Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MexicoCityM3

M5 SMG saga latest update:

Car was hooked up to a working battery to continue diagnosing. The SMG pump motor is definitely not working. It does not make any noise at all. No visible fluid leaks. Relays have been checked and found to be ok.

Next step, as originally expected, will be to replace the pump motor. That will happen in a week or so after ECS Tuning ships it and it clears customs down here.

Pray for me.  Because if that doesn't cut it - it'll be the full pump.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

mzziaz

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 13, 2016, 05:33:15 PM
M5 SMG saga latest update:

Car was hooked up to a working battery to continue diagnosing. The SMG pump motor is definitely not working. It does not make any noise at all. No visible fluid leaks. Relays have been checked and found to be ok.

Next step, as originally expected, will be to replace the pump motor. That will happen in a week or so after ECS Tuning ships it and it clears customs down here.

Pray for me.  Because if that doesn't cut it - it'll be the full pump.
Fingers still crossed.

The GT4 is a mighty tempting car, and with the limited production the might hold their value pretty damn good.
Cuore Sportivo

MexicoCityM3

Partner didn't go for it so it ain't happening.

I need to stop making these crazy announcements and take some time off from looking at cars. Maybe it's the shock of adjusting to new reality as a dad?

Having said that, looking at X5s now.

:facepalm:
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

93JC

Pfsh, why'd you even marry her?

[/sarcasm]

FlatBlackCaddy

So much for your "brother", sounds like an asshat. You should get new friends.

Wow, gt4 cayman, you had a chance to own a great german car and you let it slip through your hands, you could have participated in a historic moment in porsche history.

Well, whatever, enjoy your bee em double yous.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 93JC on July 14, 2016, 08:54:50 PM
Pfsh, why'd you even marry her?

[/sarcasm]
Not wife, business partner.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 14, 2016, 08:59:57 PM
So much for your "brother", sounds like an asshat. You should get new friends.

Wow, gt4 cayman, you had a chance to own a great german car and you let it slip through your hands, you could have participated in a historic moment in porsche history.

Well, whatever, enjoy your bee em double yous.
I know.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

93JC

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 14, 2016, 09:05:23 PM
Not wife, business partner.

Oh. That's even worse than marriage.

MexicoCityM3

M5 saga update. So, I ordered the goddam parts (pump motor) 3 days ago and they showed then a 3 day availability. They didn't ship today so I opened a chat with ECS Tuning to see what was up. Now they say the part is back ordered - no ETA. Fuck those guys. Couldn't they tell me that before?

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Looking elsewhere for the part. Of course this means best case a week delay or so in advancing with the fix.

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 14, 2016, 07:29:42 PM
Partner didn't go for it so it ain't happening.

I need to stop making these crazy announcements and take some time off from looking at cars. Maybe it's the shock of adjusting to new reality as a dad?

Having said that, looking at X5s now.

:facepalm:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

M5 update. Managed to get the pump motor at a different place. Shipped and should be at the mechanic on Thursday.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CaminoRacer

Mazda6 has been scary to drive the past month. The brakes shake the car like the rotors are warped 10x as bad as usual. The suspect was the caliper slide bolts, which turned out to be a correct diagnosis. I don't think they're supposed to look like this:

A little bit of wire wheel and bench grinder action and they're smooth-ish again. :praise:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

"Help meeeee"

Someone's got a sick sense of humor
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

T-shirt sale!

https://tunedintokyo.com/

I got Race Wars and Just Drift It

Galaxy

A Trabant has lost control on snails.

I am not sure if this is an indication of soviet engineering or if the poor thing was just unfortunate. To be fair, for a car that has rolled it does not look that bad.

AutobahnSHO

Will

ifcar

Quote from: Galaxy on July 21, 2016, 02:59:35 AM

I am not sure if this is an indication of soviet engineering or if the poor thing was just unfortunate. To be fair, for a car that has rolled it does not look that bad.

I guess those skinny little tires are more susceptible if you happen to hit a small slick patch. But it is impressive that the roof held up well.

FoMoJo

Quote from: ifcar on July 21, 2016, 09:15:04 AM
I guess those skinny little tires are more susceptible if you happen to hit a small slick patch. But it is impressive that the roof held up well.
Must be made out of a very good plastic...or titanium :hmm:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

CaminoRacer

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 21, 2016, 09:21:49 AM
Must be made out of a very good plastic...or titanium :hmm:.

Aren't Trabbies all made out of some soy based fiberglass material?  I mean I remember stories about cows and goats eating their fenders
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 21, 2016, 09:51:44 AM
Aren't Trabbies all made out of some soy based fiberglass material?  I mean I remember stories about cows and goats eating their fenders

It is made out of cotton fibers which are then soaked with Phenol formaldehyde resin.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on July 21, 2016, 02:59:35 AM

What's with what appears to be a bed pan and a roll of toilet paper on the side of the road>

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 21, 2016, 09:04:58 AM
LOVE the color, love the car, not a fan of the driving.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/20/12235128/skateboarder-mclaren-windshield-smash-250000-dollar-video?yptr=yahoo

Hah!  That's what you get for being a douche. 

I was just listening to a podcast talking about money, charity, happiness, etc.  They did an experiment where they would stage a person near a crosswalk looking like they're waiting to cross and see what cars stop (the law) and which didn't (unlawful).  Surprise surprise, half of the more expensive cars never stopped, whereas ALL of the cheaper, plebian cars stopped for the pedestrian to cross.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 21, 2016, 10:30:19 AM

I was just listening to a podcast talking about money, charity, happiness, etc.  They did an experiment where they would stage a person near a crosswalk looking like they're waiting to cross and see what cars stop (the law) and which didn't (unlawful).  Surprise surprise, half of the more expensive cars never stopped, whereas ALL of the cheaper, plebian cars stopped for the pedestrian to cross.
Kind of fits in with a driving experience I had a couple of weeks ago.  Stop and go traffic and 2 cars were waiting to pull into the stream from a strip mall parking lot, the first one a plebeian make of some sort, the second a high end Mercedes with someone resembling Aristotle Onassis sitting at the wheel.  My impulse, as a courteous driver, was to let the first one in, assuming the second one would wait for some other courteous driver to do the same for him...several cars in front of me had not let them in.  I left a gap and the first guy tentatively pulled in front of me and waved...the second guy about 2 inches off his bumper.  When I saw this, the indignant part of me determined to squeeze him out thinking "Who does he think he is?" He didn't even look at me and it seemed he would've driven right into me rather than wait, so there he went, half on the sidewalk and half on the road 'til he got to the corner and turned right.  I thought, 'what an asshole'.

Seems that driving a high end car gives you privilege.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 21, 2016, 10:30:19 AM

I always stop for pedestrians entering crosswalks.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Raza  on July 21, 2016, 10:50:34 AM
I always stop for pedestrians entering crosswalks.

Me too. Washing blood off my paint is hard work.