Nissan Leaf E+ Debuts With 214 HP And 226 Miles Of Range

Started by cawimmer430, January 09, 2019, 02:03:20 PM

cawimmer430

Nissan Leaf E+ Debuts With 214 HP And 226 Miles Of Range

The Nissan Leaf has a relatively short range of 150 miles (241 km), but the company is fixing that problem by unveiling the new Leaf e+ at CES.

Featuring a larger capacity 62 kWh lithium-ion battery pack, the Leaf e+ has an EPA-estimated range of up to 226 miles (363 km). This is 76 miles (122 km) more than the standard model and it should help to alleviate any lingering range anxiety.

Besides the improved battery, the Leaf e+ features an upgraded electric motor that produces 214 hp (160 kW / 217 PS) and 250 lb-ft (340 Nm) of torque. This is a significant improvement over the standard model which is rated at 147 hp (110 kW / 149 PS) and 236 lb-ft (319 Nm) of torque.

The extra power more than compensates for the upgraded battery as Nissan says the top speed has increased by approximately 10 percent. Accelerating from 50 mph (80 km/h) to 75 mph (120 km/h) is also nearly 13 percent quicker.

Sticking with the performance theme, Nissan confirmed the Leaf e+ will be available with a new 70 kW Quick Charging system which offers a peak output of 100 kW. The company didn't reveal detailed charging times, but said early testing revealed the quick charger can replenish the Leaf e+ nearly as fast as a 50 kW charger recharging the standard Leaf. This is a notable achievement as the Leaf e+ has a much larger battery capacity.

On the styling front, there isn't much to report as the Leaf e+ closely resembles the standard model. However, the long range cruiser is distinguished by 16-inch wheels and a revised front fascia with blue accents.

Inside, there's a larger 8-inch infotainment system which can be linked to compatible smartphones and receive over-the-air updates. The system also comes with an updated navigation system that can be synced to your phone to provide "door-to-door navigation" including walking directions.

In terms of safety, there's the ProPILOT Assist semi-autonomous driving system which can keep the car centered in its lane and automatically adjust its speed to match traffic. The Leaf e+ will also come standard with an assortment of driver assistance systems including Intelligent Lane Intervention, Lane Departure Warning, Intelligent Emergency Braking, Blind Spot Warning, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and an Intelligent Around View Monitor with moving object detection.

The Leaf e+ will go on sale in Japan later this month and European sales will begin in the middle of the year. US sales will start in the spring and there will be three different versions called the S PLUS, SV PLUS and SL PLUS.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/nissan-leaf-e-debuts-214-hp-226-miles-range/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BimmerM3

Oh, cool. That makes it a much better Bolt competitor.

Eye of the Tiger

The numbers are good, and the pictures are even good.
But I can't trust a modern Nissan product as far as I can throw it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Xer0

One of the really cool things that I love about electric cars is that they usually get more power AND more range.  With gas powered cars you get 700hp and single digit mpgs  :lol:

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

For short hops around the city I think an electric car makes sense. I'd love to have a Renault Zoe for that purpose.

I avoid short trips like the plague in my gasoline-powered car. When I start that engine I make sure to drive 20 km+.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on January 09, 2019, 03:03:51 PM
These batteries aren't liquid cooled.

Mega fail.

I hope they explode and Nissan gets sued so hard that they turn back into Datsun.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 09, 2019, 02:52:53 PM
For short hops around the city I think an electric car makes sense. I'd love to have a Renault Zoe for that purpose.

I avoid short trips like the plague in my gasoline-powered car. When I start that engine I make sure to drive 20 km+.

What kind of MPG's are you getting in the A?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on January 09, 2019, 05:59:43 PM
What kind of MPG's are you getting in the A?

When I drive it spirited I am getting around 8.2 L / 100 km (28.6 mpg).

Relaxed and calm driving get me around 6.8 / 7.1 L / 100 km (34.5 / 33.1 mpg). This is without Start/Stop, which I detest and have turned off all the time.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 09, 2019, 04:12:02 PM
I hope they explode and Nissan gets sued so hard that they turn back into Datsun.

I guess, but Leafs are notirouous for having bad battery cooling issues. I can't picture a bigger battery being better.

veeman

It looks like an angry bird (the game/cartoon).  Especially in red. 

12,000 RPM

Great powertrain, but the Maxima is the only Nissan I would even think to consider. And that has a disappointingly small (but really nice) interior.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs