New Crossover for the house

Started by MrH, January 14, 2019, 11:21:16 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 14, 2019, 07:30:08 PM
2018 was the last year. Even though it looks almost identical, 2019 is a totally new generation. They dropped both the manual and the turbo motor from the Forester completely, and you haven't been able to get them together for a long time - I think since end of 2nd gen (2007). 2.5 N/A motor with CVT is the only choice on the Forester now.

Besides, this is gonna be wifey's car. I doubt she'd want to drive a manual anyway.

Well, screw that then.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 14, 2019, 06:45:08 PM
That's a thing!?

A nice thing. Not sure in black though. Looks a little hearse-ey.

Payman

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

WookieOnRitalin

How is the Forester underpowered for most driving situations?

Do you say to yourself, ah fuck, I wish I had 50 more hp for my trips to the grocery store.

It's a stupid mind trick that people play on themselves. All that HP with no practical purpose for it. Every day driving is about comfort, utility, and practicality. I do not know how you beat the Forester in this class in that regard.

The Forester main detraction is its skin.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

BimmerM3

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 14, 2019, 08:50:32 PM

Do you say to yourself, ah fuck, I wish I had 50 more hp for my trips to the grocery store.

It's a stupid mind trick that people play on themselves. All that HP with no practical purpose for it. Every day driving is about comfort, utility, and practicality. I do not know how you beat the Forester in this class in that regard.

It's contextual... we're talking to a guy who drives an S2000 and a 250 hp Accord. I agreed that it's slightly underpowered, but I also might buy one (though if I do, it'll probably be a couple years old so I can get the manual... i.e. even less powerful lol). I don't think anyone's saying that it's completely out of the question solely for that reason.

RAV4 and CR-V are just as practical and utile as the Forester, outside of off road use, which I don't think concerns Mike. Comfort is subjective and I haven't personally been in any of these vehicles yet.

Personally, I'd probably lean CX-5 or RAV4 for on-road use just because they have real autos instead of CVTs.

AutobahnSHO

True no one "needs" HP but when competitors offer more for around the same price and size of vehicle, why not??
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 14, 2019, 09:08:26 PM
True no one "needs" HP but when competitors offer more for around the same price and size of vehicle, why not??

Honestly, the four big Japanese names in this class are all pretty close. The RAV4 is really the only one with much of an edge, and even that isn't a very big edge.

Forester: 182 hp/176 ft-lbs.
RAV4: 203 hp/184 ft-lbs.
CR-V: 184 hp/180 ft-lbs.
CX-5: 187 hp/186 ft-lbs.

EDIT: I didn't know this until just now, but the CX-5 has an optional 250hp/310 ft-lbs. motor. 

2o6

Subaru's full time AWD and other things make it feel slow.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 14, 2019, 08:50:32 PM

I've heard many bad things about the Subaru CVT. I think it would be fine with a manual.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

0-60 (all from Motor Trend)

Forester: 9.6
RAV4: 8.5
CR-V: 8.6 in one article, 7.6 in another
CX-5 base: 8.3
CX-5 2.5T: 6.3

So yes, the Forester is slow for its class (and 9.6 is pretty much just straight up slow for 2019).

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 14, 2019, 09:24:56 PM

So yes, the Forester is slow for its class (and 9.6 is pretty much just straight up slow for 2019).

Those are pretty sad numbers, except the CX-5.

Might as well stop pussy footin around with these sissy crossovers. Get a real, actual truck wagon, like the new Kia Telluride.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Okay, so the Telluride is just another crossover, except bigger. How about a crew cab Ram 2500?

Laconian

TourX is a very intriguing proposition, though they are heeueuuguuuge and heavy.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on January 14, 2019, 09:42:05 PM
TourX is a very intriguing proposition, though they are heeueuuguuuge and heavy.

But the MPG is like 21/29. Yooge and heavy should make the ride smooth.

AutobahnSHO

As much as I love subies, the gas mileage and power are really pretty poor. Nothing beats them accelerating from a stop in snow or rain, but not everyone is a snowracer...
Will

CALL_911

I'd go turbo CX5, but that Passport suggestion is interesting. The new RAV4 also looks great.

Just please don't get a Nissan Rogue

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Xer0

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 14, 2019, 09:24:56 PM

I think the 8.6 in the CRV is for the base 2.4L while the 7.6 is for the 1.5T.  Still, until Honda figures their engine oil/gas issues out for that little guy, I wouldn't bother.  Also pretty hesitant about the CX-5.  Some family members recently got the last gen CX-5 with that gorgeous red paint and the paint started to chip within a couple of months of ownership.  My sister's Mazda3 from a few years ago also had random assembly issues.  I just don't think Mazda is there yet, especially at their more upmarket pricing.

I really like the TourX suggestion, stupid name aside.  It looks fantastic and supposedly drives pretty well too.  With no one buying them, maybe you can get a deal. 

MrH

Eh, I don't think we'll go wagon here.  Regal TourX is overpriced and got pretty bad reviews too.

My gut instinct before test driving is CX-5, just based on the spec sheet.  Best looking interior and exterior, sort of competitive pricing, rumored to be the best driving.  I liked the idea of the 2.5 turbo, but wife said that was overkill :lol:  I guess the base engine is enough for her.  For reference, she thought her old Tuscon was pretty quick.  Rav4 is kind of the left field consideration and adds some funk.  But yeah, not having a CVT is a big bonus.  Not a huge fan of most of them.  Forester is kind of something I want to at least see.  You can get some cool trim things on the Sport model, but yeah, gone are the days of the turbo :cry:

The 9-speed in the Passport is the same as the 9-speed in the Pilot, which consistently gets ripped on.  If we were to get a Pilot, I'd go with the EX-L, which uses the Honda 6-speed instead and is a much better transmission.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

:lol:  True car is showing $9k off MSRP for the RegalX.  Wow.  $40k MSRP for $32k.

Residuals are going to be trash on that car.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Wouldnt that $9K go towards the lease? They need to start calculating residuals off of ATPs rather than MSRPs
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

I meant for buying.  That thing is going to be worth half what a CR-V is worth after 3 years.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

HurricaneSteve

In your case, the CX-5 is the clear winner IMHO. Quiet, rides great, best driving vehicle in the segment and the reliability will be near the top as well. If I had to get a crossover today, that would be my pick.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Xer0 on January 15, 2019, 08:02:48 AM
I think the 8.6 in the CRV is for the base 2.4L while the 7.6 is for the 1.5T.  Still, until Honda figures their engine oil/gas issues out for that little guy, I wouldn't bother.  Also pretty hesitant about the CX-5.  Some family members recently got the last gen CX-5 with that gorgeous red paint and the paint started to chip within a couple of months of ownership.  My sister's Mazda3 from a few years ago also had random assembly issues.  I just don't think Mazda is there yet, especially at their more upmarket pricing.

I really like the TourX suggestion, stupid name aside.  It looks fantastic and supposedly drives pretty well too.  With no one buying them, maybe you can get a deal. 

Could be - I also didn't go out of my way to make sure that all of those times were AWD versions, so there could be some variability there too.

Laconian

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on January 15, 2019, 09:52:57 AM
In your case, the CX-5 is the clear winner IMHO. Quiet, rides great, best driving vehicle in the segment and the reliability will be near the top as well. If I had to get a crossover today, that would be my pick.

It doesn't make run on premix like the Earth Dreams 1.5, too. ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Those SkyActive motors with that zero weight oil and GDI sound like death when it's cold, though.

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on January 15, 2019, 11:36:50 AM
Those SkyActive motors with that zero weight oil and GDI sound like death when it's cold, though.

That's the sound of efficiency and driving dynamics!  It wakes up the soul!!! :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited