New Crossover for the house

Started by MrH, January 14, 2019, 11:21:16 AM

Laconian

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 30, 2019, 05:48:14 PM
Mazda's Stop and Go is kind of annoying because it turns off if you're stopped for more than a few seconds. I don't know if other manufacturers do that or not.

Otherwise, it was awesome.

Personally though, I don't want to use any of these features other than radar cruise. I feel like it'd make me a lazy driver. More likely to zone out and whatnot.

On the Subaru you have to feather the throttle or press resume on cruise to get the car going again.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

This kind of shit makes me want to go back to 1960s automotive technology. Give me some real heavy metal bumpers to crush your silly plastic and foam while you check your facebook status.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 30, 2019, 05:48:14 PM
Mazda's Stop and Go is kind of annoying because it turns off if you're stopped for more than a few seconds. I don't know if other manufacturers do that or not.

F150 I rented this year did that too.
Let go of the brake and it starts up again and doesn't turn off again until you've driven some. So it was a game, if I knew I had a small gap to get into traffic I'd start it back up to be ready.

Also, the motor would turn on again by itself sometimes if it was hot and the A/C was working hard.
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 31, 2019, 07:30:53 PM
F150 I rented this year did that too.
Let go of the brake and it starts up again and doesn't turn off again until you've driven some. So it was a game, if I knew I had a small gap to get into traffic I'd start it back up to be ready.

Also, the motor would turn on again by itself sometimes if it was hot and the A/C was working hard.

Oh, I meant stop and go cruise control, not the engine on/off. Mazda's radar cruise control can bring the car to a complete stop, and start back up again when traffic moves as long as you haven't been stopped too long. Amazing for stop and go traffic.

AutobahnSHO

Will

r0tor

It's not that uncommon in cars today... But you still can't relax with it on because there is always some asshat that needs to cut you off or wedge his way in your lane

Also if you are on the highway with nobody in front of you and come up on cars that are dead stopped... They tend to not stop reliably in time if you are over 30 mph
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on February 01, 2019, 04:02:13 PM
It's not that uncommon in cars today... But you still can't relax with it on because there is always some asshat that needs to cut you off or wedge his way in your lane

Also if you are on the highway with nobody in front of you and come up on cars that are dead stopped... They tend to not stop reliably in time if you are over 30 mph

I thought Mazda's was a good balance of making stop and go traffic significantly more bearable without letting me get lazy. I'm more more weary of lane keep assist and Tesla Autopilot kinda stuff - I think I'd start to zone out too much or something if I got in the habit of using that. Until it's legit fully autonomous driving, I want to make sure I'm really paying attention.

You can adjust the following distance in the Mazda 6, which helps some if you adjust that for various traffic conditions. But yeah, you gotta keep an eye out for stopped traffic ahead of you and what not.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 01, 2019, 06:07:08 PM
I thought Mazda's was a good balance of making stop and go traffic significantly more bearable without letting me get lazy. I'm more more weary of lane keep assist and Tesla Autopilot kinda stuff - I think I'd start to zone out too much or something if I got in the habit of using that. Until it's legit fully autonomous driving, I want to make sure I'm really paying attention.

You can adjust the following distance in the Mazda 6, which helps some if you adjust that for various traffic conditions. But yeah, you gotta keep an eye out for stopped traffic ahead of you and what not.
That seems extremely dangerous to me.  If you start relying on this gizmo too much, your just not going to be as focused on driving as you should be.  Relying on this semi-autonomous stuff is just not good driving practice. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

One hazard in stop and go is when you have an asshole try to shoot in front of you but can't completely fit so only a fender or so is between you and the car that use to be right in front of you... You have to hope your car realizes its now following the partial car in front of you that is now much closer and can react quick enough to not hit it

I started using the system in the alfa at the beginning and just gave up as unpredictable idiots just increased stress levels.... Plus it's a bit more hyperactive in throttle/braking then I would drive
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Finally moving on this.  Going to the dealership tomorrow, should have something new coming back.  Tried my best to put in a new Miata in the deal too, but ultimately couldn't get anyone to get aggressive on trade in pricing for the S2000.  It's too risky for dealers.

So it will be a 2019 Mazda CX-5, Grand Touring. Black with black interior. Not sure if we're going to get the GT Premium package or not.

For $1625 MSRP, you get:

- Heads up display
- auto power folding side mirrors
- Heated rear seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Ventilated front seats
- Windshield wiper de-icer

Worth it?  I'm leaning towards no.  I do love a good heads up display though...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

Get the package.

Good choice much better than a CRV IMO.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

If she will be parking this in a garage, no, definitely not worth it

I'm thinking lighter exterior/interior colors will be better than ventilated seats in the summer. All that other shit is gimmicky crap
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

That's your opinion, man. A lot of people go nuts for heated stuff.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on April 19, 2019, 05:59:03 PM
That's your opinion, man. A lot of people go nuts for heated stuff.

It already has heated front seats though. Heated back seats are definitely not a necessity, and $1600 is a lot for a heated steering wheel when you can just wear gloves for a few extra minutes while the car warms up.

I'd have to try the vented seats to decide for sure, but personally, I probably wouldn't get the package.

Laconian

My mom loves the heated steering wheel. She's always suffered from cold hands. I wouldn't pay $1600 for it but she was all over it

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on April 19, 2019, 08:09:40 PM
My mom loves the heated steering wheel. She's always suffered from cold hands. I wouldn't pay $1600 for it but she was all over it

Heh, I have the opposite problem - I have to clean the Explorer's steering wheel all the time because it gets nasty from my sweaty hands.

But yeah, it's way too personal of a decision. Mike and la wifa need to decide this one their own.

HurricaneSteve

This is for your wife and you guys live in the midwest, right? Assuming it's a 5 year loan, $1,600 is only an extra $26 per month and will help with resale down the road, as those winters are no joke. Even if it's garaged, I still remember those days were it was super cold and a little extra warmth would have gone a long way if I had it.

FoMoJo

Heated steering wheel is nice.  Not so sure about the others.  Don't really see the point of the heads-up displays.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 20, 2019, 06:47:05 AM
Don't really see the point of the heads-up displays.

Keeps your eyes closer to the road.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 20, 2019, 07:01:00 AM
Keeps your eyes closer to the road.
What sort of information does it display typically? 

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 20, 2019, 07:22:23 AM
What sort of information does it display typically? 

Speed, RPM, maybe compass. 

SJ_GTI

I'd probably get the package just for the HUD.

r0tor

I love my heated steering wheel.

CALL_911

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 19, 2019, 05:05:57 PM
If she will be parking this in a garage, no, definitely not worth it

I'm thinking lighter exterior/interior colors will be better than ventilated seats in the summer. All that other shit is gimmicky crap

No

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on April 20, 2019, 08:30:14 AM
I love my heated steering wheel.

I love your heated steering wheel, too.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

A heated steering wheel is like putting your hands over a small fire. I love them.

MrH

Well. At the dealership now. The one without the package is damaged. That made the decision for us. Working out numbers now.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

HurricaneSteve

Congrats! You guys are getting the regular Grand Touring and not the Reserve, right?

MrH

Yep. Black grand touring with the tech package. It's her car, no turbo needed.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited