Skoda Scala - The Affordable Audi A3 Sportback

Started by cawimmer430, December 12, 2018, 03:14:11 PM

cawimmer430

Exterior is decent, typical Skoda design cues. Interior looks pretty nice.

Skoda Scala Is Your Affordable Audi A3 Sportback

The teasing days are over as Skoda has finally lifted the veils of its all-new Scala, a vehicle that embodies the Czech brand's ambitions.

The Scala is not just an indirect replacement for the Rapid Spaceback, it's also Skoda's first real shot at the highly-competitive C-segment. We're talking about a car that's almost as big the VW Golf. It's 4,362 mm (171.7 in) long and 1,793 mm wide (70.6 in), making it a little shorter and narrower than the German compact segment benchmark.

However, it rides on a longer wheelbase of 2,649 mm (104.3 in) and is a little taller at 1,471 mm (56 in). That results in similar interior dimensions to the larger Skoda Octavia, including one of the biggest luggage compartments in the segment. The Scala's cargo capacity is 467 liters (16.5 cu ft) with all seats in place and 1,410 liters (50 cu ft) with the rear seats folded down.

More sophisticated both on the outside and especially inside

As the first Skoda model based on VW Group's MQB A0 platform, the Scala completely repositions the brand in the compact segment. It's also the first model to showcase the next development stage of the brand's design language. The new styling direction will be rolled out on future models as well.

Previewed by the Vision RS study earlier this year, the Skoda Scala visually bridges the gap between a traditional five-door hatchback and a wagon — much like the Audi A3 Sportback. Highlights include the triangular partial LED headlights (standard), sizable third lateral windows, and the extended rear screen that blends with the wraparound LED taillights with dynamic turn indicators (optional).

Over-the-air updates for the infotainment system software and navigation maps

The interior adopts a fresh approach as well thanks to a sleek dashboard dominated by a freestanding touchscreen display available in sizes ranging from 6.5 inches to 9.2 inches. There's also a 10.25-inch Virtual Cockpit available which works with the third generation of the MIB modular infotainment matrix.

Interestingly, the infotainment system software or maps can be updated over the air via Skoda Connect mobile online services, since the SCALA is always online thanks to a built-in eSIM with an LTE connection. Skoda Connect also allows users to lock and unlock the car via a mobile phone.

The cabin brings a new concept with soft materials, including a soft-foam surface with a texture resembling crystalline structures that covers the dashboard and optional microfiber Suedia upholstery. It also offers LED ambient lighting — albeit with only two available colors.

Five engine options with outputs ranging from 90 PS to 150 PS

At launch, the Scala will offer five turbocharged engine variants, ranging from 90 PS (89 hp) to 150 PS (148 hp). There are three gasoline units: an entry-level 1.0-liter TSI three-cylinder producing 95 PS (94 hp), a mid-range 1.0-liter TSI with 115 PS (113 hp) and a top-of-the-line 1.5-liter TSI four-cylinder that makes 150 PS (148 hp).

The lineup also includes a 1.6-liter TDI four-cylinder turbodiesel rated at 115 PS (113 hp) and 250 Nm (184 lb-ft) of torque. Finally, customers can choose a 90PS (89hp) 1.0-liter G-Tec unit that runs on natural gas (CNG). Transmission options include five- and six-speed manual and seven-speed dual-clutch units. The Sport Chassis Control with Normal or Sport driving modes is optional.

Safety-wise, the Scala offers standard Lane Assist and Front Assist with City Emergency Brake systems. Available driving assistance tech includes the Side Assist function, Adaptive Cruise Control, and Park Assist.

As for the proverbial "Simply Clever" features, the new compact hatchback brings an electric tailgate with "Tip-To-Close" function and a retractable tow bar. The all-new Skoda Scala will arrive in European dealerships in the first half of 2019.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/new-skoda-scala-affordable-audi-a3-sportback/

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Sportback, is that another name for hatchback?

It looks okay, but not very exciting.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Raza

I'd buy one, if it had AWD paired with a manual and 50 more horsepower.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 12, 2018, 03:19:08 PM
Sportback, is that another name for hatchback?

It looks okay, but not very exciting.

Audi calls their A3 5-Door the "Sportback". They also have that reference for their A5 5-Door.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on December 14, 2018, 06:52:02 AM

With the hysteria over here towards CO2 the future for performance cars with internal combustion engine looks grim.

Several political parties in Germany... well ALL, except for the AfD, want to introduce a "CO2 Tax" which will most likely raise gas prices as well as increase energy costs.

I'm so sick of the hysterical Social Justice Warrior morons in our government. For years now they've been making politics for the whole world, but not for us taxpayers. We already have a tax burden here of 60-70%.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Isn't an affordable A3 Sportback the Golf? :confused:

Quote from: Raza  on December 14, 2018, 06:52:02 AM
Isn't that the Golf R?

And the ridiculous "if only it had" game is my thing, stop encroaching on my territory :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 20, 2018, 11:02:11 AM
Isn't an affordable A3 Sportback the Golf? :confused:
Isn't that the Golf R?

I think this is more wagon-y and not as hatchback-y.  Skodas tend to be bigger and cheaper than their VW counterparts. 

EDIT:  It's only 3" longer than the Golf R.  But you're right, I should probably buy a Golf R.  Wait, do they still make the A4 Avant?  The sedan is still sold in manual with AWD.  And it has plenty of power.

And the ridiculous "if only it had" game is my thing, stop encroaching on my territory :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

They might still sell the Allroad; IDK. In any case, while I usually hate the whole "hatchbacks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> crossovers" thing, I think for you specifically it's the clear choice. Golf R 6MT. NOT a TT, or a Skoda Scala, or some other inferior Golf variant.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 27, 2018, 11:37:02 AM
They might still sell the Allroad; IDK. In any case, while I usually hate the whole "hatchbacks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> crossovers" thing, I think for you specifically it's the clear choice. Golf R 6MT. NOT a TT, or a Skoda Scala, or some other inferior Golf variant.

They do make the Allroad, but there's no manual in that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 27, 2018, 06:50:25 PM
Submit to the ZF8.

Never! I haven't regularly driven a car with a torque converter for 10 years. Jetta and Z4 are both manuals, S4 is DSG.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on December 29, 2018, 07:30:37 AM
Never! I haven't regularly driven a car with a torque converter for 10 years. Jetta and Z4 are both manuals, S4 is DSG.
You were a hop skip and jump away from buying a ZF8 equipped SQ5 not long ago if I recall. You still have the Z4 to retain your purist cred..... come to the dark side, it's really not that bad :devil:

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 29, 2018, 09:46:02 AM
You were a hop skip and jump away from buying a ZF8 equipped SQ5 not long ago if I recall. You still have the Z4 to retain your purist cred..... come to the dark side, it's really not that bad :devil:

Oh, yeah, I'm waiting for the new Q3 to see if I want to replace the S4 with that or the X1. In an SUV, I have no problems with an automatic. But the Allroad is a car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

My mom replaced her 3 wagon with an X1. It feels like a nice VW rather than a BMW, but solid car. I happen to like the size a lot. Not the most fun thing ever but def not a bad car

2004 S2000
2016 340xi