The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 23, 2018, 01:54:47 PM
Do you have a rug cleaner? (We have a thing that looks like a big vacuum cleaner that shoots water & detergent into the pile & sucks it out again.)

Yes.  I have a Mytee hot water extractor.  Same concept, just purpose built/industrial. 1000W in-line heater.

https://www.autogeek.net/mytee-hot-water-extractor.html

Mine is the generation before that one, but it's essentially the same.  Had to replace the solution pump once because it froze (my fault for leaving it out) and cracked a seal and I've gone through a few attachments (to be expected), but its been great otherwisr.

Submariner

Do you have an Instagram account by any chance?

These before and after shots would make for good posts.  Learn how to tag properly, perhaps use a service to build followers and run some promos (for example, a 50% off detailing for the 1000th follower to your page), etc.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

I post all these before/after shots on my business FB page and most everyone has both as it is.  I suppose I could create an Insta for it as well and just connect them.

Just one more social media account to manage though...ugh.  And hashtags annoy the fuck out of me. :fogey:

giant_mtb

sneak peak at the police vehicle.  it's done, just want to take pictures outside in the sun in the morning for the full before/after effect, as I took the before pics outside as well.

I'm 94% happy with it. 

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 25, 2018, 02:43:10 PM
I post all these before/after shots on my business FB page and most everyone has both as it is.  I suppose I could create an Insta for it as well and just connect them.

Just one more social media account to manage though...ugh.  And hashtags annoy the fuck out of me. :fogey:

Instagram drives far more "engagement" and is much better for advertising your business.  If you have to choose between the two, make an Instagram account and ditch FB.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on June 25, 2018, 11:21:32 PM
Instagram drives far more "engagement" and is much better for advertising your business.  If you have to choose between the two, make an Instagram account and ditch FB.

I'm inclined to disagree.  My main demographic is middle aged and seniors...they're not on Insta hashtagging.

Like I said, I could make an Insta for it and simply link them.  Couldn't hurt.

giant_mtb

Little overcast this morning, but she came out nice.  The power of machine buffing!

FoMoJo

Amazing.  How long did that take?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 26, 2018, 08:13:48 AM
Amazing.  How long did that take?

About 7 hours, including a quick interior spruce-up.  The buffing process itself was probably 3.5-4 of those hours.

giant_mtb

Another pearly white Silverado today.

giant_mtb

RX350.  Nice vehicle.  I'm a big Toyota fan (obviously), and the Lexus touches and quality are quite nice.  What are these based on?  Rav-4?

(didn't take any before pictures...it was already pretty clean...she'd just got it a couple weeks ago)

mzziaz

Do you ever do any prewash, like nerta?
Cuore Sportivo

giant_mtb

Not really, no. Closest I get to a prewash soak is when I apply degreaser or brightener to stuff before washing. Does the job.

giant_mtb

Some other vehicles from this week...had a solid week, met a number of new, nice people and did some work for some long-timers as well.

Really like the green on this Rav4.

This van is siiiiick.  Totally loaded up.  Would be an awesome road tripper.  They'd recently got back from a trip to Florida with the grandkids...thankfully the interior wasn't dirty at all by mini-van+kids standards.  Just really buggy on the front end, windshield, and side mirrors.  No real trick to de-bugging...just soak with degreaser, wash, rinse, and repeat as necessary.  The mirrors and windshield came clean with one pass, the front bumper/grille took two. 

giant_mtb

Also ordered a new electric pressure washer as mine shit out like a month ago.  Gonna use it just for the final rinse with the water coming from the CR filter system.  It'll use less water than the standard hose, allowing for longer filter life.  Got this one, with relatively low pressure and low flow (by pressure washer standards).  Don't need anything crazy.  1,800psi at 1.2gpm.  I think Menards actually has these in stock, but the Amazon one click buy button got the better of me... :lol:

Let's hope it lasts!  It should, it'll be fairly light, but daily use.  Only thing is they're so fuckin' annoying to listen to, especially in the confines of a garage.  I thought about maybe building a big sound-proof-ish box for it... :lol:

http://a.co/e8NhaPi

giant_mtb

Kota providing moral support after washing mom's Q5.  Was 90+ degrees today with high humidity.  He even sun-bathed for a bit...fuckin' trooper.  He's my best friend.  100% adventure pal.

Morris Minor

What do you use for a degreaser for front bug splatter?

When I cleaned up the Prius I'm selling (https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=488752596), I washed it first then used some old foul-smelling Simoniz bug & tar remover I found in the garage. I resorted to soaking a 00000 steel wool pad in the stuff.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

giant_mtb

I use Zep Industrial Purple degreaser. Available by the gallon at my local/favorite hardware store, Menards.  I seldom recommend using steel wool of any kind on paint. Better to soak/wash/rinse/repeat than to scrub with something that abrasive. Not too much to worry about on white paint (doesn't show much in the way of clear coat scratches, but).

Bug&tar removal products are pretty hit or miss.  Degreaser really is the way to go.  Dissolves bug guts like nothing else and has a multitude of other uses for your garage needs.

I use this for bugs, tires, and wheel wells. It's very dilutible. I dilute into a 32oz spray bottle. A little goes a long way (I think the recommendation is somewhere around 4-6oz per gallon for heavy soils...I usually do 2-3oz per spray bottle, so it's plenty strong).

It's great stuff.  Your local hardware store should have an equivalent. ~$10/gal.

giant_mtb

For the record, your Prius looks super clean. Good work to you or whoever detailed it (sounds like you did it?).  White paint can be tough.  Interior looks great, too.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 30, 2018, 08:27:34 AM
For the record, your Prius looks super clean. Good work to you or whoever detailed it (sounds like you did it?).  White paint can be tough.  Interior looks great, too.
Hey thanks. I will get a bottle of the degreaser - pretty sure they carry it at Home Depot (no Menards down here unfortunately.) The Prius was filthy - took a lot of washing, then a claybar job with a claybar mitt (love that thing) - it pulled a shit-ton more embedded grime out. Probably the most satisfying was cleaning the door jams - it makes such a difference to the way a car presents.
Nonetheless, elderly Prius's are difficult to sell. No responses so far to the Autotrader ad.

giant_mtb

Yeah, those clay bar mitts are amazing, eh?  Sliced bread.

Payman

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 30, 2018, 12:15:28 PM
Hey thanks. I will get a bottle of the degreaser - pretty sure they carry it at Home Depot (no Menards down here unfortunately.) The Prius was filthy - took a lot of washing, then a claybar job with a claybar mitt (love that thing) - it pulled a shit-ton more embedded grime out. Probably the most satisfying was cleaning the door jams - it makes such a difference to the way a car presents.
Nonetheless, elderly Prius's are difficult to sell. No responses so far to the Autotrader ad.

Probably anxiety over the age of the battery/electronics. First gen Leafs are basically worthless.

giant_mtb

Not super pleased with the CR Spotless.  I dunno if it's just 'cause our water here really sucks, or what, but I didn't get that much out of it before the meter spiked and I was getting spots again.  Maybe 12 washes?  Hardly 300 gallons worth, as advertised.  Sigh.  Only been using it for final rinsing, too, not the whole wash cycle.  I estimate the full wash uses 25-50 gallons depending on the vehicle.  Final rinse is like...3-5 gallons per?  Sigh.

Ordered new resin for the filters, should be here Friday.

giant_mtb

If anyone is looking for some wheel cleaner, I highly recommend this stuff.  And this is a sweet deal...2 gallons and a spray bottle for $43...normal price for one gallon is $24, so you'll get many, many wheel cleanings from the combo pack for a sweet price.  Stuff dilutes 4:1.  Was gonna buy some more myself and was like...uhhh...might as well get the two gallon deal!  Can always use more spray bottles. :rockon:

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-d140-combo.html

giant_mtb

I love when it's cloudy or shady in the morning...then sunny in the afternoon for the "after" pics...always enhances the effect. :lol:

giant_mtb

ALSO.  PRO TIP.

Whenever you order from Autogeek.net...use the promo code CD10 for 10% off your order.  I believe it's from Car & Driver wayyy back in the day...still works.  I use it every time.

giant_mtb

Got the fresh resin for the CR filters. Back to 0ppm. :rockon:

$90 though, goddamn!

Morris Minor

What are your least & most favorite vehicle makes & models to detail?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 21, 2018, 04:15:10 PM
What are your least & most favorite vehicle makes & models to detail?

I've been asked this before and I'm not sure I really have an answer, honestly.  My favorite cars are slightly dirty ones and my least favorites are disaster cars... :lol:

Toyota, Subaru, and GM trucks - for whatever reason - have some of my favorite paint. Toyo/Subie have some excellent, low-pile high-traffic style carpeting that comes clean easily...doesn't trap bullshit like a lot of thicker, more luxurious carpeting does.

Any FCA product more than a generation old......such piles of shit, and their condition typically reflects it.

I HATE GM for the seat rail system in the Traverse.  I dunno what they were thinking. If you have kids, the rails are gonna end up a sloppy, sticky mess and after a while you'll barely even be able to slide a seat fore/aft.  Ugh. 

Stow N Go is where it's at...one of the best and only things FCA does right.