Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on May 05, 2016, 09:31:54 AM
I could go for a lease on a Discovery Sport instead of getting an Evo/STI and kill two birds, but I don't know if I'd be happy with that. In that case, it really would never be a true replacement for daily driving the Z4. It would pretty much only be a snow/heavy rain car, I wouldn't just use it for an exceptionally cold day. Lease would make sense since I'd never drive it more than 10K a year under those circumstances and wouldn't want to keep it after the warranty.

SUVs have never been my favorite, but I can't deny their usefulness. Like when I'm doing things like driving a hundred miles to transport two chairs over two trips in my convertible.....

You'd be surprised how often you'd use it if you had it available all the time.  I was surprised how often I'd be tired, or felt bad, and just wanted to take the more comfortable ride than the sports car. 

Even once I have the S2000 totally fixed up, I'll still take the 4Runner to work in the summers sometimes.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

There has been a late model RX on the side of the highway for a few weeks now :confused:

Saw the new MKX on the road... it looks pretty good
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: MrH on May 05, 2016, 11:31:54 AM
You'd be surprised how often you'd use it if you had it available all the time.  I was surprised how often I'd be tired, or felt bad, and just wanted to take the more comfortable ride than the sports car. 

Even once I have the S2000 totally fixed up, I'll still take the 4Runner to work in the summers sometimes.

I just don't think I could daily drive something with an automatic. They're so annoying in traffic.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

It can be relaxing. Completely changes your mindset. When you have the "OK this is not a driver's car in any capacity" moment you let out a sigh and become a roadway civilian

I dont know that I could ever commit to such a car but when I do drive them it's a little relaxing for me.

MrH

It's a nice option to have, especially if you're going to be driving for a long time.  Stop and go traffic in a race car gets old.

The 4Runner feels like driving a relaxing tank.  I can hit potholes and rail road tracks at full speed and barely feel it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 13, 2016, 07:48:40 AM
It can be relaxing. Completely changes your mindset. When you have the "OK this is not a driver's car in any capacity" moment you let out a sigh and become a roadway civilian

You mean like your Civic? I totally get that.

:evildude:

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

ifcar

When I'm driving a car with a manual, I'm more likely to adjust my schedule to avoid rush hour; with an automatic, it's not as annoying to sit through stop-and-go. Foot off the brake, foot back on the brake. Repeat a thousand times.

CaminoRacer

Pssh I never mind driving a racecar in traffic (as long as it doesn't have overheating problems). Just gives people more time to admire your superiority. :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

One of my neighbors got the facelifted Exploder in forest green. It looks really good. Still too big for my tastes, and clearly a double down on the Range Rover ripoff (even though technically the current Exploder preceeded the current Range Rover), but nice. I wish they had taken the Escape in the same design direction. Maybe with the next gen.

I am really warming up to the idea of those tack on tablets in the dash. They have to be big though. If I do my stereo for Xmas I am going to make a single DIN tablet mount. Mirror it off my phone and use BT audio to a HU. 8.4" of modernity

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 16, 2016, 10:41:24 AM
One of my neighbors got the facelifted Exploder in forest green. It looks really good. Still too big for my tastes, and clearly a double down on the Range Rover ripoff (even though technically the current Exploder preceeded the current Range Rover), but nice. I wish they had taken the Escape in the same design direction. Maybe with the next gen.

I am really warming up to the idea of those tack on tablets in the dash. They have to be big though. If I do my stereo for Xmas I am going to make a single DIN tablet mount. Mirror it off my phone and use BT audio to a HU. 8.4" of modernity

but they did tho

68_427

I think he means the overall boxier look of the Explorer.  The Escape and Explorer look nothing alike.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on May 13, 2016, 12:56:18 PM
When I'm driving a car with a manual, I'm more likely to adjust my schedule to avoid rush hour; with an automatic, it's not as annoying to sit through stop-and-go. Foot off the brake, foot back on the brake. Repeat a thousand times.

It's funny, to me a manual is easier in rush hour traffic. No constant creeping, you can take both your feet off the pedals on level ground, and you can move the car with just the clutch. Maybe I'm just out of practice in automatics, but I just don't like them in traffic.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on May 17, 2016, 06:31:06 AM
It's funny, to me a manual is easier in rush hour traffic. No constant creeping, you can take both your feet off the pedals on level ground, and you can move the car with just the clutch. Maybe I'm just out of practice in automatics, but I just don't like them in traffic.

Well, whether you can drive with just the clutch depends on how the car's gearing agrees with the acceleration rates and speeds of the cars around you. At least for me, sometimes it works, often it doesn't. And I'll have my foot on the brake regardless at a stop.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 68_427 on May 16, 2016, 12:59:54 PM
I think he means the overall boxier look of the Explorer.  The Escape and Explorer look nothing alike.
Yea I don't like the Escape's greenhouse. Looks like a RAV4 which sucks. Much prefer the store brand Range Rover look of the Exploder

MrH

What's everyone's thoughts on the R53 Mini Cooper S?  They're dropping to really reasonable prices, they're fun as hell to drive.  I can't imagine they're going to depreciate much more.  Seems like they wouldn't be a bad buy to have around as a grocery getter.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: MrH on May 17, 2016, 07:41:50 AM
What's everyone's thoughts on the R53 Mini Cooper S?  They're dropping to really reasonable prices, they're fun as hell to drive.  I can't imagine they're going to depreciate much more.  Seems like they wouldn't be a bad buy to have around as a grocery getter.

It will bankrupt you.

Get the one after it.

Rich

you want a 3rd car?  The 4Runner will tackle the hairiest of parking lots perfectly.

The R53's supercharger is only good for about 100-150k miles, engine mounts blow, and the thermostat housing goes bad leaking coolant.  Windshields and window motors need replacement a lot too. 

Fun as hell to drive though
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

The one after it is also more comfortable to drive, but you'd have three cars.

If you want a fun FWD hatchback for nothing, SVT focus or bust

MrH

They're that bad?  Wow, didn't realize that.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

2001 Integra GS-R would deliver all the thrills with none of the headache

SVT Focus could work if you can look past the interior. It looks like a 3D rendering that lost its reference points.

Rich

Quote from: MrH on May 17, 2016, 08:08:42 AM
They're that bad?  Wow, didn't realize that.

Just get one from CarMax with a warrantee haha

I don't even know if CarMax keeps older cars
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

It loses its appeal when you say the reliability is so bad that it's worth getting from carmax.

It's no longer a cheap idea anymore :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on May 17, 2016, 09:14:14 AM
It loses its appeal when you say the reliability is so bad that it's worth getting from carmax.

It's no longer a cheap idea anymore :lol:

who cares if CarMax pays??    :lol:

Will

MrH

Buying something that cheap from carmax and then adding in a warranty just about doubled the price.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on May 17, 2016, 11:05:51 AM
Buying something that cheap from carmax and then adding in a warranty just about doubled the price.

but Quadrupled the fun    :rockon:  :rockon:
Will

MrH

$$$ doesn't equal fun necessarily.

In other funny pricing news:  You can get a Nissan Leaf with 20k miles for around $7k-$8k :wtf:  The incentives made for all sorts of wacky lease deals.  If the range was 110-120 miles, I would pull the trigger immediately.  88 is pushing it though.  Work is 66 miles round trip.

And now Colorado just implemented a $5,000 incentive on every electric car sold.  That, plus $7500 for the federal deal, and the whole used market for Ford Fusion Energi and Chevy Volts is going to be bizarre in a year or two.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

hmmm..... 

My commute is 2miles 3x per day
Will

MrH

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 18, 2016, 07:29:43 AM
hmmm..... 

My commute is 2miles 3x per day

Don't you have an Odyssey, and your wife has some sort of Subaru hatch?

Do you still have that subaru you had too, or is that gone now?

EDIT:  Oh, just saw your sig.  I have sigs turned off.  Anyways, if you were looking for a 3rd car, I'd go find the cheapest leaf I could possible find.  Not necessarily to save gas, but the wear and tear of doing 2 miles journeys over and over isn't great for a car.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on May 18, 2016, 08:25:29 AM
Don't you have an Odyssey, and your wife has some sort of Subaru hatch?

Do you still have that subaru you had too, or is that gone now?

EDIT:  Oh, just saw your sig.  I have sigs turned off.  Anyways, if you were looking for a 3rd car, I'd go find the cheapest leaf I could possible find.  Not necessarily to save gas, but the wear and tear of doing 2 miles journeys over and over isn't great for a car.

I'm not actively looking for a car, but I kinda want one. Miata is my dream but not the most common-sense solution. :mrcool:   Agree on wear and tear: wife drives Subie about 10miles one way every day. I take van on longer trips, as it is meant to be the family vehicle, but it's a drag to drive around local.
(We put almost 20k miles on Odyssey from Feb 2015 (purchase) to now. Part of that was the drive up from SC when we moved.)

Should have kept Legacy but wife for some reason gets anxious about multiple cars. :huh:  When we still had 4 (old white van, 2 Subies, Odyssey,) she literally was up late thinking about them sometimes. We have liability only on all of them, so older ones are like $20/month to keep. :huh: 
Will