads...~25 miles from home...front end suddenly feels wobbly and loud...yup.  Flat.  Think I pinched it on a rock, no evidence of any intrusion of an object.

Speed_Racer

I did my second advanced riding course yesterday on the Triumph, the bike was a riot. It loves to dive into turns and with the wider powerband I could basically keep it in 3rd gear for the majority of track, aside from the straightaways. It is also way more comfortable than last year when I was on the SV.

Lots of gorgeous bikes in the class too - three different versions of the Panigale, a classic Ducati SS, an R1M, a GSX R400

12,000 RPM

Glad you had a blast! What track/trackday org? Do you have a 1 piece suit? Man I'd love to get back out on the track on a bike again. Just not mentally or financially ready yet.

Speed_Racer

This is out at the Utah Motorsports Campus just west of SLC. It's also where they host the Ford Performance school - part of the package (or at least used to be) when you buy an ST or GT350 etc. The school is run through the Utah sportbike assoc, but the curriculum was created by the California Yamaha Champion School ($$$$). At $200 for seven hours of training and instructor feedback, it's a steal.

I have a two piece suit w/ a 360 deg zip, maybe one day I'll splurge for a good 1-pc tracksuit. I'm considering joining their amateur racing league next year so it would be required.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Speed_Racer

The way it dropped its own kickstand and parks itself was neat!

shp4man

Sold the Sportster today. Only had enough fun money for one toy and chose 'Ol Blue. Distracted driving sent it over the top.

CaminoRacer

I'm trying to get mine running correctly so I can sell it. I get the same kicks from the El Camino and it's way more practical.