Subaru transitioning into Tesla?...

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 31, 2019, 07:31:37 PM

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Quote from: r0tor on February 12, 2019, 03:45:11 PM
Chances are most Crosstrek buyers would still be imprezza (or at least forester) owners if it didn't exist... I'm not sure how you actually convince yourself to buy one over the other

I wouldn't have bought an Imprezza and probably not a Forester if the Crosstrek didn't exist. Crosstrek looks very different than both.  It's shocks/struts/whatever are more robust than the Imprezzas and the raised height makes all the stylistic difference.  Forester, too me, looks kinda boring.  Crosstrek has some personality especially in some of their more unique colors.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 12, 2019, 04:22:10 PM
Oh, most cars (including the Mustang I mentioned above) turn off the cruise control as soon as you hit the clutch. At least with traditional cruise control. I don't know how a manual Civic, for example, would react.
It would react the same as it always has.... the manual Hondas don't have ACC :cry:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Why all this fuss about automated cruise control? It has no place in heavy traffic. But then, at least 53% of human drivers have no place in any traffic, so we're all fucked no matter what. Just drive a big old truck with metal bumpers and let the idiots bounce off it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 12, 2019, 04:33:50 PM
I mean, presumably if they really wanted to, they could create a mechanism that only controls the clutch with cruise control on or in emergency braking situations. But I can't imagine it'd be worth the cost.

Yeah, just put an electronic actuator on it. Or make it fully electric. might be kinda weird but who knows
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 12, 2019, 05:40:04 PM
Why all this fuss about automated cruise control? It has no place in heavy traffic.

Drive through Atlanta rush hour with it engaged. I think you will change your mind.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 12, 2019, 05:44:59 PM
Drive through Atlanta rush hour with it engaged. I think you will change your mind.

I haven't used the latest systems, but I disagree with them.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 12, 2019, 05:48:51 PM
I haven't used the latest systems, but I disagree with them.

I thought it was an acceptable balance of automation but me still having to pay attention because steering. I don't want lane keep though.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 12, 2019, 05:20:39 PM
It would react the same as it always has.... the manual Hondas don't have ACC :cry:

That was the main reason I went auto in the accord. Honda Sensing is really neutered on a manual.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 12, 2019, 04:07:34 PM

Ground clearance? I'd have thought that would be obvious... It's a big deal for outdoorsy people. I don't think the Impreza has X-Mode either. Not a big deal to me, but I don't know if most people would care.

That's what the forester is... A jacked up imprezza with different sheet metal rather than the jacked up imprezza with mostly the same sheet metal rather then the base imprezza

A Subaru buyer is going to be a Subaru buyer... Price, economy, and acceleration be damned
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 12, 2019, 05:40:04 PM
Why all this fuss about automated cruise control? It has no place in heavy traffic. But then, at least 53% of human drivers have no place in any traffic, so we're all fucked no matter what. Just drive a big old truck with metal bumpers and let the idiots bounce off it.

The new systems are designed for heavy traffic. :huh:
Much cheaper than fixing cars over and over....
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 12, 2019, 08:40:49 PM
The new systems are designed for heavy traffic. :huh:
Much cheaper than fixing cars over and over....

I find it pretty easy not to crash by using the foot pedals and the large hand ring to control the motor vehicle. It's the other drivers that always crash into me.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 12, 2019, 09:10:14 PM
I find it pretty easy not to crash by using the foot pedals and the large hand ring to control the motor vehicle. It's the other drivers that always crash into me.

cuz you're unpredictable and unstable    :popcorn:  :dance:  :rockon:  :pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:  :nutty:  :ohyeah:  :ohyeah:  :devil:  :devil:
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 12, 2019, 09:10:14 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

:lol: I lel'ed.

I will say, everyone who has said it's unnecessary, then rode with me and watched it in action in heavy traffic immediately get it.  If it's stop and go, you just turn it on and sit there.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on February 12, 2019, 06:32:12 PM
That's what the forester is... A jacked up imprezza with different sheet metal rather than the jacked up imprezza with mostly the same sheet metal rather then the base imprezza

A Subaru buyer is going to be a Subaru buyer... Price, economy, and acceleration be damned

Sub-compact vs. compact and ~$2500 difference.

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on February 13, 2019, 07:47:59 AM
:lol: I lel'ed.

TMI

Quote from: MrH on February 13, 2019, 07:47:59 AM
I will say, everyone who has said it's unnecessary, then rode with me and watched it in action in heavy traffic immediately get it.  If it's stop and go, you just turn it on and sit there.

Agreed, it's amazing. The Subaru has been rear-ended twice by inattentive phone-engrossed drivers in stop and go. At this point I think I prefer robots to do the tailgating.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on February 16, 2019, 02:12:36 PM
Agreed, it's amazing. The Subaru has been rear-ended twice by inattentive phone-engrossed drivers in stop and go. At this point I think I prefer robots to do the tailgating.

It's coming!

They need to build in the dashcams. Then you have easy court evidence and the meat-holding-steering-wheel cars will become detrimental vs the computer cars.
Will