Ford builds the perfect Focus, and we can't have it.

Started by Payman, February 18, 2019, 07:51:06 AM

CaminoRacer

Ridiculous

America is a 2nd class citizen when it comes to cars sometimes. It's strange. I guess there's too many "GOTTA SHOW OFF MY BIG DICK, GIMME THAT F-650" customers.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

What the fuck is wrong with Merrica? :neverforget:
I would like the 2.0 turbo diesel, as well. Imagine puttin around town with 300 torks just off idle.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

The only thing that was compelling about the last gen Focus ST was that it was substantially cheaper than its rivals because they didn't sell at all :huh:

Civic Type R/Si and VW GTI/R are all better cars.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on February 18, 2019, 08:56:45 AM
The only thing that was compelling about the last gen Focus ST was that it was substantially cheaper than its rivals because they didn't sell at all :huh:

Nothing wrong with competition. The WRX hasn't been updated as much since the Evo died.

Payman

How do you know they're better than the new ST?

12,000 RPM

The Focus ST is a better car than the previous Civic Si.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Subjective.  No reason to believe that the ST was of a lesser quality.  The appealing aspect, according to those who test for a living, was that it was more fun; and, after all, isn't that why you buy/own a car of that type?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Quote from: Rockraven on February 18, 2019, 09:00:37 AM
How do you know they're better than the new ST?

I don't.  I just didn't get too excited about the last one.  The best thing about it was how cheap they were.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Xer0

Ford gave the American's everything for a whole generation, Focus ST/Fiesta ST/Focus RS, and we didn't buy them.  Too bad, so sad, it is what it is.

And FWIW, I thought the last gen ST looked better.  This looks too cute and bubbly.  The interior is a huge improvement though.

Payman

Quote from: Xer0 on February 18, 2019, 10:55:46 AM
Ford gave the American's everything for a whole generation, Focus ST/Fiesta ST/Focus RS, and we didn't buy them.  Too bad, so sad, it is what it is.

And FWIW, I thought the last gen ST looked better.  This looks too cute and bubbly.  The interior is a huge improvement though.

True for the US, but we still buy lots of small cars up here. The last ST actually sold well enough in Canada.

MrH

Everyone said the Fiesta ST was great to drive, but I don't think I could ever get over the asymmetrical dash :lol:  My friend had a lime green Fiesta hatch.  Once he pointed that out to me, I couldn't stop thinking about it every time I rode in it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

MrH

Yeah.  The center radio area of the dash isn't in the middle of the car!  The driver side is all bigger than the passenger side.  There's more space on that side.  I get why they did it, but it bothers me.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

shp4man

I actually like my little Focus and trust me, I'm not really a Ford fanboy.

Speed_Racer

Maybe they'll make an Ecosport ST for us speed-lovin Americans  :devil:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 18, 2019, 11:49:31 AM
Maybe they'll make an Ecosport ST for us speed-lovin Americans  :devil:
We do get an Edge ST :huh:.

I'm waiting for the mini Bronco to show up.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Laconian

Quote from: Xer0 on February 18, 2019, 10:55:46 AM

And it screwed up the opportunity with the PowerShift auto. Black circle marks for Consumer Reports!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 18, 2019, 11:52:53 AM
We do get an Edge ST :huh:.

I'm waiting for the mini Bronco to show up.

Your Canadian brethren (The Straight Pipes) ripped that thing.  It's unbelievably expensive for what it is.

I'm waiting for the full big bad Bronco to show up.  That should be cool.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

WRiting a driver's car off because of its dash is.... strange

But the best hipo Ford crossovers are Lincolns. I just dont understand who is buying a 4500lb school bus for performance driving.

Xer0

Quote from: Laconian on February 18, 2019, 12:17:09 PM
And it screwed up the opportunity with the PowerShift auto. Black circle marks for Consumer Reports!

I had the Focus as a rental for a week.  Ugh, that tranny is pretty horrible even if it isn't a possible reliability nightmare.

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on February 18, 2019, 11:27:32 AM
Everyone said the Fiesta ST was great to drive, but I don't think I could ever get over the asymmetrical dash :lol:  My friend had a lime green Fiesta hatch.  Once he pointed that out to me, I couldn't stop thinking about it every time I rode in it.

I love my step-mom's Fiesta ST. It's a blast to drive.

Radio looks pretty centered to me? I certainly never noticed any asymmetry when I was driving the car either.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 18, 2019, 01:13:48 PM
I love my step-mom's Fiesta ST. It's a blast to drive.

Radio looks pretty centered to me? I certainly never noticed any asymmetry when I was driving the car either.

Fiesta is pretty huge inside. Very comfy. I need to go say 'hi' to mine, today.

But that asymmetry. One side has a big sturrin wheel and dials. The other side is empty!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on February 18, 2019, 12:18:48 PM
Your Canadian brethren (The Straight Pipes) ripped that thing.  It's unbelievably expensive for what it is.

I'm waiting for the full big bad Bronco to show up.  That should be cool.
I really don't see the point of the Edge ST, though I did like the Edge Sport that it replaced.  The big Bronco, as the media has speculated on, seems a bit huge for my needs, but if the mini Bronco had good headroom and a decent drive train, it should be perfect for our needs.  Depends on which platform they used.

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 18, 2019, 01:11:18 PM
WRiting a driver's car off because of its dash is.... strange

But the best hipo Ford crossovers are Lincolns. I just dont understand who is buying a 4500lb school bus for performance driving.

It is a complaint I have with my Focus. Needlessly bulky and fussy. I love the simple dashes in Mazdas.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on February 18, 2019, 04:28:30 PM
It is a complaint I have with my Focus. Needlessly bulky and fussy. I love the simple dashes in Mazdas.
I mean it's one thing to not like how an interior looks. It's another thing to write a car off because it's asymmetrical by 0.8mm. Give me the better driving car.

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 18, 2019, 05:03:40 PM
I mean it's one thing to not like how an interior looks. It's another thing to write a car off because it's asymmetrical by 0.8mm. Give me the better driving car.

It's not ugly, and certainly not a deal breaker. The new Focus interior is a yuge improvement.

shp4man

I don't mind the dash but will say that the POS has the absolute worst glove box of any car Ive ever owned.

2o6

The ST cars sold great, and were great.

The problem is Ford is a poorly run company, and estimated the sales of the ST to be far too high. Not to mention, they were prolly losing money on the whole nameplate because of quality issues (powershift).

Ford sucks. The Bronco is going to flop.

68_427

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 18, 2019, 08:59:54 AM
Nothing wrong with competition. The WRX hasn't been updated as much since the Evo died.

Subaru has actually been continually improving the WRX/STI year after year.  Not major changes, but a bunch of little ones that add up to a much improved car.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no