Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on November 06, 2014, 01:53:35 PM
SEMA looks so good this year compared to the last few.

Really? Bunch of useless shit at SEMA. Last time I went, the best thing about the show was the press room.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Gotta stick to the major companies at SEMA. Most of the smaller ones are just selling garbage. Of course I just went to look at cars.

ifcar

Found this while refilling my windshield washer fluid. I am pleased to not see anything in the nest that looks like wires or upholstery:

MexicoCityM3

I went out with my dad to do some dealership sightseeing. I enjoy doing this with him every now and then since we both love cars.

No plans of buying anything, just a good time out with my old man.

Today we went to look at all these:

- Acura TSX

I liked it. I think it's good value for the money if what you're looking for is an overall great car, even if it's not really an enthusiast's ride. It is priced very well. I found it slightly small inside now that I'm used to the 5er. I like the looks and the interior quality is very good. Also has a lot of gadgets standard that if you option up in a BMW cost you an arm and a leg.

- Clio RS

Renault is finally selling here the european Clio RS again. It has sure grown a lot since my dad had one about 10 years ago or so. It is almost as big as the Megane was back then. It was locked which I found lame. It's not as if it is an exotic. It costs a bit below 30K here. I liked the looks but didn't love it. Still, it is good that we get this car.

- Mazda 6, new Camry, Hyundai Sonata

The Sonata and Camry are new (the Sonata just went on sale here). The cars matched my previous prejudices about them 6 > Camry > Sonata. Only one of the three I could imagine getting is the 6. It has better finish & design both in & out. A bit lame it's only available with the 4 cylinder. Only real contender would be the Accord IMO.

- New Mustang 5.0L GT Manual

Fuck we loved this car and were all over it. I hope I can gift a 'Stang to dad sometime in the not so far off future. Maybe my sister and I can pull it off 50/50 for his birthday in December 2015. I frankly loved the new Mustang. What a great car. We started the engine. The sound of a good american V8 is great. The interior is reasonably good now. The shifter felt great (didn't drive it). I feel this is one of the last great analog cars. Dad would be very happy even with a V6 though. The EcoBoost is not available here for some reason.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FoMoJo

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 15, 2014, 08:31:03 PM
I went out with my dad to do some dealership sightseeing. I enjoy doing this with him every now and then since we both love cars.

No plans of buying anything, just a good time out with my old man.

Today we went to look at all these:

- Acura TSX

I liked it. I think it's good value for the money if what you're looking for is an overall great car, even if it's not really an enthusiast's ride. It is priced very well. I found it slightly small inside now that I'm used to the 5er. I like the looks and the interior quality is very good. Also has a lot of gadgets standard that if you option up in a BMW cost you an arm and a leg.

- Clio RS

Renault is finally selling here the european Clio RS again. It has sure grown a lot since my dad had one about 10 years ago or so. It is almost as big as the Megane was back then. It was locked which I found lame. It's not as if it is an exotic. It costs a bit below 30K here. I liked the looks but didn't love it. Still, it is good that we get this car.

- Mazda 6, new Camry, Hyundai Sonata

The Sonata and Camry are new (the Sonata just went on sale here). The cars matched my previous prejudices about them 6 > Camry > Sonata. Only one of the three I could imagine getting is the 6. It has better finish & design both in & out. A bit lame it's only available with the 4 cylinder. Only real contender would be the Accord IMO.

- New Mustang 5.0L GT Manual

Fuck we loved this car and were all over it. I hope I can gift a 'Stang to dad sometime in the not so far off future. Maybe my sister and I can pull it off 50/50 for his birthday in December 2015. I frankly loved the new Mustang. What a great car. We started the engine. The sound of a good american V8 is great. The interior is reasonably good now. The shifter felt great (didn't drive it). I feel this is one of the last great analog cars. Dad would be very happy even with a V6 though. The EcoBoost is not available here for some reason.
If your dad is old school, and your plan works out, get him the GT.  V6 would be okay but the V8 would be great.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 16, 2014, 06:26:54 AM
If your dad is old school, and your plan works out, get him the GT.  V6 would be okay but the V8 would be great.

Yeah, I think a used V8 might be better than a new V6.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

hotrodalex

Fun fact, 2013 Camaro ZL1 had the new 2013 taillights but the older style front end design. Apparently for more cooling.

CALL_911

I can't wait for the day I can buy my pops a cool car

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FoMoJo

Quote from: ifcar on November 15, 2014, 07:23:22 PM
Found this while refilling my windshield washer fluid. I am pleased to not see anything in the nest that looks like wires or upholstery:

When was the last time you looked under the hood?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

ifcar

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 17, 2014, 05:42:49 AM
When was the last time you looked under the hood?

It had been a couple of months; nothing since the last oil change.

FoMoJo

Good article...

The 2015 Ford Mustang and Ford F-150 are two of my favorite new vehicles. They are as different as chocolate and steak. Sport and utility. Knife and fork.

It's nice having both tools in your drawer as I discovered last week.

The last time I drove the Mustang was in September over sunny Los Angeles' serpentine Route 2. It's a road that, if pulled into a straight line, would reach to Kalamazoo. I revved, tossed, and generally rung the neck of this newly-nimble stallion through turns that would have tamed the last generation, solid-rear axle pony. The Porsche 911 I chased is probably still trying to hammer out the pony teeth marks in his rear bumper.

more...http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/henry-payne/2014/11/28/ford-mustang-garage-makes-wicked-season-tag-team/19647461/

FoMoJo

I cannot imagine what it would be like in the cockpit traveling that fast.  Wish him well.

Faster than a speeding bullet? Meet the world's first 1000mph car

What has a jet engine, a rocket booster and travels on a set of aluminum wheels? It's the Bloodhound SuperSonic Car (SSC) and it has plans to hit the world land speed record at 1000mph.

Made of titanium, carbon fiber and, like superman, is designed to go faster than a speeding bullet, the Bloodhound SSC has been painstakingly put together and tested over the better part of six years.

In 2016, the UK-based team plan to take the 42-foot (8.9m) vehicle to Hakskeen Pan, a dry lake bed in South Africa, for a crack at the record breaking attempt.

Former fighter jet pilot Royal Air Force (RAF) Wing Commander Andy Green said even designing a car that can hold together at these blistering speeds has been a triumph of the engineer's art.
"No rubber," he told CNN from The Bloodhound Project headquarters in Bristol, UK. "Beyond about 450mph it's really, really hard to keep a tire on - they just get flung off. So we have solid aluminum.

"We've been through a huge evolution of finding something that's tough enough that would do the job. Basically this car goes faster than a speeding bullet, so anything that hits this is like being shot at from a gun."

The former jet ace, who has flown combat missions over Iraq, Bosnia and Afghanistan, can lay claim to be the only man to have broken the sound barrier in the air and on land. In 1997, he hit 763mph or Mach 1 in the vehicle ThrustSSC to become the first man to break the sound barrier on land.

The Bloodhound Project takes the land speed record a step further in a car that is part jet fighter, part Formula 1 racer and part space rocket.

"A thousand miles an hour at ground level is faster than any jet fighter has ever traveled in history, so there are going to be some major challenges," Green said.

Besides three engines delivering 135,000 horsepower, the Bloodhound is equipped with rocket boosters to deliver the thrust necessary to get it to 1000mph.

"(The jet engines) on their own will take us to 600mph or thereabouts, but to get a land speed record, at about 350 miles an hour we turn on a rocket engine to take us all the way through to a 1000mph," said lead designer Mark Chapman. "The rocket is the key -- that's the difference between 750mph and 1000mph."

The Bloodhound team scoured the globe to find a desert run that could accommodate a vehicle which, at 1000mph, is likely to run out of road in a matter of seconds. The requirements were a perfectly flat landscape, at least 12 miles long and two miles wide.

They eventually selected Hakskeen Pan, in Northern Cape, South Africa where Bloodhound SSC will cover a mile in 3.6 seconds -- equivalent to 4.5 football pitches laid end to end every second.

Having already set the land speed record, Green is in a good place to describe what it is like in the cockpit of the world's fastest cars. Even so, the new challenges presented by Bloodhound SSC sometimes leave him lost for words.

"The best single description I've ever heard was from the late, great Art Arfons who set three world records in the 1960s and got up to almost 600mph.
"Somebody asked him one day what it was like and he said: 'What is it like to drive a land-speed (record)? To drive a jet car to do 600 miles an hour over the ground?

"And he said: 'It's a bit like the taste of chocolate. If you've never had a bar of chocolate I am really going to struggle to explain what it is like'."

Ultimately, he said, the cockpit is place of tremendous G forces, heat and vibration.

"In a land-speed car, that's just a normal day in the office. Uncomfortable, but that's what it's like. It's hugely busy, it's very hot, it's very noisy. Apart from all those things, it should be fairly simple."

While the aim of the project is to crack the magic 1000mph mark (the closest yet has been an American F104 jet fighter which flew just above ground level at 988mph), Green said the ultimately the record attempt is about instilling a sense of engineering progress in future generations.

"This about developing technology. This is about finding out new things. This is about exploring," he said. "And the story of engineering exploration is about the failures and the challenges, not just about the successes."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/04/tech/innovation/make-create-innovate-bloodhound-supersonic-car/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

AutobahnSHO

crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched the vid from some engineer woman who drove the fastest motorcycle with sidecar record setter, just crazy crazy crazy, and they weren't going as nutty fast as this.
Will

AutobahnSHO

You are driving a brand-new Accord coupe, you come to a light at a well -marked 35mph intersection.

Do you:

A. Wait for the light to change and go right or left,

Or
B. Wait for the light to change then swing a left turn so wide you bounce both right wheels up over the curb, breaking the plastic faux mud flap off the rear wheel well?

Then keep driving like nothing happened.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 05, 2014, 02:20:50 PM
You are driving a brand-new Accord coupe, you come to a light at a well -marked 35mph intersection.

Do you:

A. Wait for the light to change and go right or left,

Or
B. Wait for the light to change then swing a left turn so wide you bounce both right wheels up over the curb, breaking the plastic faux mud flap off the rear wheel well?

Then keep driving like nothing happened.

#invisibletrailer

I believe pretending to have a trailer is a popular game in South Carolina.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

LOL

But this was in Georgia, with GA plates. ;)
Will

FoMoJo

Another big "barn find"...

$14 million for classic car found under a pile of French magazines?

Early next year, bidders are expected to shell out millions for cars that stood around in Roger Baillon's yard for decades.

The French truck manufacturing mogul had big dreams for them. He wanted to found a museum and build a miniature railroad loop for visitors to ride around and view them, a Paris auction house said.

But the plans evaporated when his business went bust in the 1970s. He sold off nearly half of his collection, but 60 of his classic European luxury and sports cars -- many built in the first half of the 20th century -- remained and collected rust, dust and weeds for about 50 years.

Until car experts from auction house Artcurial recently came upon them in a small town in western France, not far from La Rochelle.
$14.9 million

Now, buyers will probably write checks for hundreds of thousands for just one of the sagging exquisite carriages. Artcurial will put them under the hammer in February and expects the crown jewel in the collection, a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder, to fetch 9.5 million to 12 million euros ($11 million to $14.9 million).

The convertible was one of only 37 of its kind made, and it is in comparatively great condition, as it slumbered behind the doors of a snug garage, Artcurial said.

It was piled high with copies of a vintage magazine, La Vie de l'Auto -- Car Life -- when Artcurial's car expert Pierre Novikoff found it.

The Ferrari's roommate in the garage was a 1956 Maserati A6G Gran Sport Frua that auctioneers think will go for 800,000 to 1.2 million euros (about $990,000 to nearly $1.5 million).

more...http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/10/world/europe/france-14-million-dollar-car/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Eye of the Tiger

I don't know what the question is, but the answer is Miata.

NomisR

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on January 07, 2015, 04:50:09 PM
Not chili?

That is only when the answer must be eaten. One should not eat a Miata.

NomisR

You can add chili to a car though.

MexicoCityM3

My business partner who sold me the M5 is getting a new 435i Gran Coupe. He had been using his "beater" '13 Cruze this past few months but has grown tired of it.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

hotrodalex

New trend, burled walnut hoods?

Rupert

Cool, but seems like a fire hazard.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

68_427

Wrapped or hydrodipped
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 10, 2015, 08:26:30 PM
Lame. I want real wood.

Piece of real burl that big would cost more than the car.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Volkswagen guys are always on the cutting edge of hipster.

Also, terrible Photoshop.